News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: RPG Maker Thread (probably again)  (Read 1395 times)

Isao Kronos

• View Profile
RPG Maker Thread (probably again)
« on: June 06, 2019, 01:08:04 am »
Been delving back into the realm of (generally free) RPG Maker games again. I've been playing Theia: The Crimson Eclipse and Blackmoon Prophecy II lately.

Theia is here.
Blackmoon II is here.

Theia is one of the most technically advanced RPG Maker 2003 games I've seen. In tandem with engine hacks and whatnot it pushes RM2k3 to its limits. The plot is fairly interesting for an RPG Maker game (details available on request, I'm about 6 chapters in) and while the battle system is ATB it adds enough stuff to make it interesting. It's also very expansive with systems (fuse weapons! weapons have something similar to materia slots! characters can be talked to at a camp later on which will give them different skills depending on what you say!). A fun fact about the game some may not like is it was originally Italian and has been translated into English. I say may not like because I've seen grammar errors and untranslated strings. However, the English version is being worked on still as far as I know. I recommend it highly!

Blackmoon Prophecy II isn't quite as bells and whistles-y and is kinda hampered (I feel) by the fact it is a Final Fantasy fangame and a sequel to a game I got so stuck in because of poor balancing over the years it was out screwing up the area I was in. Characters are decentish, most depth in the ATB is due to equipment decisions, and Magic is freaking overpowered (later enemies can autododge physical!). However, take the whole package and I'm still enjoying it. Writing isn't too bad but I'm kinda sad the dev hasn't really spread his wings to do different stuff (however he has tried) besides Blackmoon Prophecy. His next game is probably going to be Blackmoon Prophecy 3 I believe. I recommend it over some RPG Maker games I've played in the past or if you're interested in a modern take on an FF fangame.

Disch

• NES Junkie
    • View Profile
Re: RPG Maker Thread (probably again)
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2019, 01:19:39 am »
Obligatory mention of Wandering Souls:

https://youtu.be/AvJMlDIvf_o

Isao Kronos

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2019, 01:38:16 am »
Obligatory mention of Wandering Souls:

https://youtu.be/AvJMlDIvf_o

every time right on cue

Recca

• Indignation!
    • View Profile
    • Dynamic-Designs
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2019, 03:42:36 am »
I really enjoyed playing the RPG Maker 2000 game titled "The Frozen World" by Lysander86.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjE5F5iGOqI

He also made other RPG Maker games such as "A blurred Line", "The Book of Three" and "The Blue Contestant", among others.

Many years ago (around 2008 or 2009), I made two Phantasy Star IV fan games using RPG Maker 2000 called "Gryz Quest" and "Kyra's Quest" which were inspired by "Chaz Adventure" and "Raja's Adventure" (that were made by different authors/creators). I haven't been to the site in quite a few years, but I believe that they are all still available at pscave.com. It was a long time ago though, and mine really weren't all that great... If anyone is interested in playing one of these fan games, I would recommend you try "Raja's Adventure". It's by far the best one of the four. Or you could just play the Phantasy Star II text adventures that inspired these fan games.

Edit: I also forgot to mention that "The Frozen World" also has a unique custom made battle system which is rare for RPG Maker games.
There's a person on youtube who uploaded a playthrough of this game if anyone is interested:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmI5DhiNT1Y
« Last Edit: June 06, 2019, 04:03:06 am by Recca »
"Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind."
- Edward D. Morrison (Tales of Phantasia)

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2019, 11:10:25 am »
I've heard lovely things about "Off", which is supposed to be really abstract.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

Sara-chan

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • Divine Blade
    • View Profile
    • Sara's Homepage
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2019, 02:38:35 pm »
My own terrible game. Normally I don't post it anywhere, but... whatever.
In a sky full of people, only some want to fly.
Isn't that crazy?

SleepyFist

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2019, 06:04:58 am »
I've heard lovely things about "Off", which is supposed to be really abstract.
It really is quite good, I recommend Space Funeral as well, it looks like shit intentionally but it does have a point to it.
Sleepy's tune of the week|| Lost Lullabies (Unreleased Samurai Champloo tracks)|| https://youtu.be/BK6PR8DPNOw

aqualung

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2019, 06:46:41 pm »
I've heard good things about Ara Fell and Forever Home, both made with rpgmaker as well. There was also Eternal Eden, and a fan-game based on the My Little Pony franchise called Super Lesbian Horse or something similar, which despite the name it turned out to be quite good. But I don't know if this last one is made with rpgmaker.

SleepyFist

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2019, 09:30:56 pm »
Ara Fell is pretty good from what I've played, I was a few hours in and it seemed pretty solid.

Easy RPG for the 3DS is pretty decent btw, I think it kinda emulates the RPGmaker executable or something, I was using it a few months ago to play Yume Nikki during breaks at work.
Sleepy's tune of the week|| Lost Lullabies (Unreleased Samurai Champloo tracks)|| https://youtu.be/BK6PR8DPNOw

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2019, 10:09:33 pm »
Obligatory Helen's Mysterious Castle, which really does a lot with the RPGM engine. Doesn't seem like RPGMaker stuff aside from a few of the smaller interface bits.

thr

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2019, 08:52:15 am »
i'm shocked nobody mentioned Last Dream yet.

RomanWarrior

• Pier Solar , Beggar Prince, Wukong ,Star Ody. MINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2019, 10:02:36 am »
DRAGON BALL Z LEGEND OF Z

the maker too 5 years to make the game. It's BY FAR the best traditionAL dragon ball rpg next to ATTACK OF THE DAY SAYAJINS on DS

https://youtu.be/G28TfcxCcWE
Captain Tsubasa 3 , 4th most downloaded Spanish translation.  Possibly the first Jap to Spanish translation instead of English to Spanish. There is no English version yet

Isao Kronos

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2019, 04:31:41 am »
Finally picked up Jimmy and the Pulsating Mass. Been having a lot of fun with it.