News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Help! Prince Of Persia SNES Custom Sprites  (Read 5522 times)

Shauing

• View Profile
    • YouTube Channel:
Help! Prince Of Persia SNES Custom Sprites
« on: April 24, 2019, 03:50:59 am »
I want to edit/import custom sprites for my SNES mod of Prince Of Persia.
The problem is that most graphics in the game are compressed, with very few exceptions, like hitpoints or the princess room torch.
The compression algorithm of the sprites is known and documented here: https://www.princed.org/w/index.php?title=SNES_format#Sprites
And a tool to extract sprites is also available (which is written in PHP): https://forum.princed.org/viewtopic.php?f=76&t=4236
But no tool to import sprites has been created.

My modifications are intended to be mainly some color swaps/clothing additions for the Prince, Princess and Amazon graphics, for example:
Original:
Final Goal:

Can a tool be created with all this information? Or what should I do?
Prince Of Persia: The Queen Of Light
Discussion and download here:
https://forum.princed.org/viewtopic.php?f=116&t=4270&p=25473#p25440

FCandChill

• View Profile
Re: Help! Prince Of Persia SNES Custom Sprites
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2019, 07:47:00 pm »
Overview of what to do...
  • Code a program to convert indexed bitmaps to byte data. I suggest using Python.
  • Figure out where the pointers are stored in the game.
  • Figure out how to encode the pointers (likely in the LoROM format or little endian)

In bsnes-plus, I would try locating where the graphics are stored in the VRAM. Set a breakpoint there. Once the breakpoint is hit, you can figure out how the game reads points by look backwards in the code.

Obviously, easier said than done, but this is more or less how I figured out how Metal Slader Glory DX for SNES compresses graphics...
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 07:56:44 pm by FCandChill »

Shauing

• View Profile
    • YouTube Channel:
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2019, 01:45:04 am »
Overview of what to do...
  • Code a program to convert indexed bitmaps to byte data. I suggest using Python.
  • Figure out where the pointers are stored in the game.
  • Figure out how to encode the pointers (likely in the LoROM format or little endian)

In bsnes-plus, I would try locating where the graphics are stored in the VRAM. Set a breakpoint there. Once the breakpoint is hit, you can figure out how the game reads points by look backwards in the code.

Obviously, easier said than done, but this is more or less how I figured out how Metal Slader Glory DX for SNES compresses graphics...

Hmm, I see. While I could try to figure out the latter two, I don't know how to code unfortunately (unless I follow instructions).

FCandChill

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2019, 12:20:32 am »
Hmm, I see. While I could try to figure out the latter two, I don't know how to code unfortunately (unless I follow instructions).

You may like this then...
https://www.codecademy.com/learn/learn-python

You'll also have to understand how bitwise math works.

phonymike

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2019, 04:32:28 pm »
I took a quick peek at your project, and phew you guys really get into it over there at princed! You guys have the graphics decompressed and everything. I didn't try your romhack yet but it looks amazing.

If you look at this thread I helped a translator decompress the graphics and insert them into the rom uncompressed. More like guided as he did all the real work cranking out translations.

I was hoping PoP would decompress all the sprite graphics at once into work ram, then move the tiles it needs at any moment onto the screen in vram. The Mystical Ninja and a lot of games have the whole font in wram and copy the letters needed into vram as needed. With PoP, they don't seem to utilize the snes hardware as well as they could probably due to all the ports they made. All I see in wram and vram is the current sprite of the kid, so I'm guessing that the sprite is decompressed as needed, again I only took a peek.

I see all the decompressed graphics using the php code, I would guess the graphics are really mashed together, and the code joined the fragments together to make the output files. If you simply have a large sheet of tiles before combining together, it'd be pretty easy to insert that into the rom as uncompressed. They used compression back in the day because a 1MB rom chip was cheaper than a 2MB. It would be simple to use up to 4MB for PoP snes.

If you find someone who wants to go crazy and recompress new graphics into the ROM that would be awesome (I see some blank space in the ROM here and there), but it'd be much simpler to put the decompressed graphics into expanded space (just make the ROM larger in a hex editor.)

Maybe the Konami SNES Compressor could help?

Great job on the rom hack!

Shauing

• View Profile
    • YouTube Channel:
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2019, 11:32:51 pm »
I took a quick peek at your project, and phew you guys really get into it over there at princed! You guys have the graphics decompressed and everything. I didn't try your romhack yet but it looks amazing.

