News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Looking to get some bugs fixed in Sweet Home NES  (Read 616 times)

TheSiege

• View Profile
Looking to get some bugs fixed in Sweet Home NES
« on: May 18, 2019, 02:00:01 pm »
Hello all. I am the co-author of a translation hack for Sweet Home for the NES. I've learned a lot since my time working on this project and although I am pleased that it got as far as it did. JMN did a fantastic job with the tools that we had at the time, but it still needs a lot of polish.

The main points of contention that still bother me to this day concerning the patch:
* JMN used the original translation by suicidal as a base, cementing its status as an addendum, rather than a full translation.
* There's a major bug that can soft lock the game if you examine the statues guarding the final area at a certain moment in the game.
* This point about timing is a bit difficult to explain, so I'll give RaneofSOTN's explanation from the Speedrun forums:

"To be honest. You can't compare the two translations. TheSiege's version is inheritantly faster. It does NOT play exactly the same as the japanese version. Case and point: Play the 3 versions off the same input on an emulator. The emulator basically makes it so the console is the same. What you will see is that the J and old trans patch will keep in sync as the game goes on, but TheSiege's patch will start to break off as little as 1-2 combats in. The revisions to the text system make it the ¤faster¤ version but it isn't correct. It leads to impossible RNG seeds comparing into the original game. This is very easy as I can de-sync them on the first combat VERY easily, which means that due to the frame rules this game uses... TheSiege's patch has options to improbable seeds that may or may not be possible in the original."

* I've always wanted to add some touch ups to the translation itself as well.

I'd like to see these problems finally get fixed. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

goldenband

• View Profile
Re: Looking to get some bugs fixed in Sweet Home NES
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2019, 07:18:48 pm »
Interesting. Do the "impossible" seeds lead to game-breaking situations, or is it simply that speedrunners are noticing that they yield results that aren't consistent with the original unmodified game? I don't know that duplicating the exact RNG seeding of the original is a requirement for a translation patch, as long as it doesn't break the game for normal play.

Of course the softlock bug is well worth correcting, though -- I'm really glad to see a patch author making the effort to go back and fix an issue like that. :)

Cyneprepou4uk

• View Profile
Re: Looking to get some bugs fixed in Sweet Home NES
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2019, 08:49:33 am »
* There's a major bug that can soft lock the game if you examine the statues guarding the final area at a certain moment in the game.

Make a savestate with and without that bug. Copy ram values from one save to another until you figure out which address causes it. Then find a way to fix it.

As for the rest 2 issues, I would say that users will not care at all.
I am the baldest romhacker
NES Romhacking Guide