News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: snes palette convertor  (Read 445 times)

Photonic

• View Profile
snes palette convertor
« on: March 19, 2019, 06:06:50 pm »
I wrote a program that reads the palette from a zsnes save state and converts it to plain text gimp palette .gpl format.

Is there a better format I should maybe use?

Is this a useful utility for other ROM hackers?

edit:
It's command line with options for getting 4,8 or 16 color palette sets, or ripping the entire thing.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 06:15:08 pm by Photonic »

FAST6191

• View Profile
Re: snes palette convertor
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2019, 06:53:40 pm »
Such toys are always welcome. Yes they are useful -- makes doing big boy editing far nicer if you don't have to do abstract palettes or figure out how to crowbar it out of things, or hope that your old school tile editor has had all the relevant incantations for that day to keep working for it.

Many older tools, tile editors and such will use the windows PAL palette format. I have no idea what became of it as Windows versions rolled on -- it started to get harder and harder to use such things.

The GBA uses the same palette format/colour scheme (see the various colour fixing projects for earlier SNES ports) so if you wanted to stick the offsets for no$gba, VBA/VBAM and MGBA you would gain some friends.

Photonic

• View Profile
Re: snes palette convertor
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2019, 08:43:37 pm »
That's a good idea, I think I'll try this, an optional third argument for a hex address that defaults to the zsnes location.

March 22, 2019, 08:01:51 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
This grew... I'm now converting/exporting 15bpp palettes & 4bpp planar composite images into 4bpp indexed color table bmp files. Readable by practically every image editing program ever made. Next I will write an importer from the same 4bpp bmp format to nintendos 4 bit planar composite data.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 08:01:51 pm by Photonic »