News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Is there any interest in a translation patch for Final Fantasy Adventure?  (Read 6983 times)

mariosmentor

• View Profile
When Collection of Mana came out, I was unbearably irked by how both FF Adventure and Secret of Mana were unchanged from their original release. Secret of Mana has a "Relocalized" patch, but FF Adventure has nothing. Honestly, it's bothering me so much, that instead of complaining about it, I think I'll just hack the game myself, and update its translation to be more in line with the mobile remake.

However, what if the reason no one's done this before is because there's no demand for it? If FF Adventure really is just fine on its own, then I guess I'm just wasting my time. But then again............

As you can see, I'm a lot more conflicted about this than I should be. Does the idea of relocalizing FF Adventure appeal to anyone here? If yes, I'll get started right away. If not, then I'll just leave it at that, and go back to watching YouTube.

Mugi

• Personal text
    • View Profile
    • Blacklabel-translations
im not really sure how many people agree with me, but if you ask me,
i think projects of such magnitude as translating or retranslating a rom that actually requires substantial amounts of work
should solely be driven by the creators personal desire to see it thorugh, as such, if you have doubts about it
even before starting the project, atleast give it a good thought before jumping into it, instead of spending X amount of time
only ending up dropping it realizing you werent actually even interested of doing it.

i've had this happen to me when i wake up one monday and decide that i want to do X,
and after spending a month on it i just threw it in the "unfinished junk" folder and it's been there since late 90's
simply because i just dont care lol.
In PSP we trust.

mariosmentor

• View Profile
im not really sure how many people agree with me, but if you ask me,
i think projects of such magnitude as translating or retranslating a rom that actually requires substantial amounts of work
should solely be driven by the creators personal desire to see it thorugh, as such, if you have doubts about it
even before starting the project, atleast give it a good thought before jumping into it, instead of spending X amount of time
only ending up dropping it realizing you werent actually even interested of doing it.

i've had this happen to me when i wake up one monday and decide that i want to do X,
and after spending a month on it i just threw it in the "unfinished junk" folder and it's been there since late 90's
simply because i just dont care lol.

Well, I'm a total sucker for RPGs, so the fact that there's going to be a lot of text to work with isn't what's causing my self-doubts. I agree that personal desire is a big factor in completing huge projects (after all, I did complete two RPG Maker projects, levelled Ultima up to its max damage output TWICE in Final Fantasy II, and completely filled the Pokédex in every Pokémon game made prior to Ruby and Sapphire), but what I'm wanting is confirmation that someone wants to see FF Adventure relocalized, since a commitment of that magnitude, in my opinion, should only exist if there's more than just me who benefits from the results.

Another source of apprehension, I'll admit, comes from the fact that I don't really have any experience with hacking. :-[ Sure, there's plenty of tutorials and documentation on how to get started, but I'm still a little nervous, like how your first time on a roller coaster leaves you feeling anxious right as the ride starts.

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
How bad is FF Adventure's script?
I always thought all that FF Adventure needed was just a title screen hack that says "Sword of Mana" instead of "Final Fantasy Adventure" and call it a day :P

Vanya

• View Profile
If you do decide to do it, I'd definitely be all for it.

Hell. The first thing I did when I heard the collection was coming was to check the database for FFA hacks.
Didn't find much, so I've already made a few notes for at least a few title screen hacks and maybe a couple more to remove all the final fantasy related content and/or bring it more in line with Sword of Mana.

So a full on retranslation sounds great to me.

mariosmentor

• View Profile
Well, if Vanya approves, then what am I waiting for? ;D

I plan on basing my retranslation off the mobile remake, Adventures of Mana, which retained the Final Fantasy references, unlike Sword of Mana. It's easy to see why not everyone would like that decision, however, so I'll make 2 separate patches, one that leaves the references intact, changing the title to "Adventures of Mana," and the other patch removing those pesky shoutouts and changing the name to "Sword of Mana." Maybe as a bonus, I could try basing the "Sword" patch's text off the actual "Sword of Mana," but that game really shook up the plot, from what I've heard, so no promises yet.

EDIT: I'm already starting to get a hang of table files, and text editing. Here's a preview for the opening crawl:
https://imgur.com/a/AtFvORI

(I can't figure out how to add the photo within a post......:()

EDIT #2: All done for the prologue! I seem to be having trouble finding the rest of the text, though. Maybe it's compressed, or something? I don't plan on letting that stop me, though. :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: June 18, 2019, 07:16:04 pm by mariosmentor »

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
If my memory is correct, FFA was a relatively small game, so like it wouldn't be too much to play with Google translation to see if there is anything actually worth re-translating first.

But then I know there's some people here who will get angry at even a single name change (and I already know there is that), and feel like "crucify Ted Woolsey to hell!" :P (I'm just guessing he probably worked on this game like everything else from the time period.)
... if I was feeling it, I'd almost retranslate something random like Super Mario Bros. 3 for no reason because surely there's SOMETHING trivial in there! :P (yes, as in a joke)
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

kkaden

• View Profile
This sounds like a pretty cool projects to start, I would definitely be interested in seeing the finished product.

As far as the Final Fantasy content goes, in the Wikipedia entry (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Final_Fantasy_Adventure) the first sentence names the Japanese release as connected to the FF series:
Seiken Densetsu: Final Fantasy Gaiden (聖剣伝説 〜ファイナルファンタジー外伝〜, lit. The Legend of the Sacred Sword: Final Fantasy Gaiden)

tc

• Lum Fan
    • View Profile
    • Eon Blog
Well, I'm a total sucker for RPGs, so the fact that there's going to be a lot of text to work with isn't what's causing my self-doubts. I agree that personal desire is a big factor in completing huge projects (after all, I did complete two RPG Maker projects, levelled Ultima up to its max damage output TWICE in Final Fantasy II, and completely filled the Pokédex in every Pokémon game made prior to Ruby and Sapphire), but what I'm wanting is confirmation that someone wants to see FF Adventure relocalized, since a commitment of that magnitude, in my opinion, should only exist if there's more than just me who benefits from the results.

