News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Square-Enix is doubling down on re-releases.  (Read 2547 times)

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
Re: Square-Enix is doubling down on re-releases.
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2019, 03:06:00 pm »
It was a tie-in with FF15. No idea how it could have been worse though.

Badseed

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2019, 09:01:36 am »
King’s Knight: Wrath of the Dark Dragon was bad enough to be shut down by square and delisted from Google play in less than a year.
"Now is the happening of Plan B!! Time for max-strength spray! Your brains will be washed with 99.9% effectiveness!"

lexluthermiester

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2019, 06:03:36 pm »
King’s Knight: Wrath of the Dark Dragon was bad enough to be shut down by square and delisted from Google play in less than a year.
It was utter crap and nothing like the NES original. It was basically run-&-gun shootem-up on rails, poorly done..

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2019, 10:13:51 am »
What about remakes/re-releases of
  • Thexder
  • Tobal N°1
  • 3D Worldrunner
  • King's Knight
  • Chocobo Racing

Guess we're all waiting for those :D

Thexder is not a Square-Enix game. Square only originally published the game in Japan, I think it is Game Arts which made the game. They're still around, still ruining the Lunar franchise when they can, aren't they? :P
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2019, 10:21:50 am »
My understanding is that they ported the existing game to Famicom, and this was their very first NES/FC game (even though the game itself wasn't theirs). I might be wrong though. If it doesn't count then I guess King's Knight was their first ? Or was it one of the many shitty FDS games they co-developed ?

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2019, 08:11:10 pm »
Thexder was the first Famicom game they published, in 1985. So early it uses a real early Square "logo" that was dropped soon after (don't know if even the Famicom version of King's Knight, their second game, released in 1986, used it).
Looks like just "SQUARE" written in plain white, I don't know, Helvetica, or something, font. :D
(Door Door was also the first Famicom game Enix published in that same year)

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2019, 05:47:24 am »
(don't know if even the Famicom version of King's Knight, their second game, released in 1986, used it).
It seems to use the good old regular "Square" logo.
That being said I wonder if Square only published Thexder or if they ported it and published it. It would seem weird that they'd just publish a game from the start if they're not even an established company yet. The porter in NESCartDB is claimed to be "BitsLaboratoy" but I wonder if that's not another word from Square, considering that company would supposedly also have developped King's Knight and Hanjuku Hero, which are unaniously conisdered games by Square.

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2019, 09:50:19 am »
There's a Thexder refresh on PSP, for what it's worth. "Thexder Neo."

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2019, 03:31:08 pm »
It seems to use the good old regular "Square" logo.
That being said I wonder if Square only published Thexder or if they ported it and published it. It would seem weird that they'd just publish a game from the start if they're not even an established company yet. The porter in NESCartDB is claimed to be "BitsLaboratoy" but I wonder if that's not another word from Square, considering that company would supposedly also have developped King's Knight and Hanjuku Hero, which are unaniously conisdered games by Square.
Wasn't Bits Laboratory the same company that made the infamous NES port of Ghostbusters?

#

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2019, 07:49:08 pm »
They might not have owned Thexder then, but they might own the rights now as they did publish the remake Thexder NEO. The remake was developed by Zereo (their first game), a small Japanese developer that seems unrelated to Game Arts.

Cristal

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2019, 05:37:21 pm »
One thing I'm hoping for is a "Romancing SaGa Collection". Japan will be getting a remake of the third game later this year, while the western version is still TBA. It'd be pretty nice to get a collection of the original SFC trilogy along with that (similar to what they did with Mana).

That would be a good opportunity to finally introduce those titles to western territories properly. They're among Square's greatest classics in Japan, so it'd certainly be worth it.

lexluthermiester

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2019, 01:28:20 am »
One thing I'm hoping for is a "Romancing SaGa Collection". Japan will be getting a remake of the third game later this year, while the western version is still TBA. It'd be pretty nice to get a collection of the original SFC trilogy along with that (similar to what they did with Mana).

That would be a good opportunity to finally introduce those titles to western territories properly. They're among Square's greatest classics in Japan, so it'd certainly be worth it.
This, Yes!  :thumbsup:

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2019, 11:38:19 am »

This depends on whether or not Square's tactic with picking mobile versions first to use as a base is alive and well.  And with Chrono Trigger's recent thing, it may be.  Otherwise they'd be dealing with RS2 again (which is okay, the translation job wasn't stellar but it was in english).

Man, I would really love to rip those out and play them as SNES games though.