News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Final Fantasy VI: Retranslated  (Read 27898 times)

Dzumeister

• Zaubermancer
    • View Profile
Well, there you have the opposite problem. Frog's speech patterns were removed, but it made him less memorable of a character and his lines were now a bit boring, likely why Woolsey changed him in the first place.

Personally, I think the memorable thing about Frog is that he's a frog. His character of being a noble knight is a good bonus, so the olde English was never a selling point for me.

Same with Cyan: his whole arc of going after Kefka for the fall of Doma and the Phantom Train are easily memorable for me, as well as in World of Ruin when he's writing to Lola. There are character moments of Cyan that make him beloved, but they aren't necessarily tied to how he talks.

That is pretty wooden, yeah. I think I'd personally alter the last line to something cheeky like, "Come on, take a look at my assets..."

I think this is a great idea, since it's not overtly sexy to the point of feeling out of place with the rest of the game tonally, but still in good humor.
free sluffy

vivify93

• Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
But damn, how many FFVI translation projects have there been? There's Woolsey's, Slattery's, RPGONE's, Rodimus's, Dr. Meat's, and now finally this one.
There's also Stand Guard and there was another project on Slick Productions by Darkmage. But yeah, these all in conjunction are one of the major reasons I decided that I didn't want to make a Project III. FFVI has more than enough love. (Consequently, none of these hacks have met my personal desires for an FFVI script hack--which would be to leave menu strings within the predefined constraints, fix nearly all bugs, and add some enhancements. It's why I stuck with the GBA version...)
All my life I've tried to fight what history has given me.

BlazeHeatnix

• View Profile
I have to say, I like how the Three Dream Brothers are now Phobetor, Morpheus and Phantasos. That's a surprisingly creative way to tackle them.

TheGershon

• View Profile
Do you mind uploading 1.0 here while you figure out the submission situation? I'm dying to play this

hairy_hen

• View Profile
I've made a new patch, which I'm calling v0.99b.  It can be found here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/thpj3wvcykem8ba/FF6_hh_script_v0.99b.zip/file

This incorporates all the script improvements I made earlier, as well as changing 'cleavage' to 'assets'.  That seemed to be a popular choice.

The reason it isn't called v1.0 is because I've been giving more consideration to the idea of making this a separate project and not an addendum.  Apparently I hadn't read the submission guidelines closely enough before, or I'd have known it couldn't be based directly on the unmodified game; but the more I thought about it, the less I liked the extra complication that involves.

Another reason why that might be better is that I'd wanted to incorporate additional bug fixes beyond those found in Woolsey Uncensored, most notably the Vanish/Doom fix; but every time I tried to do this, it ended up creating visual glitches in the text box.  The errors were small, but noticeable and repeatable, so clearly there is some sort of conflict happening.  But going back to the original game and starting over is less likely to result in errors than working from a file that has already been extensively modified.

Now that I've figured out what needs to be done to achieve this, it shouldn't take long to get it up and running.  In the meantime, the version I posted is fully playable and should satisfy everyone who wants to get going with this script right away.

I'm glad to hear the names for the Dream Brothers meet with approval.  In the Japanese version their names are the French, Italian, and Spanish words for 'dream', but I would imagine those probably sound more exotic to Japanese people than they do in the west.  So my first thought was to simply change them to 'dream' in some other languages, but I couldn't find many that I actually liked the sound of.  The only one that really did sound good was "oneiro", and once I remembered that Oneiros was a Greek god of dreams, it didn't take too long to find the names of Morpheus, Phobetor, and Phantasos in association with that.

It works on several levels: they are three brothers; they have power over human dreams; and their names are mythological/literary in origin, which the Final Fantasy series has repeatedly drawn from in naming its characters.  It even works on a visual level: Phobetor is the bringer of nightmares, so I made him the scariest-looking one (Curly in the original release); Morpheus is the most human, so he's the most normal of the three (Larry); and Phantasos is the most surreal, so he's the one whose design is a bit out there (Moe).

I remember finding it funny that they were Three Dream Stooges the first time I played it, but obviously that's not what they were originally.  It's another case where I wasn't sure I wanted to change it at first, but came around to it once I'd figured out how to do it in an interesting way.

Dzumeister

• Zaubermancer
    • View Profile
the three dreamateers
free sluffy

Heaven Piercing Man

• View Profile
I've always been split on the Dream Stooges. I know calling them Rêve, Sueño and Sogno feels kinda "eh" for us (and the punctuation marks make them harder to hack them in properly), and making them a reference to the 3 Stooges keeps it interesting, but it's actually turning a creepy scene into a comedy one as usual, and objectively speaking, it's a bit too J2Eish.

That said, your choice is great.

Now, if I were to make a Spanish version, would I go for your names or call 'em Rêve, Dream and Sogno? Hahaha!

Masaru

• i want to know diasm and c++
    • View Profile
i would like to someone import the translation to the RPGOne english translation and make the definitive edition of the game

BlazeHeatnix

• View Profile
I've always been split on the Dream Stooges. I know calling them Rêve, Sueño and Sogno feels kinda "eh" for us (and the punctuation marks make them harder to hack them in properly), and making them a reference to the 3 Stooges keeps it interesting, but it's actually turning a creepy scene into a comedy one as usual

I don't think the scene was meant to be especially creepy...I mean seriously, look at them.

They're obviously not meant to be taken seriously, especially since they're one of the easiest boss encounters in the game.

PowerPanda

• View Profile
There's also Stand Guard and there was another project on Slick Productions by Darkmage. But yeah, these all in conjunction are one of the major reasons I decided that I didn't want to make a Project III. FFVI has more than enough love. (Consequently, none of these hacks have met my personal desires for an FFVI script hack--which would be to leave menu strings within the predefined constraints, fix nearly all bugs, and add some enhancements. It's why I stuck with the GBA version...)

What you're looking for is C.V.Reynold's Bug-Fix Compilation and Script Fix.

svenge

• View Profile
I've made a new patch, which I'm calling v0.99b.  It can be found here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/thpj3wvcykem8ba/FF6_hh_script_v0.99b.zip/file

This incorporates all the script improvements I made earlier, as well as changing 'cleavage' to 'assets'.  That seemed to be a popular choice.

Thanks for uploading 0.99b for us!  This should certainly be sufficient to tide us over until whenever you feel that 1.0 is ready. 

EDIT:  One minor thing I noticed is the lack of a space between the amount of gil earned and the word "Gil" in the end-of-battle status message.  It should read [AMOUNT] Gil, and not [AMOUNT]Gil.  I know it's a minor thing, but it's off-putting to see it formatted like that.

EDIT 2:  I created a patch for TWUE 2.04 that fixed the "Gil spacing" issue, and it also successfully fixes the issue on your latest release (0.99b) as well. 
Google Drive link

« Last Edit: July 07, 2019, 09:01:55 am by svenge »

hairy_hen

• View Profile
Excellent!  It's a small thing, but that does look a lot better.

I've been making good progress on turning this into an independent version of the game.  This is mainly a matter of narrowing down which hacks and patches to include and putting it all together.  I've already sorted out the enemy/item names, item descriptions, and location names, and am currently wading through the names of enemy attacks.

Trying to avoid awkward abbreviations wherever possible, though sometimes this is unavoidable due to the character limits.  I'd rather see something that looks like a full word than a bunch of jumbled up consonants if that can feasibly be done, so sometimes it may be preferable to drop a syllable or two than try to cram everything in with no vowels.  Mostly using the GBA names since they're consistent across the series, but occasionally I'll defer to Woolsey's version if it does a better job of fitting into the available space while still sounding good.  He definitely had a knack for coming up with interesting names, often with amusing puns in them.

I'd wanted to include both the Restored Ability Names patch and the Condensed Spell List, but they seem to be incompatible with each other.  Every time I made a test file with both of those, it soon became unstable and crashed.  Once I removed Condensed Spell List, everything starting working perfectly again.  Each of them makes adjustments to the menu code, and apparently in ways that conflict rather badly.  Everything else seems to work together perfectly as far as I can tell, so I don't anticipate any more issues of that kind.  Restored Ability Names is great since it takes care of all the spells and other techniques with minimal need for abbreviation; though because the new names go into the extended rom area, they can no longer be adjusted in FF3usME and require hex editing to make any further changes.  I still need to learn more about it before doing anything with that.

