News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Shounen Ninja Sasuke Translation Hack  (Read 8267 times)

Recca

• Indignation!
    • View Profile
    • Dynamic-Designs
Re: Shounen Ninja Sasuke Translation Hack
« Reply #40 on: May 21, 2019, 08:25:28 am »
Amazing work so far! I've been looking forward to being able to play this game in English for awhile now. Please keep up the good work, everything is looking great so far. I like the look of the font you picked for sure. It fits the game's style perfectly. :thumbsup:
"Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind."
- Edward D. Morrison (Tales of Phantasia)

Reld

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 27, 2019, 08:57:45 pm »
Still working on this. I got the colored buttons and coin icon working. The colored buttons look pretty much just like the mockup, so I won't post a screenshot, but I made a slightly larger custom graphic for the coin.

I've done the Action mode HUD and some of the background graphics.

I also did this little bit of text on the map screen.

What it really says is something like "destination", but I can't make that fit. As you can see, I've gone with "goal" for now. I'm torn between that and "target".

I've been researching the event scripting a lot. The whole game is pretty much run off this event script code that consists of a command byte followed by a varying number of parameter bytes. There are all kinds of commands. Various kinds of jump commands, commands for loading compressed or uncompressed tile maps, compressed or uncompressed graphics, loading palettes, copying/writing/adding to/subtracting from/comparing RAM values, branching based on the value at a RAM address, loading/writing text strings... There's a lot of stuff you could potentially do with it. Unfortunately the event script is restricted to one bank, and there's not much free space there. I was able to modify it to add a little quality of life feature that I had wanted for a while though.

In the unmodified game once you select "Quest" or "Action" mode on the title screen the menu will change to a 1-Player/2-Player select menu. If you accidentally picked the wrong mode, you can't back up. You have to just reset the game. I modified the relevant event script data so it now allows you to back out to the Quest/Action menu again.

I did some more digging into the debug menu. It turns out the code for accessing it from the pause menu is still there, but it's coded as a fifth menu item, and the RAM value for the number of menu items is set to four so it's never selectable. Changing that value to five makes it accessible and, for reasons I have yet to figure out, accessing the debug menu that way actually fixes the stage select. I also tested the "ENE RESET" option, and it does exactly what I thought it would do (makes defeated enemies respawn).

Click below for an unimportant but interesting (to me at least) tangent about old video game magazines:
Spoiler:
I was curious about the EGM2 issue (I said it was EGM before, but it was actually EGM2) mentioned on the Shounen Ninja Sasuke wikipedia page, so I tracked it down. It turns out the article in question had nothing to do with an English release. It's an article from a section specifically about new games coming out in Japan. You can see the pages here: Page 1, Page 2
It doesn't seem like they were very impressed with the game, but I also don't think they actually played it. I think somebody sent them a VHS tape preview. You can see the VCR UI text at the top of one of the screenshots. The issue is from August 1994, and despite them claiming the game was coming out that month it wasn't actually released until October.

The only things of interest to me really are that the screens are from a slightly earlier build of the game (the "lives" icons are gray squares with the characters faces instead of the 1p/2p icons from the final), and that the writer couldn't decide if player two's name was "Chin-Nen" or "Chin-Nan". More on that in a minute.

In the process of looking for that EGM2 issue I actually did find an issue of EGM proper that mentioned the game. This one I find much more interesting.

It's from the June 1994 issue, so a couple months earlier. It looks like EGM and EGM2 couldn't agree on the proper translation for the title either, but I don't really care about that. Look at that screenshot! I guess it's the Action mode HUD, but it's totally different from the final game. Vitality! N-Magic! Why the heck is Sasuke called "M-Buster"!? And player two's name gets yet another spelling!

Speaking of Player two's name, none of the above spellings are actually in the final release. The only official romanization is "CHINNEN". It pops up next to his health bar in Quest mode when he's getting his ass kicked.