First of all, thank you for writing and try to help me with this. I hope you try my mod, it's the first one I have ever done, and worked for a little more than a year on it.

Indeed, those guys at Princed are crazy for PoP indeed; I'm just a very curious amateur who only knows how to follow instructions, but from there I can figure out stuff, at times what I was looking for, at other times I get something different but that could be interesting and perhaps work in some way.

If you look at this thread I helped a translator decompress the graphics and insert them into the rom uncompressed. More like guided as he did all the real work cranking out translations.

Looked at the thread you linked, and pretty much I think I can follow instructions if guided like that, though I will still have some doubts on certain stuff.

I was hoping PoP would decompress all the sprite graphics at once into work ram, then move the tiles it needs at any moment onto the screen in vram. The Mystical Ninja and a lot of games have the whole font in wram and copy the letters needed into vram as needed. With PoP, they don't seem to utilize the snes hardware as well as they could probably due to all the ports they made. All I see in wram and vram is the current sprite of the kid, so I'm guessing that the sprite is decompressed as needed, again I only took a peek.

I see all the decompressed graphics using the php code, I would guess the graphics are really mashed together, and the code joined the fragments together to make the output files. If you simply have a large sheet of tiles before combining together, it'd be pretty easy to insert that into the rom as uncompressed. They used compression back in the day because a 1MB rom chip was cheaper than a 2MB. It would be simple to use up to 4MB for PoP snes.

Hmm. How could I make the ''large sheet of tiles before combining together''?

If you find someone who wants to go crazy and recompress new graphics into the ROM that would be awesome (I see some blank space in the ROM here and there), but it'd be much simpler to put the decompressed graphics into expanded space (just make the ROM larger in a hex editor.)

Maybe the Konami SNES Compressor could help?

Great job on the rom hack!

Trying to figure out how to use the Konami SNES Compressor, can't quite get it to work.

My changes are really, really minor, and for now, just for three characters:
- For the Prince, I just want him to have white pants; on the original game, the turban and pants share the same three color palette. In my mod, the Prince looks like this:

I want him to end up looking like this:

- The Princess:
In-game:
Intended:
- The Queen:
In-Game:
Intended:
« Last Edit: April 28, 2019, 12:07:11 am by Shauing »

slidelljohn

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2019, 01:46:54 pm »
I looked at the decompression algorithm and it seems pretty simple. If you can put together your new snes formatted graphics and the pointers to the compressed graphics that you want to change then I could compress the graphics for you. I’ll do the compression but I’m not going to look for all of the pointers. I could probably get the graphics compressed this week if you have them ready to go.

I'm currently developing a snes tool that has a snes painting system in it and it’s going to include algorithms to compress and decompress graphics for various games. After I get the painting systems code cleaned up I’m going to start adding the compression/decompression algorithms and I’ll make sure
I include one for this game. I’m juggling a bunch of projects right now so I’m not sure when my tool would be ready.

Shauing

• View Profile
    • YouTube Channel:
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2019, 09:48:55 pm »
I looked at the decompression algorithm and it seems pretty simple. If you can put together your new snes formatted graphics and the pointers to the compressed graphics that you want to change then I could compress the graphics for you. I’ll do the compression but I’m not going to look for all of the pointers. I could probably get the graphics compressed this week if you have them ready to go.

I'm currently developing a snes tool that has a snes painting system in it and it’s going to include algorithms to compress and decompress graphics for various games. After I get the painting systems code cleaned up I’m going to start adding the compression/decompression algorithms and I’ll make sure
I include one for this game. I’m juggling a bunch of projects right now so I’m not sure when my tool would be ready.

That's awesome! I'm currently modifying all the sprites for the characters I want to be modified, and I am also searching on documented files by the guys at Princed (and asking them too) if they have located the pointers to the compressed graphics of those characters. I'll try to have them all by the end of the week, hopefully along with the pointers.

slidelljohn

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2019, 11:06:54 pm »
Yea, just let me know when you get the data put together. I’ll see about getting a small program put together to where you can do the compression yourself but I’ll have to do a little more research on the game because the compressed graphics pointers also have data for some tile positioning. For the most part you should be able to use the same data for tile positioning as the original unless you are changing height width of graphics. If you have the updated graphics for the main character standing still I could try to compress those while you try and get the other pointers. The standing still graphics pointer is the only pointer that I currently have so it’s the only one that I can try to compress. The standing still graphics should be 3 16x16 tiles.

