News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Translations: Fire Emblem: Thracia 776 receives translation patch after 19 years of being Japan-exclusive  (Read 3119 times)

RHDNBot

Update By: Cirosan

Thracia 776, the last entry in the Fire Emblem series that had remained untranslated, has finally received a fan translation patch over 19 years after its release. Initially released for the Nintendo Power download system in Japan, the title also had a limited cartridge run for the SNES.

The patch, dubbed "Project Exile," is a full translation patch which affects all chapters, all menus, all items, all epilogues, the intro and outro crawl, the world map, and much more. It makes Thracia 776 playable in its entirety, and was created by a team led by Cirosan, using the remnants of Kirb’s patch as a foundation and merging Zane’s menu translation with it (as well as receiving considerable technical advice from him).

In addition, the script has been written from scratch, using a new translation done by Cirosan, the project lead. In the spirit of transparency, complete PDFs of the entire script can be found via a link in the Readme.

Project Exile represents a grand collaboration between many people from across the world, none of whom have ever met in person. The patch team consisted of people from throughout the United States, France, and Austria, who all pooled their expertise and talents to make this patch a reality.

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link

CrocMagnum

• View Profile
This is a quality translation. Cirosan he has announced a "polish" update will be released this month.

For those who never player Fire Emblem 5 Thraccia:

This is a fantastic game but compared to Fire Emblem 4 Seisen no Keifu, FE 5 is quite brutal:

In comparison it makes Super Robot Taisen 3/4 look like a walk in the park. I'm serious. :P

Enemies can capture your units. Then after you finally get the hang of the game, the "Fatigue System" (from Ch. 08) will say hello and ruin your strategy: fatigued units will be unable to fight for the next chapter. Fortunately there's an item that allow you to bypass fatigue.

It's exhilarating to play this game when you finally get the hang of it. Just remember FE5 needs some dang good careful planning.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2019, 10:06:43 am by CrocMagnum »
Pity the world if you fail Spirit Monk, for you are the last. (Jade Empire)

Special T

• View Profile
thank you to everyone involved for taking the time to create this  :thumbsup:

mikeprado30

• View Profile
Every effort put in this saga will be always very valued.

Thanks a lot to Cirosan and his amazing team!  :thumbsup:

DragonflyShadows

• View Profile
Hoping for a Casual Mode patch.
I love the story of Fire Emblem games, but usually I get to a certain point and lose like 6 people fairly early on in the game but I don't like learning all the save state hotkeys for different emulators and rarely rebind keys for consistency.

Snatcher

• Vereor Nox
    • View Profile
Awesome work! Can't wait to try this out!

I was wondring if there was any difference between this game and the Nintendo Power version?
"This is a work of fiction. If you find any relation to real people, events, or locations, then you are obviously on crack."
-Kishimoto Masashi

Cirosan

• View Profile
Awesome work! Can't wait to try this out!

I was wondring if there was any difference between this game and the Nintendo Power version?
The NP version has a small number of bugs, which the ROM version - which is what this patch uses - fixes.

svenge

• View Profile
I was wondering if there was any difference between this game and the Nintendo Power version?

There were a few minor differences, at least according to The Cutting Room Floor.

fran

• View Profile
nice release but doesn't work with all the older bsnes versions i tried
it's a pity but bps patches are always a pain somehow

A.W. Laris Borromeo

• View Profile
Why is the hero leader named Leif? When I first played this game (before the translation patch was named) his name is Leaf.

Q

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • Meow, busy hackers!
    • View Profile
Thanks for this! I've been playing a lot of Super Famicom Wars this past year and have been interested in playing some of the Fire Emblem games from the same era.
Sneko, the Super Nintendo Entertainment Kitty, wishes you luck.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
Why is the hero leader named Leif? When I first played this game (before the translation patch was named) his name is Leaf.
Take a look at the Relevant Link for explanations.  Like Project Naga, this one uses translated names from the available material.

BabaJeanmel

• View Profile
A wonderful translation for a great game. Thanks to all the people involved for your wonderful work !

parodius

• View Profile
This has been translated already a long time ago?

obanusk

• View Profile
They made a lot of arbitrary changes in the name of 'localization', comparing it to the old script they provided a pdf for a lot of changes were made to 'spice things up' where they thought the dialog was too bland, a lot of it reads like a fansub rewrite.

Gamesoul Master

• Jack of All Trades
    • View Profile
They made a lot of arbitrary changes in the name of 'localization', comparing it to the old script they provided a pdf for a lot of changes were made to 'spice things up' where they thought the dialog was too bland, a lot of it reads like a fansub rewrite.
Well, as long as the spirit of the script is upheld, having it flow better for native English speakers is a good thing, gives it a more polished feeling than trying to be too literal with the translation.

And the name changes... Well, mostly keeping it consistent with what IS has used in the current games isn't a bad idea. I believe they successfully walked a difficult tightrope, considering no one solution will please everybody.

Reiska

• View Profile
It's worth noting that the previously available translation patch for FE5 had broken cavespeak menus in many places and also had lots of arbitrary changes, and was generally less faithful to the original script's spirit than this patch (such as an infamous Yu-Gi-Oh Abridged meme in one stage... IN AMERICA!). 

Cirosan, the lead on Project Exile, was very honest about what liberties were taken in the provided PDFs of the script (the largest liberties were on generic villager text), and the fact that they were going something largely in the spirit of what an official localization would probably look like.

As far as name changes: this patch adheres to the official Nintendo localized names where available, sourced from Heroes and Awakening's DLC (with precedence given to the former where conflicts exist, and only using Heroes material implemented in the actual game).  When no official localization was available, if the name appeared in FE4, the name used by bookofholsety's Project Naga patch was used in almost all cases.

Lucumo

• View Profile
Hm, that's always sad to see. Personally, I heavily prefer for groups to stay true to the game, rather than giving it their own spin, to the point of completely abstaining from those.