News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Ocarina of Time Redux?  (Read 762 times)

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
Ocarina of Time Redux?
« on: June 12, 2019, 02:01:52 pm »
Good day, Romhacking community.

I'm nearing the release of two projects I've been working recently, so I've been wanting to dive into other games that I feel need an improvement treatment. One of which is Ocarina of Time on the Nintendo 64.

So what is it that I want to change about this game?
Well particularly, OoT on the N64 has many nuisances that take away from it. Text speed, censorship in recent releases, pausing for equipping boots, etc., but given how I have never touched anything N64 before, I know I'm in for some trouble.

However, OoT is one of the most hacked games of all time, and the Randomizer community is one which has managed to do heavy hacking to it, and I recently stumbled upon the latest version of the Ocarina of Time Randomizer v4.0, which does a lot of ASM hacking to accomplish one goal, which is to provide a randomized experience, for both casual and expert/speedrun gamers alike.

Going through the many notes and files the Randomizer has, I noticed that it applies a lot of hacks that I wanted to do for Ocarina of Time.
Some examples include using the v1.0 ROM as the base; which on its own restores almost all uncensored content to the game by default (red blood, Fire Temple chants, Crescent Moon symbol), fast text speed, Bunny Hood speeds up Young Link as in Majora's Mask, Hover and Iron boots mapped to the D-Pad, Ocarina mapped to D-Pad as well, etc.

So I thought, why not modify the source code to simply remove the Randomizing code of it and have all those perks available for people that want a polished Ocarina of Time experience?

This is where I have trouble with sadly, as Python and MIPS assembly are way out of my scope.
So with that, I wanted to come here and ask for help if someone knows Python well enough to help make this a reality.

Here's the link to the latest version of the Ocarina of Time Randomizer v4.0:
https://github.com/TestRunnerSRL/OoT-Randomizer

What do I want to change from the randomizer to make OoT Redux?
  • Remove all random/randomizing aspects of the code
  • Restore all of the Story cutscenes, since the Randomizer removes almost all of them for speedrun sake
  • Restore any other cutscene, for as minimal it might be. The main goal here is to have the full OoT experience, with nothing dropped in terms of storytelling, side quests, etc.
  • Move the Ocarina to D-Pad Up (instead of Down as it is right now in the Randomizer) to better resemble the button mapping of Wind Waker HD
  • Something else I might have overlooked... ?

I have fiddled with it for a while, and I managed to restore some of the cutscenes back into the game, by commenting out some code in the "patches.py" file, which apparently do some sort of flag check in the SRAM (or something of the like). However, not all cutscenes were restored, as I believe some of the cutscene removal is handled ASM-side, inside the /asm/ folder.

If anyone is willing to help out with this, do take into consideration that I would NOT take credit at all from the work being done.
Most credit would go to the Rando devs, and to whoever jumps in to help shift the code around to make this hack I have in mind a reality.

Thanks in advance to all of those that read this, and to whoever might be willing to help out!
« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 02:21:06 pm by ShadowOne333 »

Shade Aurion

• Shadow Keeper
    • View Profile
    • DudeGoBack
Re: Ocarina of Time Redux?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2019, 03:06:30 pm »
Sounds ambitious to say the least. I'd check out The Cutting Room Floor, betas, Ura Zelda and cross-reference with the 2DS and Gamecube differences if you're looking to make a solid list of noteworthy changes to shoot for.

I wonder if you'll ever REDUX the CD-i Zelda games lmfao Seriously though, knowing it's being done by you makes me sure this is a worthwhile project to keep ones eye on.

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2019, 03:20:17 pm »
Sounds ambitious to say the least. I'd check out The Cutting Room Floor, betas, Ura Zelda and cross-reference with the 2DS and Gamecube differences if you're looking to make a solid list of noteworthy changes to shoot for.

That's exactly why I want to go for the Randomizer as the base.
It already addresses a lot of the things that I envisioned an OoT Redux to be.
Many of the QoL changes from the 3DS version have been implemented in some way into the Rando hacks, alongside many other QoL changes which get rid of the many nuisances the original OoT had, and also uses v1.0 as the base ROM, which makes it even better in terms of uncensored material.

Harlock99

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2019, 04:14:45 pm »
There is a OOT "Redux" hack made by Aeronai (but there could be more improvements made, like for the boots etc.) you could possibly contact him to know how he implemented his modofications, he worked on a 1.2 OOT rom extracted from the Gamecube release : http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=5161.0
Just a french guy passing trough.

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2019, 05:45:18 pm »
There is a OOT "Redux" hack made by Aeronai (but there could be more improvements made, like for the boots etc.) you could possibly contact him to know how he implemented his modofications, he worked on a 1.2 OOT rom extracted from the Gamecube release : http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=5161.0
Oh did know about Aroenai's hacks.
But the thing is, he uses Flips for patching, and once the ROM is patched, a lot of the data is shifted around in the ROM, making it impossible to implement other types of hacks into it due to the changes in data.
I believe I tried this when I wanted to combine both his and gamemasterplc's widescreen hacks, and had that issue.

While most of the stuff he does are bugfixes, I am seeking more of a QoL kind of changes for OoT, which would help greatly to it.
The Majora's Mask changes he lists are neat tho, might try them out since I have never tried any MM hack at all.

