News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Translation Questions (Slayers Royal 2)  (Read 2246 times)

Mafoo343

• View Profile
Translation Questions (Slayers Royal 2)
« on: March 12, 2019, 07:26:56 pm »
Greetings, I'm a rookie translator that's currently working on a translation guide for Slayers Royal 2, which once completed, I hope to make into a romhack for either the PSX or Saturn versions.  At present I'm starting to get close to making the first public release of the translation guide which will span roughly from the start of the game to the end of the game's first dungeon (a vampire cave) which will cover the first hour and a half of gameplay.  Before I make the release public in a few weeks however I wanted to QC three sentences from two conversations that have glaring flaws in their translation.  Since the conversations are a little lengthy for this forum and I want to present as much context as possible I have posted them in a word document in my dropbox with the link being at the bottom of this post.  It's set up so that the original Japanese sentences are presented first with my current translation below it, with the highlighted sentences being the ones I'm checking for quality control.  For the first conversation I am relatively confident except when It comes to the following sentence:

"そりゃ旅費だけもらって、そのままにしとくってのもちょっとは考えたけど、魔道士協会と役人だけは敵にまわすとろくな事にならないし・・・・"

From what I can best figure Lina is saying something along the lines that "she's acknowledging that her travel expenses are compounding constantly and if that was her only consideration she wouldn't have really thought about going there to begin with" however, after that what she is saying becomes a bit confusing to understand. After she mentions the Sorcerer's Guild and the government officials the kanji for "enemy" appears which doesn't really make much sense.  Apparently the kanji can also mean danger or threat so it might be possible that she is saying that the Sorcerer's Guild and government officials there ran into some kind of problem and asked for her help with the matter but I'm not really sure.  I've included my two current best educated guesses for the translation in the attached word document.

Aside from that conversation, I ran into a little trouble translating a cutscene from the game that is all in spoken Japanese only.  I was able to figure out most of the conversation by slowing down the playback speed and transcribing the sentences to the best of my ability into hiragana but there are two lines that I'm not quite sure about.  I've included a link to the FMV on YouTube for reference.  I apologize if this post is a bit lengthy though as a noob I would greatly appreciate any help you could give me.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cidywfas2zae3u2/SR2%20Translation%20Help.docx?dl=0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RHuovHfQKc

• View Profile
Re: Translation Questions (Slayers Royal 2)
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2019, 07:47:32 am »
im in a hurry but what I can say right now is that 敵にまわす means to make someone your enemy (by doing actions they don't approve of etc.)

March 13, 2019, 07:20:32 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)

transcript of the video 

naga: ohohoho 見つけたわよLina Inverse!
bald guy: お?ん?
lina: ナ ナーガ?
naga: さあ、とっとと分け前をよこすのよ。さもないと!
lina: 分け前って何のことよ!?
naga: どうあっても分け前をよこさないつもりね。それなら……Freeze Arrow!
lina: なんなのよ、一体!
naga: 力尽くでも分け前をもらうわよ!
lina: 何がなんだか分かんないけど、相手になってあげるわ! 

(don't know about this series i just googled so don't ask me details about characters and stuff) 

as for the rest, it's lacking a lot of context to properly understand it, though it seems to me like they were tasked with doing something and thus were given the 旅費, since you say in your translation that they've been "accumulating" it, but i don't see any sign of them saying something like that in the original text.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 07:21:16 pm by 730 »
Discord: 730#8471

Mafoo343

• View Profile
Re: Translation Questions (Slayers Royal 2)
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2019, 07:03:42 pm »
Thank you for the help, that makes things a lot clearer especially for the FMV, I really appreciate it.  :angel: