News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: A Reliability Issue  (Read 610 times)

Arima

• View Profile
A Reliability Issue
« on: June 03, 2019, 05:47:13 am »
Can anyone help out by looking into this?
I think it might be a serious problem.
I wanted to try out that SMB2 Hack by MaxT which is right here:
https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3726/

But when I tried to extract the IPS file, I got a fatal error that resulted in the IPS patch becoming worthless (0kb).

mz

• Whore
    • View Profile
Re: A Reliability Issue
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2019, 06:18:22 am »
http://www.romhacking.net/faq/?page=faq#question3

EDIT: Whoops, horrible reading comprehension from me. I thought you were trying to extract *from* the IPS file. :D Well, just follow the other users' advice, I guess! I've never used 7-Zip...
« Last Edit: June 03, 2019, 08:33:05 pm by mz »
There has to be a better life.

Googie

• eeee!
    • View Profile
    • My work in progress ROM Hacking site
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2019, 08:07:01 am »
I didn't get that message when I opened up the file, you might have to uninstall and reinstall 7zip again just to be on the safe side. But I did upload the ips file for you here.

Lemme know if it works out for you. :)

#

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2019, 04:27:27 pm »
Try updating your 7-Zip to the latest version. ;)

Isao Kronos

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2019, 07:47:39 pm »
Try updating your 7-Zip to the latest version. ;)

might not be able to if they're on Windows XP which is what appears to be the case

TheCactusNeedless

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2019, 12:11:43 am »
might not be able to if they're on Windows XP which is what appears to be the case

If that's the case,  use a online decompression site like http://online.b1.org/online .

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2019, 12:40:02 am »

In which case they should update their OS to the latest version. :) Seriously, are people still on XP? Regardless, I always use Zip for my patches due to its ubiquity: there's really no point in using 7zip on a file that's under 50kb.

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2019, 12:54:59 am »
Gee. It never occurred to me that something as unspecialized as an archiver would somehow require features exclusive to Windows 7 and older.  Maybe it still works under XP even if that isn't stated officially?

Otherwise the command line version still surely works.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2019, 12:59:23 am »
In which case they should update their OS to the latest version. :) Seriously, are people still on XP?
I don't know if it's appropriate to judge. That can cost money, not just on the new OS discs but chances are if you're still running a PC with XP on it, it's probably something pretty old and, would need hardware upgrades. Even if say Windows 10 allows it, it's probably going to run like shit. Because let's be honest, you give devs 100x better hardware and they'll probably write 10x sloppier, bloated code. :P (well MS is known for adding for features to assume its users are bigger idiots who need to be protected from themselves with each update, with probably resource-eating features. :( )
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2019, 04:37:03 am »
I don't know if it's appropriate to judge. That can cost money

There are free OSes. And to be honest, you CAN use Windows 10 for free if you don't mind the watermark and reduced features. Of course, as you say, if they're running XP then it's probably on older hardware, but even then, as I said, Linux is an option. I know it's not to everyone's tastes, but some distros give you that full Windows experience without any confusing stuff to figure out.

Of course, my point remains that this patch shouldn't be using 7zip at all, since every system in the universe can open regular Zip files, and the patch is 46KB.

Arima

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2019, 04:44:57 am »
I didn't get that message when I opened up the file, you might have to uninstall and reinstall 7zip again just to be on the safe side. But I did upload the ips file for you here.

Lemme know if it works out for you. :)

Thanks a lot! :thumbsup:

Of course, my point remains that this patch shouldn't be using 7zip at all, since every system in the universe can open regular Zip files, and the patch is 46KB.

I completely agree with you 100% on this.
What's so special about the 7-Zip and RAR archive formats that some people would prefer to use them over the ordinary yet universal ZIP format?
It just needlessly complicates the sharing and extraction of patches through the use of different standards!

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2019, 09:13:06 am »
I completely agree with you 100% on this.
What's so special about the 7-Zip and RAR archive formats that some people would prefer to use them over the ordinary yet universal ZIP format?
It just needlessly complicates the sharing and extraction of patches through the use of different standards!

Zip achieves far worse ratios than rar and 7zip, 7zip in particular also has the ability to scan across files in an archive and use that in its compression database (7zip three of the same ROM and it is as though one ROM was compressed, compared to zip which goes filewise). 7zip has saved me many a time when I have had to email a variety of things to people.

7zip is also free and the first thing a lot of people replace the inbuilt awful Windows compression options with (said compression options traditionally have not handled rar or 7zip either). Those that don't do 7zip will probably go for winrar ( https://knowyourmeme.com/photos/426861-winrar ) as it was around before and in some ways won the compression format wars of the 90s and early 2000s. Because I am a bastard I am also duty bound to mention winace in all this.

For most purposes as far as patch making goes then I would agree a zip file containing the patch(es), release notes, possibly a program if you are going that way and the usual other bits and pieces will probably do. Most newer formats like xdelta will have their own compression options inbuilt.