News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: The Crow Nintendo / NES Sprite Sheet (Based on NES Batman Game)  (Read 3087 times)

sil3nt_j

• View Profile
I don't know anything about programming or hacking so right now this is just a dream. Maybe someone on here will take an interest in it? Hope you enjoy.

R.I.P. Brandon Lee

« Last Edit: May 18, 2019, 05:07:16 pm by sil3nt_j »

PolishedTurd

• View Profile
Re: The Crow Nintendo / NES Sprite Sheet (Based on NES Batman Game)
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2019, 06:39:11 pm »
I like the idea of this! Cool sprite work. Is that the Ninja Gaiden Ryu sword animation I see there? I would love to see this in action, but I'm aware of a few hurdles:
  • The movie takes place at night, and the Crow wears all black. The background tiles also feature a lot of shadows. That means poor contrast, not just for the main character, but all the other sprites that share his palette. The Batman game dealt with this by choosing a controversial purple color for Batman. Not sure how to balance this. You can try the ROM hack of Batman that makes him black and gray to see how it's not really an improvement, in that more may be lost than gained.
  • The AI is really dumb... The bosses have very specific, short patterns that are easily memorized, and the henchmen are even dumber, standing still or doing a mechanized, timed attack with no regard for what the player is doing. I think the AI would need to be improved for the game to be palatable.
  • The levels can be edited in spiin's CAD Editor, but this has its own challenges: The palette is sometimes wrong and must be corrected with Batdance; the screens of each level are sometimes mirrored, which means you must be very careful about which ones you change, or carefully compose a new layout for the screens you modify, lest the level become unplayable. This would also mean manually moving all the AI spawn coordinates. And finally, there is a strange glitch when I change Batman's spawn coordinates, where backtracking through the level at some stages results in weird, wrong tiles being written to the screen. This was the straw that broke my back on a Batman hack. I could probably figure it out, but it would mean hours doing detective work in the ASM instead of design and gameplay work on the hack, and I ran out of steam between that and other things happening at the time.

It is a cool idea though, don't get me wrong. Would love to see this happen, as all other games based on the Crow are crap. I have compiled a decent amount of info on hacking Batman, but I have not managed to post it in the DataCrystal. If anyone is interested, let me know and I'll figure out a way to upload it.

sil3nt_j

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2019, 07:40:08 pm »
Hey, thanks for the response. Yes that is Ryu's sword animation  >:D

The AI isn't a big deal to me, I still thought the Batman game was fairly challenging. As for the colors, what if you used one of his alternate palettes? I made a purplish one and a blue one that were in the sprite sheet.

May 21, 2019, 11:43:09 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Well, just saw the post by "Lilinda" that said hack requests don't go here, but what about sprite sheets? I tried posting this in personal projects and it was moved here. Just a little confused. Had an update to the Ghost Rider sprite sheet I was trying to post.

May 24, 2019, 07:45:11 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Added some alternate palettes. There is no solid black on these so they should show up on a black background. Try it out:

« Last Edit: May 24, 2019, 07:45:12 pm by sil3nt_j »

#

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2019, 08:39:11 pm »
Here's how your Crow looks like in-game:

Top left is original palette. Top right is original with black replaced
Bottom left is based on your original palette. Bottom right contains two possible alternatives using the colors closest to the original brown.

That's how limited the palette is: http://www.thealmightyguru.com/Games/Hacking/Wiki/index.php?title=NES_Palette

sil3nt_j

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2019, 02:12:11 am »
Nice. Thanks for taking the time to post that and for telling me about the colors. Also, how does white work? Does it count as a color? Was confused because I heard that it didn't.

EDIT

Here's the new and improved sprite sheet. Re-colored the levels, title screen, enemies and bosses too. I will re-color Ghostrider's soon. For Eric Draven, I figured if he can't be black, he can at least be blue. I mean why not, there is some official merchandise out there with him colored blue:

EDIT

added a few alternate palettes:

May 29, 2019, 06:55:48 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Just made these, figured they would be good for an intro:

« Last Edit: May 29, 2019, 06:55:49 pm by sil3nt_j »

PolishedTurd

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2019, 07:27:45 pm »
Darn, the bottom left looks great in terms of realism. A shame it's so hard to see!

It's tough wearing all black at night in NES world. No one can see the darkness inside your cold, dark, pixelated heart. And did I mention the darkness.

Here's how your Crow looks like in-game:

Top left is original palette. Top right is original with black replaced
Bottom left is based on your original palette. Bottom right contains two possible alternatives using the colors closest to the original brown.

That's how limited the palette is: http://www.thealmightyguru.com/Games/Hacking/Wiki/index.php?title=NES_Palette

sil3nt_j

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2019, 09:13:57 pm »
Yeah had to recolor it too because I didn't see any colors in the NES palette that were close to that. It was either solid black or another color. I thought that blue and white looked good because for 1, you can see all the details, and for 2, it makes him look kind of ghostly.

Also there is some merchandise with him colored blue. Found this on google as an example:

June 02, 2019, 06:53:03 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Just realized I forgot to recolor the Top Dollar level with the NES colors, so here it is. Also, I was playing the NES Batman game today and I noticed that, in between levels, he drives the Batmobile. Since Eric Draven doesn't have a car though, I was thinking he could run. So I borrowed some of the sprites from the first Ninja Gaiden and gave him a running animation for in between the levels. It would be awesome if someone could make an 8 Bit version of the "Dead Souls" song from the movie. Thanks to vgmuseum for the Ninja Gaiden sprites:

June 02, 2019, 07:29:18 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
EDIT

looks like someone already made an 8 bit version of the movie's theme song... hahaha, perfect song for this game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlFCCOHs5Z0
« Last Edit: June 02, 2019, 07:29:18 pm by sil3nt_j »