News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Testers needed: Kirby's Super Star Stacker English Patch  (Read 21579 times)

Reld

• View Profile
Re: Testers needed: Kirby's Super Star Stacker English Patch
« Reply #140 on: August 05, 2019, 10:30:45 pm »
Sorry I'm taking so long. I haven't been able to put as much time into it as I'd like, and there are just a lot of little things to change. I am still working on it though. I should be done with it some time this week.

DJPlace

• my reaction to everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: August 06, 2019, 01:01:57 am »
this is a fun little game i always wanted to know what there talking about good luck with this.

TheDanaAddams

• View Profile
« Reply #142 on: August 06, 2019, 12:08:52 pm »
Sorry I'm taking so long. I haven't been able to put as much time into it as I'd like, and there are just a lot of little things to change. I am still working on it though. I should be done with it some time this week.
Great to hear!
No pressure, though; life always has to come first. I'm a very patient lass, but I don't think waiting a little longer will kill anyone!

Reld

• View Profile
« Reply #143 on: August 09, 2019, 02:31:51 am »
Here's the patch for the six-letter names, finally: Link
Apply over beta 16.

I don't think there should be any bugs, but you never know. Changing the way names were written caused the numbers for scores and times to be written with 8 pixel wide characters as well, so I had to do a bunch of reformatting of a bunch of different screens.

You may have noticed from the above screenshots that I changed the character names at the bottom of the VS screen too.

Man that was a pain! :laugh: I moved the portraits and selector sprites over and expanded the green background boxes to make room for 7 tile wide names instead of 6. Most of the text graphics in the game are 2bp and can only use 3 colors plus transparency, but these are stored with the character portraits so they're 4bp and can use 15 colors plus transparency. The original game didn't really take advantage of that. I changed it so that the name graphics use the same palette as the green background, which had three unused black color entries that I modified to be the main brownish font color plus two transition colors. Combined with the darker greens that were already in the palette that gave me a lot of shades for some decent antialiasing. Because the new graphics used more colors they didn't compress as well though. I rearranged the tiles to be as efficient as I could, but it was still roughly 2000 bytes bigger than the original so I ended up moving and repointing a ton of stuff to make room. I think the end result was worth it, but oh boy was it more work than it looks!

TheDanaAddams

• View Profile
« Reply #144 on: August 09, 2019, 03:28:52 pm »
I've done some testing and nothing looks broken, so...
EVERYBODY GIVE RELD A BIG ROUND OF APPLAUSE! WE'VE GOT A RELEASE VERSION!!

It looks incredible; you've done such an awesome job, and you should be proud as heck of this! You really made this into something special; thank you so much!

For the rest of you, here it is - Kirby's Super Star Stacker v1.0!
This applies to a clean ROM, and as a bonus, the checksum is fixed.

SuperStarFox

• View Profile
Re: Testers needed: Kirby\'s Super Star Stacker English Patch
« Reply #145 on: August 09, 2019, 11:20:55 pm »
HOORAY!!!   :woot!: :woot!: :woot!: :woot!: :woot!: :woot!: :woot!: :woot!: :woot!: :woot!: :woot!: :woot!: :woot!: :woot!: :woot!: :woot!: :woot!: :woot!: :woot!: :woot!: :woot!: :woot!: :woot!: :woot!: :woot!: :woot!: :woot!: :woot!: :woot!: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

P.S What English Patch Will You Work On Next?

August 09, 2019, 11:32:20 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
I Played It And You Totally Forgot Something!!!

I Was Playing The Challenge Mode And When I Quit The Game... I Saw Some Really Weird Text With An Image Of Kirby Singing Terribly On Stage! I Think You Forgot To Add The Game Over Text To That One!  :-\
« Last Edit: August 09, 2019, 11:32:20 pm by SuperStarFox »

svenge

• View Profile
« Reply #146 on: August 10, 2019, 07:23:20 am »
I found an exceedingly minor glitch, in which the number "0" in the tens place of a high score in Challenge Mode won't appear when moving the screen to "Modes".  The thing is that when you go down to the individual modes' tabs, the "0" reappears where it should be.  Interestingly enough, it didn't happen when the tens digit was a "1" (as I had achieved the high score of 115 before the later 400 score).

I've confirmed the issue in both Canoe (SNES Mini emulator) and BSNES, so it's not a glitch that's particular to a single emulator.  I've attached an image showing the "missing zero" below:

I Was Playing The Challenge Mode And When I Quit The Game... I Saw Some Really Weird Text With An Image Of Kirby Singing Terribly On Stage! I Think You Forgot To Add The Game Over Text To That One!  :-\

That actually is the game-over text as found in the original Japanese ROM for that mode when you score badly, and is supposed to represent how poorly Kirby was singing.  I'm pretty sure that leaving the original text was an intentional choice by TheDanaAddams and/or Reid.

Reld

• View Profile
« Reply #147 on: August 10, 2019, 08:11:59 am »
Nice find Svenge. It only seems to happen when there's a zero in the tens place in the top score specifically, so I probably never would have seen it. I believe I've fixed it, but I'd like to wait just a little bit to see if any other bugs crop up before releasing a bugfix patch. If you're impatient and know your way around a hex editor just change the byte at $0218B7 in the ROM from $05 to $02 and that seems to fix it.