Anyway, like I said none of this is really important. I just find pre-release stuff like this fascinating and I figured I'm probably not the only one so I thought I'd share my findings.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2019, 09:30:36 pm by Reld »

mikeprado30

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 27, 2019, 09:22:31 pm »
Very nice work bro!  Looking for this one with high expectances :thumbsup:

Reld

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 09, 2019, 12:16:37 pm »
Got a few more graphics things done.

This screen comes up when you beat a boss.

This weird love graphic pulsates from black to red and back again.

This one was interesting because I had to add new tiles instead of just overwriting/moving existing ones.

I also just got an SD2SNES so I've been testing the hack out on real hardware. I'm sure the novelty's already worn off for a lot of folks around here, but it's still unbelievably cool for me seeing my work running on the real deal.

Googie

• I'd like to solve the puzzle... Jiggers!
    • View Profile
    • My work in progress ROM Hacking site
« Reply #44 on: June 09, 2019, 01:59:08 pm »
That's pretty gangsta, I dig that it works on real hardware.  :thumbsup:

filler

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • "WINNERS DON'T SELL REPROS"
    • View Profile
    • Filler's Translation Projects
« Reply #45 on: June 09, 2019, 03:18:02 pm »
Just want to say, this work looks great. :thumbsup:

Zanemato

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 09, 2019, 04:13:08 pm »
It looks awesome !!!

Dzumeister

• Zaubermancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 14, 2019, 09:15:25 pm »
I've never heard of this game before, but seeing the font and graphic changes you've started implementing all looks really impressive. Good luck with the rest of the project!

As for the debate on the title... would "Ninja Boy Sasuke" sound better? (Not like you'd change it at this point)
free sluffy

Queue

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 14, 2019, 10:50:11 pm »
No, "Ninja Boy Sasuke" would not sound better, it would sound like the lame superhero sidekick name to Samurai Man Kensuke.

Boy Adventurer, Boy Detective, Boy Bishop (not really the same, but still same word order). Consider any occupation that has a gender associated with it (rightfully or otherwise... generally otherwise) and consider how it's modified in general English: Male Nurse, Female Cop. Now consider the same when qualifying age: Child Actor.

A "Ninja Boy" is not the same as a "Boy Ninja" and given the context of this game, it would be Boy Ninja. It's all moot; Reld's done some crazy good art and seems happy with their choice.

BadChad

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 16, 2019, 12:17:32 am »
Not this again...

Reld

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 16, 2019, 10:52:23 am »
Ha ha :laugh: Like I said before, it'll take a pretty strong argument at this point to get me to change the title.

Anyway, I don't really have anything new to show off today. I think I've reached the point where I really just need to get the script translated and inserted. I made a thread about it in Help Wanted here. Drop me a line here, there, or in a PM if you're interested.

I've been working on the staff roll/end credits. I found a translation here, which helped a lot as a starting point, but it ended up not being very accurate. The main reason I wanted to mention this credits stuff is because in doing my research I realized it's no coincidence that this game reminds me of River City Ransom.

The game's director, Shintaro Kumagai, was a programmer on RCR. One of the programmers, Michiya Hirasawa, did sound programming for RCR. The composer, Kazuo Sawa, was the composer for both. The person credited with "sprite design" is "RX-Nedachi-sama", which I'm guessing is Katsuyuki Nedachi who did character design for a bunch of Kunio games (although not RCR apparently). I just thought that was interesting. The more I learn about this game the more fascinating I find it. It's so strange how little discussion there is out there about it.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2019, 11:45:26 pm by Reld »

w1ck3d

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 16, 2019, 11:39:15 pm »
I don't recall Dick Grayson ever being called The Wonder Boy, yet randos keep insisting on calling this kid Ninja Boy. How odd.

Dzumeister

• Zaubermancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 27, 2019, 06:18:34 pm »
I don't recall Dick Grayson ever being called The Wonder Boy, yet randos keep insisting on calling this kid Ninja Boy. How odd.

::)
free sluffy