News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Separate Fire palettes for Mario and Luigi in Super Mario Bros.  (Read 1212 times)

TheNintendude64

• View Profile
I am currently working on a hack for Super Mario Bros. that makes Luigi look like he does on the Gameboy Color port (Super Mario Bros. Deluxe). In that game, Luigi has a separate fire pallet from Mario, and I found a possible way that could make it to where on the NES version Mario and Luigi could have separate fire palettes. In SMB, there are several palette "groups", right? There is the player group, red group, green group, and black group. I noticed that in the green group, there is a palette that looks very similar to Luigi's fire palette in SMBD and the red group has a very similar palette to Fire Mario. I want to know how I change the code in the game to make it to where whenever big Mario touches a fire flower, he uses the red koopa palette, and when big Luigi touches a fire flower, he uses the green koopa palette. Does anyone know how I could pull this off?

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
Re: Separate Fire palettes for Mario and Luigi in Super Mario Bros.
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2019, 02:40:45 am »
Well, changing Mario's palette permanently to one of the other three sprite palettes is easy: just change 40 and 00 at $72A3 and $72AF to have a different number (41, 42, 43). Having said that, you probably want to change the actual palette for Mario and Luigi instead, which is at $5E8 (16 27 18 for Mario, 30 27 19 for Luigi). Just change the values there for a different palette. :)

Oh, forgot to mention that Mario's fire palette is at $5F0, which you probably need to know. :D

TheNintendude64

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2019, 02:53:00 am »
Well, changing Mario's palette permanently to one of the other three sprite palettes is easy: just change 40 and 00 at $72A3 and $72AF to have a different number (41, 42, 43). Having said that, you probably want to change the actual palette for Mario and Luigi instead, which is at $5E8 (16 27 18 for Mario, 30 27 19 for Luigi). Just change the values there for a different palette. :)
Thank you, but I already know how to edit their palletes, what I am asking for is to make it to where Mario and Luigi have Separate fire palettes from each other.

Cyneprepou4uk

• I am the baldest romhacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2019, 07:10:58 am »
At $8606 both players have Y = #08 if they have fire power, which means they both have the same palette. Change code to force it to read separate palette bytes depending on who is playing.

If you need to make a player use different sprite palette number (like green or whatever) instead of his basic first, set some conditions here.

« Last Edit: April 30, 2019, 07:16:54 am by Cyneprepou4uk »
iromhacker.ru - NES ROM hacking tutorials for beginners. Please use Google Translate browser extension