News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: NBA Jam 2K20 - Tournament Edition [Beta and Final Released!]  (Read 6505 times)

eskayelle

• View Profile
Re: NBA Jam 2K20 - Tournament Edition
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2019, 06:58:15 pm »
(Download NBA Jam 2K20 TE Beta)

Hey, Dzumeister.

Nice artwork!!!  My "official" boxart's (label art, really) actually on page 1 of this thread, and the ROM will definitely work with the Canoe emulator/SNES Classic.  I have 2k17 label art in a document I mention in the next paragraph.  2k20 is a build on 2k17, and I saw on Reddit someone had been using 2k17 on a Classic.

Jersey colors aren't so much a ROM size limitation but a palette color limitation, though I did try to improve some of these best I could.  There's a document I have on this site (I plan to update it in a couple months) that takes you through how uniform colors can be changed.

Toronto did wear these red uniforms in the finals, so they're fairly legit.

I'm more or less set with banners, so I hadn't really thought about adding/replacing more.  Time willing, I may look into this (as a caveat, the banners are randomized, so there's no guarantee as to when they'd appear in game), as it's a neat idea.  See what you think via that beta here and in the messages on page 1.  Barring something significant that prevents the game from being playable, my focus the next few weeks is keeping up with roster changes, my cut-off being 7/15 or 7/31.

June 21, 2019, 08:47:20 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Test of a "We the North" Banner.  The pixel size available is 72x24, so there's not much room for text.

Not sure how I feel about it.  Thoughts?

(To put the text above each other, like the picture, would create too much blank space on the left and right sections of the banner and not any black spacing vertically.)

June 23, 2019, 05:43:57 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
NBA Jam TE 2K20 v1.95.68 update:

Floor shading revision for We The North banner.

Conley trade: Conley to Utah; Crowder/Korver to Memphis.  Also added Ricky Rubio to even out the roster (assuming he sticks with the team come July...)

« Last Edit: June 23, 2019, 05:45:10 pm by eskayelle »

Dzumeister

• Zaubermancer
    • View Profile
Re: NBA Jam 2K20 - Tournament Edition [Beta on page 2!]
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2019, 11:02:38 pm »
RIP Knicks. Looking forward to how crazy stacked the Nets is going to be in 2K20's roster!

free sluffy

eskayelle

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2019, 09:08:10 am »
I can tell you that the Nets definitely put a wrinkle in my roster update... I'm basically tearing apart the players I'd placed in the beta to slot in Durant, Irving, and Jordan.  I had hoped the Knicks would balance out a little better, but I'm working some magic there.  Ewing may make an appearance to round out the team.  Not sure yet.

That's a snazzy looking piece of boxart, if I do say so myself.  Couple minor nits:
1) The game's going to be rated Teen.  I had added (and bleeped) a couple phrases from NBA Jam XXX for kicks, so I figured I'd reset the rating.  You see all this in the beta (shameless link plug here).
2) My official name for the hack will be NBA Jam 2K20 - Tournament Edition.

Since most of the big signings are all but papered, my cut-off will be some time between July 15th and July 31st.  After that, I'll need a few weeks to run damage control on my rosters and do some quick tests to make sure I didn't break anything.  There's a good 15 new players I'm adding, which in turn means I need to replace 15, since I hit the limit on game assets.  Plus, there's a good 20+ roster changes to date.  I'm tracking everything in a spreadsheet for now to keep up.

Figuring by end of August latest I'll issue out the ROM.

Stay tuned for more updates!

Dzumeister

• Zaubermancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2019, 01:00:55 pm »

That's a snazzy looking piece of boxart, if I do say so myself.  Couple minor nits:
1) The game's going to be rated Teen.  I had added (and bleeped) a couple phrases from NBA Jam XXX for kicks, so I figured I'd reset the rating.  You see all this in the beta (shameless link plug here).
2) My official name for the hack will be NBA Jam 2K20 - Tournament Edition.

Easy fix!

I'm really excited for the new announcer bites from XXX! I had actually wanted those in 2K17. Are you planning on doing more cheats? A good one would be to enable uncensored announcer calls! In any case, I hope GRABS HIS JOHNSON and GET THAT S*** OUTTA HERE make it in.  :happy:

Since most of the big signings are all but papered, my cut-off will be some time between July 15th and July 31st.  After that, I'll need a few weeks to run damage control on my rosters and do some quick tests to make sure I didn't break anything.  There's a good 15 new players I'm adding, which in turn means I need to replace 15, since I hit the limit on game assets.  Plus, there's a good 20+ roster changes to date.  I'm tracking everything in a spreadsheet for now to keep up.