I looked at the other site you posted on and I see you talked about custom music. I’m not sure if you got all of your custom music in the rom but if not you could try using MSU-1 for the custom music. I have never done anything with MSU-1 so I wouldn’t be much help with that but I’m sure other people could help with it if it’s something you could use.

I have never played this game before but seeing how the game loads the graphics(which is not good) and it’s a slowrom I am assuming there are slowdowns in the game. Have you noticed slowdowns in the game? If so, and if you would like to remove some slowdowns, I could do a fastrom hack for it if you are willing to document all of the assembly code the same format I did for gradius 3 assembly code(gradius 3 asm doc is uploaded). I have a small program that can convert most of the data from assembly files to the correct format for fastrom. The left over asm code that would need to be changed for fastrom would have to be done by hand but it shouldn’t be much. I used giegers snes debugger to create the disassembled snes code.

Shauing

• View Profile
    • YouTube Channel:
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2019, 01:25:02 am »
Yea, just let me know when you get the data put together. I’ll see about getting a small program put together to where you can do the compression yourself but I’ll have to do a little more research on the game because the compressed graphics pointers also have data for some tile positioning. For the most part you should be able to use the same data for tile positioning as the original unless you are changing height width of graphics.

Awesome!
At least for this mod, I don't plan in any changes in height or width for the graphics.

If you have the updated graphics for the main character standing still I could try to compress those while you try and get the other pointers. The standing still graphics pointer is the only pointer that I currently have so it’s the only one that I can try to compress. The standing still graphics should be 3 16x16 tiles.
The standing graphic as I have it from the extracted graphics package at Princed, is originally 9x42 (or 3 tiles of 9x14). I did a 16x48 version by expanding the canvas. I saved both on two formats, .bmp and .png (the .png should have a transparent BG). You can download the four standing graphics here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/6p9778e22vhadkm/Prince%20Standing.zip?dl=1
By the way, could you give me the standing graphics pointer? If I manage to find a match on the documentation, maybe I will find the rest. 

I looked at the other site you posted on and I see you talked about custom music. I’m not sure if you got all of your custom music in the rom but if not you could try using MSU-1 for the custom music. I have never done anything with MSU-1 so I wouldn’t be much help with that but I’m sure other people could help with it if it’s something you could use.

I managed to insert my composition for the title screen, plus an arrangement (also composed by myself) of the Menu music. I didn't attempt to do a complete new soundtrack, as I want to compose all new music for it, but I need to think another 10-20 tunes and within the space I have to write them on the ROM, but that might take another year, and not sure if I'm willing to spend that much time. Another reason I have (or had if this works), was to wait until inserting custom graphics was possible.
I'm also considering in doing a MSU-1 version of my mod, but probably after finishing the normal SNES version one.

I have never played this game before but seeing how the game loads the graphics(which is not good) and it’s a slowrom I am assuming there are slowdowns in the game. Have you noticed slowdowns in the game? If so, and if you would like to remove some slowdowns, I could do a fastrom hack for it if you are willing to document all of the assembly code the same format I did for gradius 3 assembly code(gradius 3 asm doc is uploaded). I have a small program that can convert most of the data from assembly files to the correct format for fastrom. The left over asm code that would need to be changed for fastrom would have to be done by hand but it shouldn’t be much. I used giegers snes debugger to create the disassembled snes code.
Yes, there is slowdown in the game, but those who have played this, are very accustomed to it. It would be great too to have a fastrom hack, though. There is a disassembly document of the SNES Prince of Persia. I'm not sure if its complete, but it is pretty extensive. Here's the thread (the last post has the newest version of the dissassembly): https://forum.princed.org/viewtopic.php?t=3652
« Last Edit: April 30, 2019, 02:33:33 am by Shauing »

slidelljohn

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2019, 07:47:59 pm »
9x42 pixels is only what you can see. The actual data is 3 16x16 tiles. Download this:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/71wlnba7hb4un57/persia_stance.zip/file

That file has a few unorganized docs on the compression format and it has the format that the graphics
need to be in to compress them. The .bin for the graphics can be loaded into any snes tile editor and
it is the 3 16x16 standing still graphics.