Another source of apprehension, I'll admit, comes from the fact that I don't really have any experience with hacking. :-[ Sure, there's plenty of tutorials and documentation on how to get started, but I'm still a little nervous, like how your first time on a roller coaster leaves you feeling anxious right as the ride starts.

Don't let the immature fans stop you. 4Kids Pokémon is all many of us original fans have ever known.
The games more than deserve a look over to verify how faithful the details like monster/item/trainer names actually are.

PowerPanda

• View Profile
How bad is FF Adventure's script?
I always thought all that FF Adventure needed was just a title screen hack that says "Sword of Mana" instead of "Final Fantasy Adventure" and call it a day :P

Working on it presently. I'm thinking of releasing 3 possible title screens:
Sword of Mana
Adventures of Mana (This one may give me trouble as there's not enough space without shrinking text)
Secret of Mana Adventure

Progress so far is that I've located the tiles within the rom, figured out the spacing, and have converted the "Secret of Mana" logo into 4-color grayscale.

Masaru

• i want to know diasm and c++
    • View Profile
Working on it presently. I'm thinking of releasing 3 possible title screens:
Sword of Mana
Adventures of Mana (This one may give me trouble as there's not enough space without shrinking text)
Secret of Mana Adventure

Progress so far is that I've located the tiles within the rom, figured out the spacing, and have converted the "Secret of Mana" logo into 4-color grayscale.

What about the original "seiken densetsu" title screen?

mariosmentor

• View Profile

Couldn't you arrange it to where "of Mana" is below "Adventures," rather than to the side? That's what I was planning on doing.

PowerPanda

• View Profile
Couldn't you arrange it to where "of Mana" is below "Adventures," rather than to the side? That's what I was planning on doing.

Yeah, that just requires finding the code for tile arrangement and changing it, and I'm lazy.  :laugh:

If you just want me to create the graphics, and you work at the actual coding, we could collaborate.

mariosmentor

• View Profile
Yeah, that just requires finding the code for tile arrangement and changing it, and I'm lazy.  :laugh:

If you just want me to create the graphics, and you work at the actual coding, we could collaborate.

Well, that wouldn't be a bad idea at all, although I plan on saving the title screen for last.

Vanya

• View Profile
In my notes I thought of doing 3 titles, too.
Seiken Densetsu
Sword of Mana
Adventure of Mana (Sans the 's' to distinguish it from the remake.)

And each of these would get a variant based on keeping the Final Fantasy content.
(BOLD is large logo, normal is subtitle text)

Seiken Densetsu:
Final Fantasy Gaiden

Sword of Mana:
A Final Fantasy Adventure

Final Fantasy:
Adventure of Mana

And I guess including a few variants for the European version should also be considered.

Seiken Densetsu:
A Mystic Quest

Mystic Quest:
The Sword of Mana

Mystic Quest:
A Final Fantasy Adventure

Mystic Quest:
Adventure of Mana

Yeah. I tend to go overboard when coming up with ideas.

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
If I were to do the title screen hack, I would straight for the "Sword of Mana" title, no doubt.
Either that or Adventure of Mana, but that sounds somewhat cheesy to say the least.

Sword of Mana feels like the proper title for me due to two reasons:

1) The remake uses Sword of Mana for its official title.
2) It keeps the title in-line with the rest of the (now official) sequels. (Secret/Trials of Mana).

If someone does make a mockup or hacks the title screen, please post pictures of it, I would love to see how they come up :)

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
I like the idea of Sword of Mana with the A Final Fantasy Adventure subtitle.

PowerPanda

• View Profile
Here are a few mock-ups that I did. Each of them EASILY fits within the tile count of the original. (65 tiles for "Final Fantasy", 22 tiles for "Adventure")

What's funny to note is that there's an error on the original title screen. There are 1 or 2 pixels at the top of each "A" in Final Fantasy, but only one of the A's has them. All this time, and nobody noticed.  :laugh:

If I were to do the title screen hack, I would straight for the "Sword of Mana" title, no doubt.
Either that or Adventure of Mana, but that sounds somewhat cheesy to say the least.

Sword of Mana feels like the proper title for me due to two reasons:

1) The remake uses Sword of Mana for its official title.
2) It keeps the title in-line with the rest of the (now official) sequels. (Secret/Trials of Mana).

I think "Sword of Mana" is the right title because it's the closest in meaning to "Seiken". I include "Adventure(s) of Mana" because that's the title of the 3D remake. The "Sword of Mana" remake changes quite a few things about the game.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2019, 11:22:16 am by PowerPanda »

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
@PowerPanda those mockups look great :D
Would I suggest a mockup where perhaps the "Sword of Mana" title is bigger?
Like maybe have "Sword" in the upper row (and a little bigger perhaps?), and "of Mana" in the lower one, similar to the "Adventures of Mana" title mockup you made, but with Sword of Mana instead. Just so that the title screen doesn't have that much empty space in between the title and the options.

mariosmentor

• View Profile
Well, after some deliberation (and further research), I've decided that there WON'T be a patch removing the FF references. Seiken Densetsu as a series may have become its own beast nowadays, but there was a time when it was just an FF spinoff. Ignoring that would be disrespectful to this game's legacy. I've also decided that "Sword of Mana" truly is the better name, as it's a closer translation to "Seiken Densetsu."

I'm still working on that compression (although there's only so much I can do while away from a computer) but I'll let you know once I figure it out.

Also, nice job with those mockups, PowerPanda! Have a cookie! :cookie: