News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Karous / カラス [SEGA Dreamcast] - Translation  (Read 4163 times)

Rolly

• SEGA & Dreamcast fan ^^
    • View Profile
Karous / カラス [SEGA Dreamcast] - Translation
« on: April 30, 2019, 07:59:17 am »
Hello @everyone ;)

I am currently translating to english Karous / カラス - a dark shmup with rpg elements to the SEGA Dreamcast console. Developed by Milestone studio.
Currently, I have already translated menus, descriptions, VMU screens, gameplay graphics and icons.
I add also some fixes. Like bigger fonts, bigger items icon and some smaller corrects.
Before I personally work on other own Dreamcast project (translate to polish language), so this is my first work with JP game and translating to english  ;)

Translation will be work on real DC hardware and emulators like NullDC, Demul, Makaron or Reicast. Without external patcher. Progress is really good - so keep fingers crossed!

Here is some shoots ;)

Localization team
Rolly - Translation, implementation, hack, GFX
RafaGam - Advanced translation

PS. I am looking for help in translating Japanese dialogues. Unfortunately, they are in the form of images, so I can not help myself with online tools etc. If someone would help me - please contact me DM/PM/Twitter, DIscord - https://discordapp.com/invite/V69fKeK . Job will be faster if we have one more person to help  :D
I exported files and are ready to read & translate (~150 short dialogs, text have 3-4 lines).
« Last Edit: May 30, 2019, 09:10:56 am by Rolly »

ArkthePieKing

• View Profile
Re: Karous / カラス [SEGA Dreamcast]
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2019, 01:14:09 am »
Oh this looks rad! Great work so far!

Rolly

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2019, 03:58:24 am »
Thank you!
Tutorial translated. Now I am looking for help with advanced japanese dialogues.
Here is some gameplay - tested on emulator.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHTg-9butDs

* Bad sounds/musics - these are emulator errors.

John Enigma

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2019, 08:46:27 pm »
Something that I found out about this game is that this is the last officially licensed game for Dreamcast, which was released on March 8, 2007, which was roughly 12 years, a month, and 27 days as of now.

Interestingly enough, this game was also released on the Nintendo 3DS as well. So maybe you can try porting the script from the localized version of it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karous

tc

• Lum Fan
    • View Profile
    • Eon Blog
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2019, 02:40:10 am »
I think the Wii version is closer to the original game. It has useful resources like an English logo.

Rolly

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2019, 06:30:23 am »
The version from NDS is a completely different game :(

Unfortunately, the text is in the form of graphics. It's completely different type than the one from DC. I tried - unsuccessfully.
In addition, the Wii version, although officially in English, has no translated graphics both during the intro and during the game.
In the Wii version, the font used is so small that it is difficult to read it. The same problem applies to the SEGA Dreamcast version.
In the translation, I improved its size, and also translated icons of objects that were not translated into the Wii. I will also deal with graphics that have not been touched on Nintendo port ;)

John Enigma

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2019, 10:15:17 pm »
^ Naisu.

BadChad

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2019, 12:03:03 am »
I think the Wii version is closer to the original game. It has useful resources like an English logo.

Yeah, it was localized on the Wii in the "Ultimate Shooting Collection". The intro seems to be untranslated, but I believe all the in-game dialogue has been translated to English. Could definitely help with the project.

Rolly

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2019, 08:19:44 am »
What I could sensibly use with Wii has already done :)
The problem is that the dialogues are not always shown in the same order and it's hard to match them to English. In addition, the official Wii version has a translation errors. Example - 2 Boss. Duplicated dialogs and name from 1 boss.. :(
Unfortunately, there are still quite a few manual editing of dialogue graphics (so still searching a JP translator help).
In the margin. I have prepared English icons for items - they look great. Here is short preview.

Anyway :) If someone whant to help me - here is some files to translate.

Eyecatch : https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Wf83IqaD5jSNrUXVD_qpeiASRwBBeTW2sx0RE2Pk3Bk/edit?usp=sharing
Mails : https://docs.google.com/document/d/1dG_1fVBL5-dBvlHbfUzV8M205HaIbBcgCGu2YwatOeA/edit?usp=sharing
OP & Titles : https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Z33WlieytMe6PEvl1pDSzV5Dphr_7F3qOTgIsL_MQOk/edit?usp=sharing
« Last Edit: May 12, 2019, 07:57:41 am by Rolly »

Rolly

• View Profile
Re: Karous / カラス [SEGA Dreamcast] - Translation
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2019, 05:20:49 pm »
Update!
With the awesome help & japanese skills of RafaGam, the translation of Karous moved forward!
We have all text translated to english!
There are now small graphics fixes and game tests/bug find on the SEGA console.
Final patch is getting closer!

And here it is! Sample video with translated game elements from this dark shmup with rpg elements!  8)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6fJvAU4jfE

** SFX & GFX & Slowdowns bugs is emulation errors (and my PC limitations ^^).
Next video will be recorded from real console.

« Last Edit: June 03, 2019, 05:27:44 pm by Rolly »

Rolly

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2019, 05:29:17 pm »
We have it! The Karous translation project is over!  :beer:
Yesterday I played a few hours on the SEGA Dreamcast console - everything works great.
Together with RafaGam , we carry out the latest game tests.

The final release date for the patch - June 8, 2019.
Avalible on RHDN and https://segasky.itch.io/karous-eng-translation (files size is too big to direct DL from RHDC)

List of changes :

- improved icon on the VMU LCD
- all dialogs translated
- translated intro (missing on Wii english port)
- the end of the game has been translated (missing on Wii)
- translated 256 "short titles" available at the start of the game in the upper right corner (not available on Wii)
- translated menu, descriptions
- fixed & translated "EYECATCH" ie pictures between the stages, additionally corrected white lines (not on Wii)
- enlarged dialogue font
- translated items icons (not on Wii)
- improved subtitles on the tutorial
- improved boss textures (not available on Wii)
- translated texts on ships, bosses (not on Wii port)
- translated graphics ads, shop banners at the stages of the game  (not on Wii)​
- CG arts added to the end of the game and tutorial
- Easter eggs were added at various stages of the game ^^

Latest video from test on NullDC : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=em6KAbpMry4

mikeprado30

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2019, 02:13:41 pm »
Congratulations!  :woot!: :woot!:

I hope to look at it around this month :)

alien nose job

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2019, 02:14:40 pm »
Wow !
Thanks a lot, I didn't know about that game, just tried it, what can I say, it's got character.
I'm looking forward to your finished work as it already seems very neat!

Rolly

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2019, 02:22:15 am »
Thanks for all positive comments!  :beer:

Patch is now avalible to download!  :woot!:

https://www.romhacking.net/translations/4664/
https://segasky.itch.io/karous-eng-translation

Enjoy ^^
The Projet Team : Rolly & RafaGam

mikeprado30

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2019, 03:11:10 am »
Thanks a huge lot for this work, Rolly! :thumbsup:

dragonvalor1

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2019, 05:17:55 am »
Thank you.

However I created a few english patched CDIs, except I've got one problem is that all of the resulting CDIs are all way too big to fit in a 700MB CD-R, the smallest english patched CDI I managed to get was 860MB, which will take 777MB when burned on a CD-R, meaning it's still 77MB too big to fit in a 700MB CD-R, any work arounds for this?
« Last Edit: June 15, 2019, 05:29:31 am by dragonvalor1 »

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2019, 04:30:56 pm »
AFAIK, Sega Dreamcast CD's use what was called GD-ROM, which had a higher storage capacity. So I don't think you'll be able to play most Dreamcast games on a CD-R.

There have been some recent developments on the console mod front that replaces the CD drive with an SD card reader. This will allow you play anything you could want on your Dreamcast. I believe it's called GDEMU.

dragonvalor1

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2019, 12:27:21 am »
AFAIK, Sega Dreamcast CD's use what was called GD-ROM, which had a higher storage capacity. So I don't think you'll be able to play most Dreamcast games on a CD-R.

There have been some recent developments on the console mod front that replaces the CD drive with an SD card reader. This will allow you play anything you could want on your Dreamcast. I believe it's called GDEMU.

Most Dreamcast games are available as CDI and fit on 700MB CD-R, and some are available as multi-disc (D2 which is originally available retail on 4 GD-Rom) is available to burn on 7 CD-R, all these were done by ripping groups. Even Karous (the non-english patched japanese version) is available as a CDI and fit 700MB CD-R.

Even Karous english-patched can fit on a 90 Min (800MB) or 99 Min CD-R (870MB), but I would rather use a 700MB CD-R if possible.

Rolly

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2019, 10:58:37 am »
All Karous files have ~165MB.
Fits on CD with any problems. Use a .CDI iso (avalible on net) or org. GD-ROM rip and extract files from GDI image.
All ways works fine.
You find tools on project page.

dragonvalor1

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2019, 06:52:51 am »
All Karous files have ~165MB.
Fits on CD with any problems. Use a .CDI iso (avalible on net) or org. GD-ROM rip and extract files from GDI image.
All ways works fine.
You find tools on project page.

I did all that, got the original japanese CDI and tried patching it multiple times, unfortunately the english patch bloats the original japanese CDI and create a patched CDI file that's 860MB CDI, that 860MB CDI file requires 777MB when burned on a CD-R, meaning it will not fit on a 700MB CD-R...