News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Harmony of Dissonance function code  (Read 2132 times)

caminopreacher

• "What is a man?"
    • View Profile
Harmony of Dissonance function code
« on: April 06, 2019, 02:31:01 pm »
Hello all.
Does anyone know if it is possible to switch the function code of Juste and Maxim in castlevania harmony of dissonance to make Maxim the main character with a story? This is doable in aria of sorrow with Soma and Julius, but wasn't sure because Harmony seems to be coded differently.

FAST6191

• View Profile
Re: Harmony of Dissonance function code
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2019, 08:07:39 pm »
I tend not to see that many people playing with the GBA Castlevania games enough to know this offhand. While I have played the games at this point I can't really remember much about them so I am going with the basic thought process.

As a general rule.
Is there a bonus mode/new game+ featuring them? Is there a section of the game where they have theoretically complete control (not just a walking only section, or given it was 2002 maybe a stealth section)?

If there are such things then chances are the sprite has all the relevant animations for all the weapons (as opposed to a NPC that might just walk and never use a weapon).

If no then you likely get to create all the "missing" animations. Just looked at a sprite sheet and if so then... while not the worst it is still going to be a fair bit of work.

Anyway if yes there is a fully fledged mode then you can approach it how you will. Obvious first step would be see if there is a character selected value somewhere in the game. These things are easier to find when there is a simple transform button or in game item but not impossible without it. Even if it is a bonus mode the dev might well have just got lazy (very possible with the portable castlevanias if my experiences and those of others are anything to go by) and coded something that is effectively a character swap. It could be anywhere or with anything in RAM.

Lazy option is overwrite or repoint the sprites, and presumably change the text in the script where necessary. This assumes characters with the same abilities as well as obviously just changing graphics will not do a lot for abilities.

caminopreacher

• "What is a man?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2019, 08:15:14 pm »
I tend not to see that many people playing with the GBA Castlevania games enough to know this offhand. While I have played the games at this point I can't really remember much about them so I am going with the basic thought process.

As a general rule.
Is there a bonus mode/new game+ featuring them? Is there a section of the game where they have theoretically complete control (not just a walking only section, or given it was 2002 maybe a stealth section)?

If there are such things then chances are the sprite has all the relevant animations for all the weapons (as opposed to a NPC that might just walk and never use a weapon).

If no then you likely get to create all the "missing" animations. Just looked at a sprite sheet and if so then... while not the worst it is still going to be a fair bit of work.

Anyway if yes there is a fully fledged mode then you can approach it how you will. Obvious first step would be see if there is a character selected value somewhere in the game. These things are easier to find when there is a simple transform button or in game item but not impossible without it. Even if it is a bonus mode the dev might well have just got lazy (very possible with the portable castlevanias if my experiences and those of others are anything to go by) and coded something that is effectively a character swap. It could be anywhere or with anything in RAM.

Lazy option is overwrite or repoint the sprites, and presumably change the text in the script where necessary. This assumes characters with the same abilities as well as obviously just changing graphics will not do a lot for abilities.

Theoretically, it should be doable since they are both fully playable characters.

tvtoon

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2019, 12:28:00 pm »
If it is simple enough I don't know, but there is a discussion somewhere around the DSVania editor topic, plus lots of information about the game system in the project package.

caminopreacher

• "What is a man?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2019, 02:01:54 pm »
If it is simple enough I don't know, but there is a discussion somewhere around the DSVania editor topic, plus lots of information about the game system in the project package.

That tool has helped me so much. Lol. Hopefully someone will know something! :beer: