News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Final Fantasy VI: Retranslated  (Read 18775 times)

Chronosplit

• View Profile
I just ran into this, I'll probably give it a look soon after I'm done with my own hacking.  Oh, since the smaller parts of Chrono Trigger got brought up...

Honestly I really do think the Chrono Trigger script needs another official redo.  There are a lot of things that are far worse woolseyisms in the DS script, bordering on complete character rewriting when it comes to Magus.  There's also a small trend of stating one line twice but with different wording.  The SNES script is actually closer in many ways (don't get me wrong, there are big missteps and I don't blame anyone for liking one or the other), but at the same time the DS script does some things better like Magus's name in 600AD.  And to be completely honest, nothing we have is 100% reliable (but it is enough that I can definitely point out some major issues with both scripts, and fix them on a minor level).

Here's hoping 'Mato gives CT a look.  Sorry about the off-topic ranting, I didn't really mean to derail.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 04:32:24 pm by Chronosplit »

fedorajoe

• View Profile
All I want is the SNES version, ideally something compatible with Rodimus' TWUE and the GBA script straight up. It's what Square-Enix is going by these days and like Chrono Trigger DS/PC it really should be all we need going forward.

I'm not here to comment on anyone's preferences, as we are all entitled to our own. I just want to point out that trying to match the most recent translation is a never-ending game.

So long as these titles are produced in non-English settings, there will be variation in the naming conventions used during translation for the English market. It's not nearly as random and ever-changing as it used to be, because companies are making an effort now to keep some consistency.

But if there's a change in leadership at one of these companies, or a long stretch of time between translated titles during which staffing or attitudes or preferences may change, or any number of things, the ground will shift again. Maybe not for all translated elements in a game or series, but at least one or two or three are going to creep in there. And so you're back to playing that catch-up game you can never win.

Personally, this is why some of us old farts, especially ones who dabble with game modification but are not part of the scene (like me), don't bother.

If I ever do another hack of an NES Dragon Quest game (which I'd like to), I will use the original Enix of America naming conventions. Partly it's my nostalgia talking, but it's also the fact that those naming conventions can never, ever change. That book is shut. So the names will always be the same, even after the spells and monsters go through their next 70 rounds of renaming in newer titles.

I like reading these boards because of the enthusiasm for the projects. But like any community, it can be a little echo-chambery. A lot of people who play the hacks available through this site don't care about these questions at all, or prefer the old to the new, etc. You can't please them all. So I hope everyone just makes the project that they would want to play for themselves.

Again, this is not a rebuttal. Just couldn't resist dropping a completely unsolicited Actually on you this morning.

vivify93

• Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
Normally I'd agree, but in the case of FF and DQ, Square Enix have Series Bibles that the localization team can cross-reference. Some names have updated since their creation, true, but it's usually pretty much far and few in between. Ogrenix is one of the inconsistencies in there that I can think of.
All my life I've tried to fight what history has given me.

hairy_hen

• View Profile
After briefly glimpsing at your script, and cross-referencing with Mato's stream, I gotta say.........I can't wait! You showed a type of attention to detail no fan translation has exhibited before! I'd dare say that in terms of story, your patch just might be the definitive means of playing the SNES version! Keep up the good work!

Thank you, that's very nice of you to say.  It's doubtful this version will satisfy everyone, but I certainly hope that it can provide an enjoyable experience for anyone who tries it.  Initially I only intended to make a few corrections to the dialog, but when it became clear that wasn't enough, I had to conclude this was only worth doing if I addressed as many of the story details as I could.  Ultimately it ended up better because of it.

The new version has been submitted, but it's been stuck in limbo for the past couple days because there are so many other projects in the queue as well.  Who knows how long it'll be before it gets looked at...

Vanya

• View Profile
I dare say that no version of any re-translation could satisfy everyone.
Ultimately, all you need worry about is just making it the way you want to with as much consideration for the end users as you feel is appropriate.

Special

• View Profile
The new version has been submitted, but it's been stuck in limbo for the past couple days because there are so many other projects in the queue as well.  Who knows how long it'll be before it gets looked at...