The pointer for the 3 16x16 tiles is located at $0F:802A-$0F:802C. The actual pointer is $1B:D871(71 D8 1B). These graphics
get decompressed starting at $7F:9DC0 in ram. The compressed graphics has a 3 byte header and the 3rd byte in the header
controls the number of 16x16 tiles to decompress. The 3rd byte in the standing still graphics header is at $1B:D873 (0x31).
It looks like a lot of the pointers start at $0F:8000 but I'm not sure if that is just the main characters graphics or all graphics.

If you just find the pointers then I could probably get a small graphics editor written for you by the end of next week.
I'll give you the source for it to so you or anyone else can add to it if they want to.

« Last Edit: May 01, 2019, 07:54:08 pm by slidelljohn »

Shauing

• View Profile
    • YouTube Channel:
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2019, 12:46:00 am »
The pointer for the 3 16x16 tiles is located at $0F:802A-$0F:802C. The actual pointer is $1B:D871(71 D8 1B). These graphics
get decompressed starting at $7F:9DC0 in ram. The compressed graphics has a 3 byte header and the 3rd byte in the header
controls the number of 16x16 tiles to decompress. The 3rd byte in the standing still graphics header is at $1B:D873 (0x31).
It looks like a lot of the pointers start at $0F:8000 but I'm not sure if that is just the main characters graphics or all graphics.

If you just find the pointers then I could probably get a small graphics editor written for you by the end of next week.
I'll give you the source for it to so you or anyone else can add to it if they want to.

I think I found them all. Thanks to the pointer (71 D8 1B) and the folder of extracted graphics, I realized that the filename of each of these extracted graphics is actually a sprite number. The standing Prince is sprite number 15 (labeled as 0014). I looked for the pointer in the hex-editor, then started to count backwards every 3-byte as one pointer up to 0F:8000, and turns out, this is pointer number 15.
So, by this logic, and following the numbering in the extracted graphics, the graphic pointers go from 0F:8000 to 0F:9166, that means 4455 bytes, which compose 1485 sprites.

I went to search if I could find the other graphics like the Title Screen, End Credits and maybe the levels, and I think I found them too (I'm less sure about it). I found the font that is used on the Menu and Pause screens, I think it goes from 04:8000 up to 04:8C93, 3220 bytes. These can actually be viewed on the a SNES tile editor as they are uncompressed and are 2BPP. I think the rest of the graphics (each layer for every type of level, logo/pixel art screens) are below, based on the extracted graphics folder. I think these are compressed the same way as the sprites, though I can sort of recognize some graphics on 2BPP. I'm trying to find up to where these type of graphics end, but I am mostly sure they end at 0E:F94E, as there is empty space from there.

Not all the sprites and graphics were used; some were changed/added for the American release, others are unused, and others were dummied out so they are empty.

Here are the resource tables: https://www.princed.org/w/index.php?title=SNES_format#The_resource_tables

Marcelo_20XX

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2019, 05:54:04 pm »
I'm currently developing a snes tool that has a snes painting system in it and it’s going to include algorithms to compress and decompress graphics for various games.

Please make it a reality, the one thing SNES modding is lacking right now is a tool that decompress and re-compress graphics. There is a bunch of games that I would like to remove their excessive HUD elements but alas I cant because the compression routine is different almost for each game on the SNES library...

slidelljohn

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2019, 05:16:32 am »

@Shauing
That's good that they are all in a table file. I'll create a spinbox that scrolls through the
different sets of graphics. I have been playing around with the painting system and here is
what I have so far: http://www.mediafire.com/file/wylgafun9rhyqut/SNES_Paint.zip/file

Keep in mind this test painting system is nowhere near complete.

In order to test out the painting system you need to load a 7th saga snes rom with the open pal
button and then open the wilmebattlesprites.bin with the open gfx button. The save gfx button
saves your edited gfx to snes_4bpp.bin. The zoom is the only spinbox that works.

Can anyone confirm if the colors and the color values are accurate? I think they are but I'm not
%100 sure.

After I make a few more modifications to the painting system I'll get it to start decompressing
and compressing the persia graphics.

