News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: NBA Jam 2K20 - Tournament Edition [Beta and Final Released!]  (Read 6427 times)

eskayelle

• View Profile
Re: NBA Jam 2K20 - Tournament Edition [Beta and Final Released!]
« Reply #40 on: July 18, 2019, 04:43:51 pm »
The Excel provides where the header is (right before the clip) and its length. 

Dzumeister

• Zaubermancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 18, 2019, 04:49:17 pm »
Have you thought about adding 2K20 to the court logo and on the attract mode logo?

free sluffy

eskayelle

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 18, 2019, 04:54:27 pm »
Honestly, no.  The game is final at this point.  Short of fixing some major gameplay issue, I don't really plan to put any more time into it.

My hope that others will pick up the baton and make some more great hacks, hence the big ol' Excel!

Dzumeister

• Zaubermancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 18, 2019, 05:55:00 pm »
Honestly, no.  The game is final at this point.  Short of fixing some major gameplay issue, I don't really plan to put any more time into it.

My hope that others will pick up the baton and make some more great hacks, hence the big ol' Excel!

Adding the headers for the soundclips is trickier than I thought  ::) Definitely adding to the appreciation I have for this hack  :thumbsup:
free sluffy

eskayelle

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 18, 2019, 07:32:38 pm »
Ha!  You're telling me!   ;)

July 19, 2019, 07:41:48 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
FYI, the hex for "Heating up!" ("Toasty!") and "Yes!" ("WOO!") are right next to each other, so you shoild just be able to copy all the hex from the original ROM, range (PC address) $1C5BE6 to $1C75AA and just overwrite the same block in 2K20.

Code: [Select]
1C5BE6 = 1B
1C5C01 = 0D26 = _024.brr ; "Heating up!"
1C6927 = 1B
1C6942 = 0C69 = _025.brr ; "Yes!"
1C75AB = 1B

« Last Edit: July 19, 2019, 07:41:48 am by eskayelle »

Dzumeister

• Zaubermancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 19, 2019, 03:49:29 pm »
Ha!  You're telling me!   ;)

July 19, 2019, 07:41:48 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
FYI, the hex for "Heating up!" ("Toasty!") and "Yes!" ("WOO!") are right next to each other, so you shoild just be able to copy all the hex from the original ROM, range (PC address) $1C5BE6 to $1C75AA and just overwrite the same block in 2K20.

Code: [Select]
1C5BE6 = 1B
1C5C01 = 0D26 = _024.brr ; "Heating up!"
1C6927 = 1B
1C6942 = 0C69 = _025.brr ; "Yes!"
1C75AB = 1B

Thanks, but I'm still getting the same issue with the silence and a small click  :-\

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, but I'm guessing you have way more experience than I do. Here's a link to an IPS Patch of what I ended up with.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2019, 03:57:44 pm by Dzumeister »
free sluffy

eskayelle

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 19, 2019, 06:46:45 pm »
I commented out 3 procedures in my .bat file (the "Toasty!" and "WOO!" ASM ones) and created a patch for comparison to yours.  I haven't run extensive testing on my patch, but I did run one Practice session and heard "Yes!" and "Heating up!" play.

My patch only impacts bytes from $1C5C0B to $1C57A9, which is inside the range I quoted above (some bytes didn't need to be changed, so the range won't match 100%).  Your patch seems to also make changes to $2B70AC through $2B768F.  I didn't check to see what that is in the ROM.  Shouldn't be a change there for purposes of this exercise.

Looks like a possible bad overwrite.  Try this one, but note again it's not tested anywhere near to the level I've done with the final game.  In other words, use at your own risk.

maximo806

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 19, 2019, 09:47:51 pm »
Since you guys are probably done with this, do you think you guys can work on Tecmo Super Bowl III - Final Edition?

Dzumeister

• Zaubermancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 19, 2019, 10:06:09 pm »
I commented out 3 procedures in my .bat file (the "Toasty!" and "WOO!" ASM ones) and created a patch for comparison to yours.  I haven't run extensive testing on my patch, but I did run one Practice session and heard "Yes!" and "Heating up!" play.

My patch only impacts bytes from $1C5C0B to $1C57A9, which is inside the range I quoted above (some bytes didn't need to be changed, so the range won't match 100%).  Your patch seems to also make changes to $2B70AC through $2B768F.  I didn't check to see what that is in the ROM.  Shouldn't be a change there for purposes of this exercise.

Looks like a possible bad overwrite.  Try this one, but note again it's not tested anywhere near to the level I've done with the final game.  In other words, use at your own risk.

So far it works! Thank you so much for going out of your way to help me out. I'm not sure how those changes even got there to be honest.

On another note: GET THAT S*** OUTTA HERE plays a little too fast. You can't really tell what the announcer is saying. NO F***ING WAY has a slight cutoff at the end, but is much more audible.

July 19, 2019, 10:07:43 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Since you guys are probably done with this, do you think you guys can work on Tecmo Super Bowl III - Final Edition?

Usually hacks like that can be found on the Tecmo Bowl forums:thumbsup:
« Last Edit: July 19, 2019, 11:31:49 pm by Dzumeister »
free sluffy

maximo806

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 19, 2019, 10:38:04 pm »
So far it works! Thank you so much for going out of your way to help me out. I'm not sure how those changes even got there to be honest.

