News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Searching for NES game with many screens of text  (Read 2265 times)

PolishedTurd

• View Profile
Searching for NES game with many screens of text
« on: May 30, 2019, 01:29:34 pm »
I am working on a project for an old friend. I want to send him a long message via an NES game. Ideally, it would be a game with many little screens of text, as immediately as possible after power-on, with a fast typing speed, where screens could be manually advanced by button press. Also ideal if the title screen is straightforward to hack with minimal mirrored tiles, and if the game was released from 1988-1991.

What comes to mind is the cutscenes from Ninja Gaiden, although the text speed is fixed and screens can't be advanced; the wall of text at the beginning of Castlevania 3, although I don't think it's long enough and it scrolls slowly; perhaps a town in an RPG like Dragon Warrior, where each person says a piece of the message, if I could somehow get the game to boot with the player immediately in the town; and other not-so-hot ideas like those. Can anyone think of a more suitable example?

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
Re: Searching for NES game with many screens of text
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2019, 02:45:32 pm »
perhaps a town in an RPG like Dragon Warrior, where each person says a piece of the message

If all you need is one long message, and it's on the NES, and you can advance it with a button press, and the rest of the game is completely irrelevant... then Dragon Warrior is perfect. I hacked it to add dual tile encoding compression, so I know how the text system works, and it's really simple and awesome. The King or whoever gives a long speech at the beginning, so you can just write War and Peace there and he'll read the whole damn thing. If you wanna give it a try, I can give you my table file and you can start typing it in. :)

EDIT: you know, I just couldn't resist it. :D
https://youtu.be/Ym1mwJo30XA
« Last Edit: May 30, 2019, 03:18:16 pm by Psyklax »

PolishedTurd

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2019, 03:14:46 pm »
Wonderful! I'll take a look at DW and see about how much text there is to work with.

nesrocks

• View Profile
    • nesrocks.com
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2019, 04:47:57 pm »
This actually sounds like something that might be easier to code from scratch?

PolishedTurd

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2019, 10:00:06 pm »
I have found this table online:
Code: [Select]
~ New line
> Cursor pointing right
_ Cursor pointing down
^ represents .’
$ represents ..
So it looks like the down arrow is the prompt to push a button for advancing the text. Do I need to count characters and manually put in newline characters for each line of text? Also not sure what the ^ and $ do, but I'll have to experiment. It'll be a few days before I can try anything, but my mind has been cranking on this.
Now I wonder how easily I can skip the name entry screen and start immediately in that first room.

HPJ

• reeeeeeeeeee
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2019, 05:18:06 pm »
It looks like the ^ represents a "." , and the $ can be used in conjunction to make an ellipsis, so [^$] = [...] and [^] = [.]

I wonder if that random barrage of punctuation is in any way legible for anyone other than me...

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2019, 05:36:45 pm »
Did you actually watch my video? Just getting the impression that you didn't. I dumped the DW script so I have the table file I made:

Code: [Select]
00=0
01=1
02=2
03=3
04=4
05=5
06=6
07=7
08=8
09=9
0A=a
0B=b
0C=c
0D=d
0E=e
0F=f
10=g
11=h
12=i
13=j
14=k
15=l
16=m
17=n
18=o
19=p
1A=q
1B=r
1C=s
1D=t
1E=u
1F=v
20=w
21=x
22=y
23=z
24=A
25=B
26=C
27=D
28=E
29=F
2A=G
2B=H
2C=I
2D=J
2E=K
2F=L
30=M
31=N
32=O
33=P
34=Q
35=R
36=S
37=T
38=U
39=V
3A=W
3B=X
3C=Y
3D=Z
3E="
3F=""
40=}
41=*
44=:
45=_
47=.
48=,
49=-
4B=?
4C=!
4D=;
4E=)
4F=(
50={
52=.}
53='
54=`
57=[57]
5F=
60=[60]
F0=[PNT]
F1= [NME]
F3=[XP]
F4=[NME]
F5=[NUM]
F6=[SPL]
F7=[INV]
F8=[ME]
FB=@
FC=%
FD=&
FF=[ITM]

And no, you don't have to manually put in line breaks, but I could've told you that if you had thought to ask me about it. :)

PolishedTurd

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2019, 08:44:36 am »
Success! I had only a few hours to turn this around, and your table file was a huge help. I used this utility to start, because I ended up changing dialog for everyone in the throne room and each of the treasure chests. But due to its significant limitations, I had to handle business mostly with a hex editor.
I also used this utility to seal off the throne room, so it's now a one-room game with my custom messages in it. Perfect!

Thank you very much for your help.

MOD EDIT: Please check you have copied the URLs correctly.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2019, 10:09:04 am by KingMike »