Maybe just upload it to mediafire or mega or similar in the meantime, queues on this site can be ridiculous sometimes, some users get a "free" pass while others have to wait in limbo for weeks.

hairy_hen

• View Profile
Since I have no idea when (or even if) my project will make it through the queue, I'll post version 1.0 here so interested people can start playing it right away if they wish.

Version 1.0 download: https://www.mediafire.com/file/56bn61wjqbm050w/FF6_Retranslated_v1.0.zip/file

The file is freshly assembled and does not derive from Woolsey Uncensored any longer; but some of its design sensibilities, including the spacing of the main font, are still similar.  There aren't any squish tiles to be found here aside from svenge's Gil fix, so the labeling of items and enemies occasionally differs, but this should all feel familiar to anyone who tried the previous incarnations.  Save files should be compatible between versions as far as I know.

Truth be told, I'm kind of burned out, so I think I need to take a break and clear my head from this stuff.  But I really appreciate the support and encouragement I've received, and I hope that people will enjoy playing this!

tc

• Lum Fan
    • View Profile
    • Eon Blog
I dare say that no version of any re-translation could satisfy everyone.
Ultimately, all you need worry about is just making it the way you want to with as much consideration for the end users as you feel is appropriate.

If you're going to translate from scratch, translate from scratch. Give us a perspective not clouded by past inaccuracies or silly yet famous lines that have persisted.

Dzumeister

• Zaubermancer
    • View Profile
Congrats on release, hairy_hen!

I noticed that you've left esper capitalized. There was a debate over at the TWUE thread about whether or not it should be, since human and other species generally aren't capitalized. Will you be leaving it as it is? They were also debating on whether or not gil should be capitalized as well, since it is a currency, dollars or quarters don't need to be capitalized.

I'll let you know if I find any typos/errors/bugs!  :thumbsup:
free sluffy

svenge

• View Profile
I went through the entire script and have some suggestions for improved formatting.  As to not clog up the thread, I've uploaded them into a Pastebin link.

Dzumeister

• Zaubermancer
    • View Profile
I went through the entire script and have some suggestions for improved formatting.  As to not clog up the thread, I've uploaded them into a Pastebin link.

super thorough!
free sluffy

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile

Going through this to help TWUE as well. Thanks.

Dzumeister

• Zaubermancer
    • View Profile
Isn't it weird that the translation is taking so long to be submitted? There's been quite a few releases that have breezed through the queue.
free sluffy

Special

• View Profile
Yeah it's pretty obvious it's getting skipped over time and time again if you watch the queues, does hairy_hen not get any feedback as to why? Sounds like he has no clue what's going on, thankfully mediafire and other 3rd party hosts exist.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
If the poster wants to they can use the Contact Staff link to ask for details but it's not unusual for updates to take time to post.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Dzumeister

• Zaubermancer
    • View Profile
Yeah it's pretty obvious it's getting skipped over time and time again if you watch the queues, does hairy_hen not get any feedback as to why? Sounds like he has no clue what's going on, thankfully mediafire and other 3rd party hosts exist.

It looks like Nightcrawler just submitted a Final Fantasy 6 Legends of Localization translation to the database. What's that about?

whaaaaat is going on  :o
free sluffy

hairy_hen

• View Profile
Since my project doesn't quite fit neatly into the established categories, I'm told there was some concern about whether it ought to be submitted into Translations or Hacks (and also some behind the scenes stuff resulted in it getting delayed as well).  But it's getting sorted out and will likely be appearing in the database soon.

Dzumeister

• Zaubermancer
    • View Profile

Will svenge's edits make it into a 1.01 patch, or will you be taking a break after RHDN adds 1.0 to the database?
free sluffy

hairy_hen

• View Profile
I made an update which incorporates many of svenge’s formatting notes, which should hopefully be appearing in the submitted version.  Some things in the list were deliberate writing choices, but everything else was fixed as suggested.  Still don’t know how “Teath Tarot” got in there, since I distinctly remember typing it correctly  :huh:  but it’s fixed now.

Special

• View Profile
Grats finally on the "official" official release, some small typo(s) on the project page though... :laugh: