News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: [SNES/SFC] Dark Kingdom  (Read 1540 times)

EnzouRakka

• View Profile
[SNES/SFC] Dark Kingdom
« on: December 23, 2019, 03:17:15 pm »

I know this one is a particularly atrocious ROM, hacking wise, yet the game itself is quite good for the time. I personally love the storyline.

This is mostly an interest thread, as I'm hoping to draw up some help in finding the location of a few bits of info I just can't seem to find on my own.
Namely, the main few characters data for the combat dialogue window so they can be translated, and the pointer tables for the main and combat dialogues, so I could get a rough estimate of the space I'd have to work with. 
I am aware the dialogue has quite a few opcodes either preceding or post-ceding each line, which is mainly why I can't find the pointer tables to begin with. I have tried to parse some asm disassembly using Geiger's debugger in an effort to find them, but my code-fu isn't yet good enough, so I'll stick to what I can do, and Translate!

I've been steadily working on the dialogue script (Up to the end of the second scenario atm), and have already translated the entire items/spell/player/information as they appear on the main menu screens.  The equip menu needs a hack to adjust the furigana line from 8px height to 16pix height.  The (blue) equip menu also needs the six equip slots to be edited, as certain characters are re-used and it's quite wacky how it's encoded and pointered.  The Combat menu needs the main cast names located so that they can be translated (A certain location translates quite a few mercenaries, but not the main cast).  Also the combat menu action bar (SWM, AP, Magic, Item/ etc) I have failed to locate at the moment, but I do believe they are the victim of some kind of DTE/MBE if I understand VRAM at all.

The fonts and data are compressed, no surprise there.  I've been working with two table files in windhex, one of which uses an MBE at $F9xx for a full 256 kanji bank, and handles main dialogue and combat dialogue's 16x16 font, the other is an 8x8 relegated to the main menus.

I'll post more as I accomplish more.  I'm really just happy to attempt a small translation romhack!

aqualung

• View Profile
Re: [SNES/SFC] Dark Kingdom
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2019, 09:07:24 am »
Wow, that's a nice surprise! I didn't know of anybody trying to translate this game. I find its setting quite misterious and the graphics remind me more of a genesis game than a snes one (Phantasy Star III and IV come to mind), because of how dark the color palette is. It also reminds me a little of a pc-engine game called Jaseiken Necromancer, or something like that.

I wish you the best of luck in this project. Wish I could offer some help, but my snes hacking knowledge is zero and my Japanese level isn't too high either. Thanks a lot for all the efforts you're putting into this game. I'll look forward to any progress!
« Last Edit: December 25, 2019, 10:40:52 pm by aqualung »

Vanya

• View Profile
Re: [SNES/SFC] Dark Kingdom
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2019, 09:02:17 pm »
Cool! Always great to be able to look forward to a new RPG to play!
Thank you for working on this.