News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: How can i change a music file in a PSX game?  (Read 532 times)

lord_drgical

• View Profile
How can i change a music file in a PSX game?
« on: April 03, 2019, 01:14:25 am »
Im trying to change some music files for Yugio forbidden memories on PSX  ;D

Im not sure how to get into a rom's files , and how to extract or convert a wav to the right type.
anyone to point me to the right direction for doing this?

FAST6191

• View Profile
Re: How can i change a music file in a PSX game?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2019, 11:26:28 am »
Same way you change anything else. Figure out how it stores it, how to encode new stuff if you need that (some edit the files as is for certain things) and carry on from there.

The PS1, being a CD based console, quite often has extra tracks in addition to the data one which are plain old CD tracks and can be edited accordingly. Other times it will be a different format, here are some known ones https://wiki.multimedia.cx/index.php/Category:Game_Formats and http://wiki.xentax.com/index.php/Game_File_Format_Central .

While not impossible someone has taken a look at this game before (yugioh is kind of popular and some people like to poke at it but not at the same level as some of the other things we see, PS1 games would possibly also be before it got popular in the west) I would not put money on it.

tvtoon

• View Profile
Re: How can i change a music file in a PSX game?
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2019, 02:48:37 pm »
This games uses VAB (sequenced or the PlayStation MIDI) format for music.

It is not a hard mod to go deep in this game: the containers are RAW data packed with each relative pointer addressed. What you need to know is inside the PsyQ (sonyformat if I am not mistaken) and at the PSF rip done for this game, look into joshw.info forums.