News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Dealing with BIN files  (Read 540 times)

Everis

• View Profile
Dealing with BIN files
« on: March 11, 2019, 01:30:35 am »
Hey all, working on a translation hack for the Tokyo Mew Mew game on the PS1. I can't for the life of me find the script for the game, nor images, nor even the font (I have located the cutscenes and voice lines, which are ironically the two things I care least about.) I've read over the PSX documentation and I still don't get it, my BINs don't unpack nicely and I'm not sure how to resolve that. Is it perhaps compressed, and if so, where would I even start dealing with that?

One thing I saw was that there was no RAW header in the BIN files that reside within the main game file, meaning that could be the reason I'm missing a lot (this is slowly becoming a bigger and bigger hunch of mine.) If so, I'd like a little insight into changing that around so I can get in gear. Any other insights would be greatly appreciated, as I'd love to start translating, but this is a hurdle that I can't get around. Maybe I'm just dumb but I've been banging my head against the wall for a while now.

It's a visual novel/RPG hybrid so editing hex is right out (if it wasn't already from not being able to find the text data.) I need that text data! Also forgive me for my noobiness. Thanks in advance.

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
Re: Dealing with BIN files
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2019, 10:10:54 am »
This question is unclear.  There is no universal standard for "BIN" because there is no particular file format associated with "BIN".  It is often used for CD images (that is, with a corresponding CUE file); is that what you mean when you say your "BINs don't unpack nicely"?

What documentation are you looking at specifically and what are you using to "unpack"?
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

Everis

• View Profile
Re: Dealing with BIN files
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2019, 01:36:30 pm »
So, I did a bit of investigating, and it looks like the file has corrupt sectors preventing data access. CDMage can only fix so many of them, but when I did fix the ones I could, it opened access to some more of the disk's files, which is a good thing.

Is there any other way to repair these "corrupt sectors?" If not, I'll have to get a physical version of the game instead of this download I'm working with. I don't want to have to spend money if I don't have to, so advice on how to repair the sectors would be appreciated.

You were right about the question being unclear, looking back at it. Sorry for that. I can open the main disk image with no issues, but the smaller BINs inside of it won't play nice. I don't think they're a traditional disk format that I can load up with something like CDMage, so I'm not sure how to get to the data inside. Again though, maybe it's just messed up from corruption. It's weird because the game runs fine.

March 11, 2019, 09:46:07 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Update: I believe I have a bad file. Going to try ripping from the physical CD. Thanks for your response @Jorpho.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 09:46:07 pm by Everis »