DannyPlaysSomeGames

• Wait, this isn't Burger King
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2019, 08:15:48 pm »
Well, this kind of already exists, actually

Basically, they made a seperate patcher that has all of the QoL choices from the Randomizer as its own seperate thing. It's called Better OoT, if you're curious about it

Here's a link: https://github.com/fig02/Better-OoT/releases

It'd still be pretty great to have a more polished version of OoT on N64 though, as it's own seperate project. I think we can start by deleting the archery games using this patch as a base, if they allow us, of course. Still, I'm more of an NES rom hacker guy, so this is most certainly not my field.
Hey there

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2019, 10:27:02 pm »
Well, this kind of already exists, actually

Basically, they made a seperate patcher that has all of the QoL choices from the Randomizer as its own seperate thing. It's called Better OoT, if you're curious about it

Here's a link: https://github.com/fig02/Better-OoT/releases

It'd still be pretty great to have a more polished version of OoT on N64 though, as it's own seperate project. I think we can start by deleting the archery games using this patch as a base, if they allow us, of course. Still, I'm more of an NES rom hacker guy, so this is most certainly not my field.
Ah, glad you brought up BetterOoT.
That was actually how I found out about the Randomizer hacks, because someone mentioned it I believe in Discord, and then I started going through the changelog of BetterOoT.

BetterOoT does have some stuff I want to implement into OoT Redux...
But it's lacking in a LOT of things.
Also, BetterOoT also removes the main story cutscenes, and any option to toggle the on/off, because according to the author the "main goal of the tool is for speedrunning", casual players are out of luck :P
Finally, BetterOoT was based on Randomizer 3.0, which is still missing a lot of bugfixes and other important ASM hacks, like Ocarina in DPad and others.

So, as you see, working on BetterOoT would be pretty much the same thing as with Randomizer 4.0, except that if the work is done with BetterOoT as the base, a lot of the hacks from Randomizer 4.0 would have to be ported into BetterOoT, so we might as well just work with Rando 4.0 as the base from the get-go.

SCO

• View Profile

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2019, 10:04:37 am »
Are you aware of http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=2g5pms1o3rsofsrci9gb7o2th7&topic=5161.0
Yes, actually the same link was posted in the very 2nd post of this thread :P
I already responded as to why I want to use Randomizer 4.0 as base and not this one on a reply to the 2nd post as well.

Shade Aurion

• Shadow Keeper
    • View Profile
    • DudeGoBack
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2019, 11:49:46 am »
Jeez, people really seem to want to point out other improvement projects. You guys realize that ShadowOne333 is responsible (with the help of others of course) for the best version of A Link to the Past which built on DX with compatibility for MSU music tracks right? Or that he is about to release the biggest and by far best version of Adventure of Link with the largest list of optional patches i've personally ever seen right? Maybe, just maybe, he'll do something great and different with Ocarina of Time. At the very least he'll learn to code a different kind of platform to a degree. Give suggestions but don't undermine someone's project ambitions after a single post. Give him a chance to play around with it and pleasantly surprise everyone.

Harlock99

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2019, 05:15:38 am »
Jeez, people really seem to want to point out other improvement projects. You guys realize that ShadowOne333 is responsible (with the help of others of course) for the best version of A Link to the Past which built on DX with compatibility for MSU music tracks right? Or that he is about to release the biggest and by far best version of Adventure of Link with the largest list of optional patches i've personally ever seen right? Maybe, just maybe, he'll do something great and different with Ocarina of Time. At the very least he'll learn to code a different kind of platform to a degree. Give suggestions but don't undermine someone's project ambitions after a single post. Give him a chance to play around with it and pleasantly surprise everyone.

Yes you're right, I also love ShadowOne hacks personally and I have no doubt that this project will be as great as the previous ones, I was just trying to see if he could use another hack as the base but as he explained it's not possible because of the Aeronai hack being patched with FLIPS among other things... That said I probably shouldn't have proposed it since the author didn't asked for it in the first place.

So here are the QoL improvements I would like to see in this project:

-A slightly faster travel speed for Link ( x1.25 maybe?) to avoid rolling all the time, especially in the Hyrule Field when you don't have Epona yet. Therefore, the speed of Dampé during the race in the grave will also have to be adapted to keep the original difficulty.

-Reduce the time it takes King Zora to move! I know it's done on purpose for the comic effect but he literally takes 32 seconds to move 30 centimeters! That said, I don't know if it's easily modifiable, otherwise it's not that important.

-An optional difficulty patch where enemy damage is doubled like in the OOT3D Master Quest, and why not a little harder Bosses, I don't know if their speed could be increased for example (I find Ganon really slow) but it would already be nice to increase their resistance.

-Maybe improve the reward for collecting the 100 Gold Skultullas because some people found that 200 rupees were a little disappointing since we don't really need them... So we would have to find another type of reward but I don't know what it could be.

This is what I have in mind for the moment (that has not yet been mentioned), good luck ShadowOne333 with this project! ;)
« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 07:10:37 am by Harlock99 »
Just a french guy passing trough.

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2019, 10:16:06 am »
Thank you @Shade Aurion and @Harlock99 for the kind words :D
I didn't even know I had fans lol
It's really appreciated!

As for your suggestions, Harlock, I think Rando 4.0 addresses most of these in one way or another.

1) The running speed is something I wouldn't like to mess with, since it could bring up some unwanted behaviour, and also make OoT odd to people who are fond of the original and it's movement mechanics (more so for pros and speedrunners). Still, the Bunny Hood mask with the added speed like in MM would greatly alleviate this issue.

2) The King Zora speed is also one ASM hack that the guys from Rando have already tackled. There's an option or a hack that makes him move faster in Rando. That's another reason to use Rando as the base (including many other things).

3) and 4) I'm not really sure.
I think you can make a custom Master Quest rom with Rando that makes the damage output double of the original, so yet another good reason to use Rando as base.
Although for 4) I can't tell. It's a good suggestion for sure, I'll see what can be done about that one.