@Marcelo_20XX
It will become a reality and it will be open source so multiple different people can work on
adding new algorithms and features. The algorithms for the compression really isn't that hard to
write the main thing is debugging the code and figuring out the compression format. Figuring out
the compression formats isn't that hard ether but it is time consuming. If we can get some people
to figure out and document the different compression formats and other people to write the c++
algorithms then the compression library could grow rather quickly.

Marcelo_20XX

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2019, 10:56:21 am »
Up until now I was mainly using these pages as references for decompressing graphics data for some games:
https://github.com/devinacker/exhal     HAL Laboratories graphics format
https://github.com/ProtonNoir/SNES-decompression-tools  a few formats for some SNES games

and if all else failed, I was bruteforcing my way with Lunar Compress's sniff tool:
https://fusoya.eludevisibility.org/lc/index.html

Don't know if all those links help you in any aspect

Shauing

• View Profile
    • YouTube Channel:
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2019, 03:48:56 pm »
@Shauing
That's good that they are all in a table file. I'll create a spinbox that scrolls through the
different sets of graphics. I have been playing around with the painting system and here is
what I have so far: http://www.mediafire.com/file/wylgafun9rhyqut/SNES_Paint.zip/file

Keep in mind this test painting system is nowhere near complete.

[...]

After I make a few more modifications to the painting system I'll get it to start decompressing
and compressing the persia graphics.

Incredible, pretty intuitive despite being a test only. Sprite edits can be saved to SNES_4BPP.bin, though no palette edits, and there are no changes in-game (probably both were not implemented here). Hopefully there'll be things like undo and a visible square/pixel brush to see exactly where we are editing. Another suggestion could be a Paint.NET like-tool called Recolor, where it can replace regions of one color with another. But that's all up to you.

I just can't wait to see it finished and working. I'll try to stay calm.

slidelljohn

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2019, 07:13:55 pm »
@Marcelo_20XX
I have seen the 1st and 3rd one before but not the 2nd one. The 2nd
one has a lot of games for it.

@Shauing
The code I'm using for the painting system is something I had for awhile
now and I was just slowly working on it. I original used it for 7th saga
but I never finished it because I wasn't happy with how I had to program
the code to paint in the snes format. Now I have It programed a lot better.
I have the persia graphics decompressing and most of them look correct. I'll
try to have gfx and palette edits working sometime this weekend. After I
get those working Ill give you the source code for it. Thats probably as
far as Im going to go with persia. My gfx editor will still be slowly worked
on but Im not sure when Ill have it posted on my projects page because I still
want to make other changes to the painting system. Im probably going to move
the whole toolbar from the top of the screen to the left side of the screen.
Still got lots of things to test out for it.

Shauing

• View Profile
    • YouTube Channel:
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2019, 09:58:29 pm »
@Shauing
The code I'm using for the painting system is something I had for awhile
now and I was just slowly working on it. I original used it for 7th saga
but I never finished it because I wasn't happy with how I had to program
the code to paint in the snes format. Now I have It programed a lot better.
I have the persia graphics decompressing and most of them look correct. I'll
try to have gfx and palette edits working sometime this weekend. After I
get those working Ill give you the source code for it. Thats probably as
far as Im going to go with persia. My gfx editor will still be slowly worked
on but Im not sure when Ill have it posted on my projects page because I still
want to make other changes to the painting system. Im probably going to move
the whole toolbar from the top of the screen to the left side of the screen.
Still got lots of things to test out for it.
So the software as you will leave it would only be able to modify character sprites (i.e. Prince, Princess) and save them to the rom?
Hopefully with the source code we can also add editing for the background/foreground sprites, title screen, pixel art, etc.

Again, can't wait.

slidelljohn

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2019, 01:05:16 am »
I’ll make it edit all graphics and palettes just need to find the rest of the gfx pointers. If you need help finding the pointers I can show you how to find them. With the source code you can add anything you want to it. I’m using QT to program the c++ code. If you ever want to learn how to program using QT let me know and I’ll help you out.

Shauing

• View Profile
    • YouTube Channel:
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2019, 03:45:28 am »
I’ll make it edit all graphics and palettes just need to find the rest of the gfx pointers.
Awesome.

If you need help finding the pointers I can show you how to find them. With the source code you can add anything you want to it. I’m using QT to program the c++ code.
If you ever want to learn how to program using QT let me know and I’ll help you out.
Sure, in both cases. I practically have no experience in programming/coding, so I will be happy to learn.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2019, 02:03:08 pm by Shauing »