July 19, 2019, 10:07:43 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Usually hacks like that can be found on the Tecmo Bowl forums:thumbsup:
where can I find it?

pleasejust

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 19, 2019, 11:25:05 pm »
The hack is awesome. I'm wondering if something like this could conceivably be done to the playstation version of T.E. Isn't that supposed to be the best port? Or better yet, the second arcade revision, the one with the Mortal Kombat secret characters where you an actually set people on fire with scorpion.

Dzumeister

• Zaubermancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 19, 2019, 11:32:33 pm »
where can I find it?

Tecmo Bowl 2018 is found in the link I posted if you scroll down.  ;)
free sluffy

maximo806

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 20, 2019, 12:17:53 am »
Tecmo Bowl 2018 is found in the link I posted if you scroll down.  ;)

I see the link to it thanks

https://www.nba-live.com/

there's also a baseball one if you're interested ---> https://tecmobowl.org/

eskayelle

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 20, 2019, 05:29:41 pm »
Great conversation!  :thumbsup:

On another note: GET THAT S*** OUTTA HERE plays a little too fast. You can't really tell what the announcer is saying. NO F***ING WAY has a slight cutoff at the end, but is much more audible.

Yup.  That's a necessary compromise based on my unresolved issues with the APU.  I believe the full sound clips will load into the APU, but it'll only play just over a second of data.  My tests in the Help Wanted thread (https://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=27541.0) were a bust, and there's some information also provided on the "Unfinished Business" tab of the big ol' Excel, so hopefully another person will figure it out for a future hack someday.

The hack is awesome. I'm wondering if something like this could conceivably be done to the playstation version of T.E. Isn't that supposed to be the best port? Or better yet, the second arcade revision, the one with the Mortal Kombat secret characters where you an actually set people on fire with scorpion.

Thank you, thank you!  There's a thread on the KLOV site, where a romhacker may have an arcade version in his queue/backlog: https://forums.arcade-museum.com/showthread.php?t=405600.  I check there every now and then, but he's a big MK guy and working on a major MK II project (I think), so it could be some time before something happens.

Usually hacks like [Tecmo Super Bowl III - Final Edition] can be found on the Tecmo Bowl forums.  :thumbsup:

I actually found that site quite some time back.  It was, in part, the inspiration for me to develop 2K20 TE when I was playing around with 2K17 as a proof of concept.  Beyond NFL Blitz, football's not my thing, so I'd leave those hacks to the experts on that site.  They do have a fair amount of instructions on hacking, too, from what I recall.

Keep those downloads coming!  And thanks to everyone who's checked out the game so far!!!   :beer: BOOMSHAKALAKA!
« Last Edit: July 20, 2019, 08:07:57 pm by eskayelle »

Dzumeister

• Zaubermancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 21, 2019, 12:17:57 am »
Sports Illustrated recently posted their list of 2019 NBA Jam duos. I'm guessing they haven't heard of 2K20 TE  :happy:

What are your thoughts?  :P I agree with them that Davis/James is #1, especially since I've been playing with them for 6 straight games and Davis is undefeated when it comes to blocking, and James is KING:laugh:

Facing off against James/Davis in the campaign was tough, btw, but they made the fatal mistake of not putting the King in during the 4th. Poor Kuzma!  ;D
« Last Edit: July 21, 2019, 03:33:28 am by Dzumeister »
free sluffy

eskayelle

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 21, 2019, 10:08:24 am »
I saw that article a couple days ago, too; would've been great if they had discovered the hack.

I read it more as a double-check to see how I did on player selections.  Looks like I only had two players on their list not present in the game.  Not bad, I'd say!

The Lakers tended to be my go-to in the beta.  Houston is awesome, especially now with Westbrook.  Sometimes I Konami Code it so I can expand rosters and do a Pippen/Jordan combo with the Bulls.

(Selfishly, I tend to play as myself and use Griffin and the Pistons... and just rain down hell on the other teams.)

If you want some hilariously (and intentionally) OP guys, try out Bo Jackson or the Terminator.  In the original Double Z Mod, I had something like a 380 point game with Arnie.  He got his "I'll be back" moment with 2K20.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2019, 04:53:27 pm by eskayelle »

Dzumeister

• Zaubermancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 22, 2019, 10:25:18 pm »
(Selfishly, I tend to play as myself and use Griffin and the Pistons... and just rain down hell on the other teams.)

:o

are YOU the sixth man?!?!
free sluffy

eskayelle

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 22, 2019, 10:48:26 pm »
Nope, I am not.   >:D

Dzumeister

• Zaubermancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 23, 2019, 12:14:56 am »
YOU'RE GETTING THAT PRESS DUDE

Hey, can we talk about how the sprite for Sabonis looks less like him and more like Drake or Anthony Davis IRL?

And on the other hand, Drake/Davis don't look much like their in-game counterparts  :P
« Last Edit: July 23, 2019, 11:07:13 pm by Dzumeister »
free sluffy

pleasejust

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 24, 2019, 11:42:17 pm »
this is b.s. Leonard is on clippers..... I know he got traded but f*ck....