News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Translations: Pokémon Diamond for the NES?!  (Read 1003 times)

RHDNBot

Translations: Pokémon Diamond for the NES?!
« on: March 12, 2019, 08:33:17 am »

Update By: SaveState

Yes, you read that right! Here is a brand-spanking-new (incomplete) translation of Kou Dai Guai Shou, a Chinese Pokémon Diamond bootleg game for the NES. SaveState is in charge of the project, and is keeping a good pace.

As of the time of this news, the translation of this game only goes up to Route 202, with many other things edited, such as some outdoor tiles and the battle system text.

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link

mikeprado30

• View Profile
Re: Translations: Pokémon Diamond for the NES?!
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2019, 11:17:10 pm »
Very nice!

Hopefully it will get fully translated soon.

Thanks to the people involved on this project :thumbsup:

SaveState

• I hack GBA, NES, and sometimes GBC
    • View Profile
    • SaveState's ROM Hacking Site
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2019, 09:07:30 am »
Yes! You're welcome! As of right now, it is only me. :) However, I do think it would be better if someone else would help with things. It's kinda hard trying to do this and school at the same time.  :(

dm0x

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2019, 01:00:04 pm »
This is very neat and interesting. Cant wait for it to finish so i can give it a proper playthrough.

torridgristle

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2019, 06:01:53 pm »
I found out why it wasn't running in Mesen even though the original ROM ran. The original ROM was in the compatibility database and what it did was:

System: NesNtsc
Mapper: 224
PRG ROM Size: 1024
CHR RAM Size: 8
Work RAM Size: 0
Save RAM Size: 8
Battery: 1
Mirroring: Horizontal

And, without setting it to NES 2.0, it will run in Mesen if you change the header to 224 (apparently many mapper 224 ROMs are incorrectly set to mapper 4) instead of displaying a gray screen at Prof Oak, but saving doesn't work.

However if you go ahead and change it to a NES 2.0 header then all the compatibility settings would be saved to the file and it works fine in Mesen with saving and presumably everything.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 07:25:05 pm by torridgristle »

SaveState

• I hack GBA, NES, and sometimes GBC
    • View Profile
    • SaveState's ROM Hacking Site
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2019, 07:26:04 am »
However if you go ahead and change it to a NES 2.0 header then all the compatibility settings would be saved to the file and it works fine in Mesen with saving and presumably everything.

WOW! Thank you so much for the info! I tried changing the mapper to number 224, and it worked in Mesen! However, it lost compatibility in FCEUX, because mapper 224 isn't supported by FCEUX.

I'm not vary familiar with how NES 2.0 headers work. Could you please tell me what specifics I should set the NES 2.0 header to? (Like the Work RAM, Save RAM, CHR RAM, and CHR Save RAM and stuff?) (Sorry, I probably sound like a noob right now)

Edit: Never mind. I figured it out ;) :P However, it still doesn't have support in FCEUX. Is there any remedy for that?

March 19, 2019, 10:03:09 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Also, if anyone could figure out how text pointers work, that would be super helpful  :laugh: Also, I'm having trouble fixing which music plays where, and help with that would be appreciated :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 10:05:59 am by SaveState »