News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Pac-Man NES color hack  (Read 2638 times)

Asaki

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
Pac-Man NES color hack
« on: April 28, 2018, 10:00:57 am »
I'm not sure why I bother, when there are better ways to play Pac-Man, but it's all a good learning experience, right??

Anyway, I thought the game was way too dark, so I brightened it up. I borrowed a lot of colors from Namco's Ms. Pac-Man NES port, and referenced the arcade game for other colors. The Pac-Man sprite got cleaned up, so his butt doesn't wiggle anymore. I also got my feet wet with a little ASM hacking, and got the extra lives indicator to use a different palette from the pellets (which required re-drawing the corner of the screen a bit!).

There's a nasty bug in the NTSC versions of the game that I tried fixing, but I'm not sure it's in my power. It seems like any data that is stored in RAM at 700-7FF automatically gets loaded into sprite RAM, so when the game boots up and zeros out that area, it looks there and loads a ton of sprite #0 at position 0,0, with palette #0 (so you see a yellow Pac wedge in the upper-left corner of the screen). The PAL version of the game seems to "fix" this by filling that block with EF instead of 00, which I assume just hides the sprites in the lower-right corner where you can't see them. I don't know how to copy the routine(s) over to the NTSC version without breaking the whole thing =)

So I gave up and made patches for both regions and I've been playing the PAL one. The music isn't sped up, but the gameplay is. I think I might prefer it that way.

The color I chose for the keys might be a bit dark, I'll look into it later.

I think there might be another bug on level 22 (the final looping one), because at the beginning of the stage, the ghosts stay in scatter mode for far too long. I'm not sure if I want to look into that or not, but one would think it would be easy to fix, once it was found.

Just for fun, I made a separate patch that just changes Clyde to green, like in Pac-Man VS.

Here's the patches, they're all for the Namco published versions from 1993 (not the Tengen ones). They might work on the VC ROMs, too. Tested in emulators and on real hardware.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/qazt8b4fpdcdaiv/pac-man_colorhack.zip

I also threw in my TXT file of messy notes, in case they're useful to anyone.

Apparently my next project is an "LCD Ghosting Removal Patch" for the Nintendo DS Game & Watch collections. I'm about 17% finished with the first game. I'm sure there's a much faster way to do it than how I'm doing it =)
« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 10:06:56 am by Asaki »

SuperStarFox

• View Profile
Re: Pac-Man NES color hack
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2019, 04:23:31 am »
Dude... I Remember Wanting Something Like This For As Long As I Can Remember and You My Friend Did Kingtastic! I Even Colorized This As An Image On DeviantArt and Dreams DO COME TRUE!  :angel:

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2019, 06:55:28 am »
Nice. For what it's worth I dig this and will use this instead of the original from now on.

#

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2019, 09:54:28 am »
Nice work. This really deserves to be on this site as I'm sure many NES Pac-Man players would love this.

I noticed this hack is over a year old, so perhaps the bugs have been fixed. But if not I might take a look at it as I'm currently working on a little hack for this game.

SuperStarFox

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2019, 05:36:29 pm »
Asaki, What Did You Use To Make This Romhack Happen?

FreightMan71

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2019, 03:26:33 pm »
I didn't think this would be a big deal (I've seen "improved" color hacks that actually makes things worse or weird), but man, I gotta give props.
I set up the original Namco NES game side by side with the improved color one, and yea, big difference.

Definitely easier on the eyes and truer to the arcade.

And you know, in all my years of playing the NES version, I NEVER noticed Pac Man's butt wiggled around!  :laugh:
Now that it's pointed out, that actually bothers me!!

Well, with your improvement, Asaki, not only do I get better coloring and brighter visuals, but NO MORE WIGGLE BUTTS!

Kudos and thank you for this.

Asaki

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2019, 10:24:09 am »
Hey thanks guys =) Have been away from the site for a bit, and haven't really been hacking at all (just playing lots of Dragon Quest and D&D).

Nice work. This really deserves to be on this site as I'm sure many NES Pac-Man players would love this.

I noticed this hack is over a year old, so perhaps the bugs have been fixed. But if not I might take a look at it as I'm currently working on a little hack for this game.

Yeah, I kind of forgot about it. I just want to adjust the color I chose for the keys and then give it a proper upload.

Haven't touched it since, so if you think you can figure out how to fix the glitch, that would be awesome. I spent a few hours trying to track it down, and just kind of gave up.

Asaki, What Did You Use To Make This Romhack Happen?

Hmm, I thought I had written out a README file, but I guess if I did, I didn't include it.

I think I used FCEUX 2.2.3 for its debugger...I'll have to look up the rest later, I know I used a palette finding program, but I'm not sure which folder I have it in...

Googie

• Keepin' ROM Hacking gangsta since 2003
    • View Profile
    • My work in progress ROM Hacking site
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2019, 01:58:54 pm »
I dig this hack, it's really good.  :thumbsup:
This is most gangsta.

SuperStarFox

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2019, 08:30:58 pm »
Hey Asaki... SuperStarFox Here!
Are You Thinking About Improving Some Graphics For This Color Hack? If So, Then That's Great Cause I Have A Sprite Sheet That You Can Use For This Romhack and I Hope You Like It...  ;)

Link: http://fav.me/dd7obm0