News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Help understanding GBA Phantasy Star II  (Read 395 times)

EvilJagaGenius

• View Profile
    • The Jaga's Nest
Help understanding GBA Phantasy Star II
« on: July 22, 2019, 07:41:25 pm »
I decided I would poke around with the GBA Phantasy Star collection as I've only played the first so far and have been wanting to get to II for the longest time.  I didn't want to grind so much, though, so I figured I would make myself an easy-mode patch like I made for the first - find the monster data, edit the XP and cash reward values.  I've managed to find the monster data in the ROM for PSII, but only for the Fire Ant.  I don't know how to read/understand the data for the other monsters in the bestiary.

For reference, I found the Fire Ant's data around address 0x3d7bd0.  (It gives 3 XP and 5 meseta, that's what I used as a guide)  In RAM, whenever a monster gets loaded, their data gets stored around address 0x02003d70.  I'm using the USA version of the ROM.  Also, I can't see the monster names in the ROM at the moment, I don't know how they're encoded in there.

If somebody more knowledgeable about GBA hacking and/or Phantasy Star II would like to leave a few tips, it'd be a wonderful help!

-Jaga