SuperStarFox: Assuming you're talking about the text that looks like cartoon cursing (a bunch of shapes and punctuation) Svenge is right. That's supposed to be like that.

Edit: I meant to say this in whatever my next post was, but I got distracted with bug hunting. Big thanks to Dana for letting me help out with this, and generally being a pleasure to work with! It's been a lot of fun, and I feel like I learned some things.

As far as SuperStarFox's question about what's next I can't speak for Dana, but for myself I have another project (Shounen Ninja Sasuke) that stalled out due to a lack of a translator. Check my post history if you want to see where I was at with that. I basically just need to find someone to translate the script. I don't have anything else planned for the moment.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2019, 08:27:53 am by Reld »

Masaru

• i want to know diasm and c++
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: August 10, 2019, 10:40:53 am »
There's a bug in the ending where the "project kirakira staff" text repeats twice instead of showing the director's name in the ending

Reld

• View Profile
« Reply #149 on: August 10, 2019, 01:31:31 pm »
Thanks Masaru. That's an easy one too, thankfully. Looks like I accidentally pointed two pointers at the same address when I was moving things around.

Keep the bug reports coming! Unless there aren't any more bugs, of course.

TheDanaAddams

• View Profile
« Reply #150 on: August 10, 2019, 04:57:32 pm »
Aaaaand this is precisely why we don't label things 'final'! =P
I played through the story in Pro mode for my testing, which apparently doesn't show the credits, so I missed that. (Makes sense; you've already seen them if you unlocked Pro mode.)

That actually is the game-over text as found in the original Japanese ROM for that mode when you score badly, and is supposed to represent how poorly Kirby was singing.  I'm pretty sure that leaving the original text was an intentional choice by TheDanaAddams and/or Reid.
Exactly this. ^^

Super lucky you caught that weird score display glitch; very specific circumstances like that are precisely why testers are invaluable!

As far as SuperStarFox's question about what's next I can't speak for Dana, but for myself I have another project (Shounen Ninja Sasuke) that stalled out due to a lack of a translator. Check my post history if you want to see where I was at with that. I basically just need to find someone to translate the script. I don't have anything else planned for the moment.
I'd offer to help, but I don't nearly have enough confidence in my Japanese knowledge to translate something like that. Kirby was kind of an easier thing to attempt, since by their nature Kirby games are simple and approachable.

As for what's next for me, I'm not sure! I have about 8 million different projects up in the air that I'd like to be doing, but time and health and tools... and money... are always an issue.
I've been building a hand-wired ZX Spectrum from scratch, but that's stalled until I can afford a part for my ROM programmer; I've been working on custom covers for my collection of cart-based games so I can put them all in clamshell cases; I've got a number of original game projects in various stages; documentary YouTube content; display and accessibility structures that need building; an old, neglected Don't Starve mod that I really want to try and fix and get working again... and goodness knows what else!

erpster2

• View Profile
« Reply #151 on: August 12, 2019, 12:49:38 pm »
I found another bug in the 1.0 patch, TheDanaAddams.

it seems the tutorial (when viewing the "rules" of the game) seems to finish a little prematurely as seen in this picture

seems like this is out of sync

this did not happen with the beta 16 version where the tutorial worked perfectly

Reld

• View Profile
« Reply #152 on: August 12, 2019, 11:19:13 pm »
Here's a patch that fixes all of the bugs that have been mentioned so far: Link

For that last one it turns out I'd accidentally overwritten the instructions that tell the demo to move the blocks down faster as if the player was pressing down on the D-pad with the tail end of the VS screen name tile maps. Took me a while to figure out, but it was an easy fix once I did.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 02:44:10 am by Reld »

TheDanaAddams

• View Profile
« Reply #153 on: August 13, 2019, 02:22:48 am »
Here's a patch that fixes all of the bugs that have been mentioned so far: Link

I'm going to guess that you meant to upload a patch named 'sss_bugfix' but accidentally uploaded the older patch 'sss_buttons' instead?

Reld

• View Profile
« Reply #154 on: August 13, 2019, 02:45:34 am »
Ugh. :banghead: I uploaded the right one, but I copied the wrong link. It should be fixed now.

TheDanaAddams

• View Profile
« Reply #155 on: August 13, 2019, 03:09:37 am »
Hehehe, all good; it's an easy mistake to make!

New version submitted to the main site, but for the early-birds: Super Star Stacker 1.1.

Dzumeister

• Zaubermancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: August 13, 2019, 03:52:44 pm »
Hehehe, all good; it's an easy mistake to make!

New version submitted to the main site, but for the early-birds: Super Star Stacker 1.1.

Real big congrats on release! You all did so much work, and it shows in how professional everything looks. :)
free sluffy

Mattiac

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: August 14, 2019, 04:16:02 pm »
Thank you for this nice translation! You should include a Readme-file in the zip-file!