The only one I don't quite like is 'Bum Rush', which for some reason was not updated in the naming patch.  In Japanese this is literally something like 'Phantom Battle Dance', so I'd want it to say something more along those lines if possible.  Phantom Rush from the GBA isn't bad, or maybe Ghost Rush so that it would also fit into the menu screen, or... well, something.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2019, 07:58:57 pm by hairy_hen »

G061

• View Profile
First, I do wanna commend you for your efforts work. I've been looking to enjoy a more accurate translation of FF6 and the SNES original just doesn't cut it for me but the downgrades to graphics and audio of the GBA version are too much for me to ignore too.

All I want is the SNES version, ideally something compatible with Rodimus' TWUE and the GBA script straight up. It's what Square-Enix is going by these days and like Chrono Trigger DS/PC it really should be all we need going forward.

So why not just port the GBA script into the SNES version?  Another project has already done this
Have they actually? The only one I can think of is Dr. Meat's hack and iirc even it is a portmanteau of snes/gba and their own take which isn't really the GBA Script at that point. I think there was someone on these boards who was working on a straight GBA Script port but they haven't given an update in some time now.

It's a bit frustrating and overwhelming to have 3 or so different retranslations about now and I really dunno which is the one I want to dive in on. Sorry if I'm sounding entitled or ignorant but at this point I still feel like TWUE will be the way to go til a real GBA Script port happens some day.

Dzumeister

• Zaubermancer
    • View Profile
imagine a GBA script port with the GBA version's font  :P
free sluffy

vivify93

• Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
What you're looking for is C.V.Reynold's Bug-Fix Compilation and Script Fix.
I'm aware of this! :) It's just that he doesn't fix any of the major translation errors, or fix Cyan's parlance, or alter any item names/descriptions meaningfully...
All my life I've tried to fight what history has given me.

hairy_hen

• View Profile
Not to worry, I certainly understand why it would be frustrating or confusing to have multiple versions of the same game out there.

Even though there's a lot of inertia to overcome, I do hope that anyone who plays this will find it worthwhile.  I wouldn't have spent so much time working on it if I wasn't confident in its quality; but in the end, whether someone likes it or not is probably just going to come down to a matter of what kind of writing they prefer.  I would encourage anyone who is on the fence about trying a new version to give it a shot, because every previous translation had problems of one kind or another, and I sought to correct them all.  Ideally there would have just been one perfect translation of this game and no one would have to think about any of this stuff, but it didn't quite turn out that way.

svenge

• View Profile
So far with 0.99b I've gotten as far as getting to the Returners' base for the first time and am rather enjoying the translation.

July 11, 2019, 08:43:50 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)

I noticed a couple typos, in that while the NPC dialog properly refers to the "Lethe River", when you go to that area it's referred to as the "Lete River" when you actually go there.  It's location name #40 if you look at it in FF3usME.  Also, while the dialog script refers to Darill as "Daryl" (i.e. the original SNES translation's name), the location name for her tomb (#58) refers to her as Daryll.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 07:06:32 pm by svenge »

BlazeHeatnix

• View Profile
That was a flaw with WU, and it's been fixed now.

hairy_hen

• View Profile
Location names have all been taken care of, so there won't be any more inconsistencies with the dialog.  For the past few days I've been familiarizing myself with hex editing so that I could make some text adjustments outside of what the editing program allows for.  Last time I did anything like that was messing around with Gameshark codes on the Nintendo 64, so it's been a while.

I'm nearly ready to submit this project to the database again.  Now there are only a few little details left to sort out and it'll be completely ready.  I'm thinking of putting it into the Translation category since the primary purpose for its existence is the script, rather than hacking per se.  I am including the various bug fixes and certain additional features (B-button dash and so on), but I'm wondering whether I should also do a version without them, in case there's anyone who would rather play this closer to the original experience with all its programming quirks intact.

In any case, I'm certainly looking forward to actually playing this myself.  When you work on something this long, it can be a bit hard to get back to thinking of it as something to experience and enjoy for what it is rather than staying in the mindset of making tweaks and adjustments, but I'm almost at that point now.

CoolCatBomberMan

• View Profile
After briefly glimpsing at your script, and cross-referencing with Mato's stream, I gotta say.........I can't wait! You showed a type of attention to detail no fan translation has exhibited before! I'd dare say that in terms of story, your patch just might be the definitive means of playing the SNES version! Keep up the good work!