Figuring by end of August latest I'll issue out the ROM.

Stay tuned for more updates!

HYPE! I actually just finished beating the 27 teams in 2K17: OT (still need to go back and beat them on *HARD MODE* now), so I can't wait to see how this one turns out.  :thumbsup: I'll have to test the beta for you; there's a feature I've been wanting to get implemented for a while now: can you include an option to skip the long logo sequence in the beginning? Sometimes I just want to hit start to skip ACCLAIM and IGUANA and get to jamming. Making backboard breaking a bit more common would also be sick!

Congrats to the World Champion Toronto Raptors!

The NBA Jam 2K20 TE v1.95.63 update (in process) will put "We the North"-esque uniforms and a red/black court on the Expansions team.

Quick question:

I'm assuming the campaign will be similar to how 2K17 OT was, with playing the conference in ascending order of the finishing teams of the season. So when you get to the Raptors, how is that going to be handled in-game? Will they have the Others roster and logo, or will they get their own roster with the full Raptors logo and announcement? Because if it's Others, wouldn't it be a little awkward?
« Last Edit: July 02, 2019, 05:17:41 pm by Dzumeister »
free sluffy

eskayelle

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2019, 06:11:16 pm »
Hey, Dzumeister.  Thanks for the continued support!  And that boxart's lookin' great!

I'm really excited for the new announcer bites from XXX! I had actually wanted those in 2K17. Are you planning on doing more cheats? A good one would be to enable uncensored announcer calls! In any case, I hope GRABS HIS JOHNSON and GET THAT S*** OUTTA HERE make it in.  :happy:

Sound is a bit of a pain to try to work with in SNES ROMS, so while I was only able to replace (and not add more) sounds, and while I could not solve my issue of sounds longer than appx. 1 second not completely playing, I did take a couple sound bytes from the XXX ROM and slip them in the game. 

The game grabs a random set of 4 established sounds per quarter, so I was able to adjust certain pointers within those sets to my replacement sounds.  I picked from XXX the ones that I felt were not as over the top and more likely to be shouted out by us as players ourselves when jamming.  So I steered clear of some of the more vulgar ones and ones that didn't seem to really fit the on-screen action.  I think I accomplished something without taking away from the gameplay itself.  It's reflected in the beta.

You'll soon be able to see the sets of clips in this document.  I plan to update it with the rest of my understanding obtained later this summer.

An even better example of replacement sound clips can be found in my Double Z Mod.  I went full 90s for that one!

To create a cheat to turn on and off the bleeps would require two sets of sounds, bleeped and unbleeped, which would require eliminating more in-game sounds to select them, plus writing ASM to acknowledge a set of button presses at a screen and then more ASM to determine what it does.  I do have some spare ASM set up for button presses at the title screen, but the ASM for then forcing the unbleeped set of sounds to play is beyond my knowledge, and it would conflict with the random selection of sounds the game does.

there's a feature I've been wanting to get implemented for a while now: can you include an option to skip the long logo sequence in the beginning? Sometimes I just want to hit start to skip ACCLAIM and IGUANA and get to jamming. Making backboard breaking a bit more common would also be sick!

That'd require ASM written specifically at a certain screen (perhaps the legal screen, since there's code there for the old Stud Muffin secret player...) and then ASM that jumps straight to the title screen.  Given save states will solve this anyway, and given the ROM jumps straight to that title screen after the first "soft" reset, I didn't really plan to attempt this one.  It's doable, but I'd need to do a lot of research to get the right jumps and figure out how to connect the code to it.  I also made some special splash screens that I'm pretty proud of, so I'm going to take a pass on this guy.   >:D

Now... backboard breaking is a different animal. It does suck that they never put that feature in TE, when it was a nice touch in the original Jam.  That coding is light years beyond anything I'd be able to do.  Mattrizzle worked on it in his Old School Edition demo, and I seem to remember him noting that code being buggy.  I think you'd want to check that ROM out for backboard breaks.  It's also just an awesome hack!

I'm assuming the campaign will be similar to how 2K17 OT was, with playing the conference in ascending order of the finishing teams of the season. So when you get to the Raptors, how is that going to be handled in-game? Will they have the Others roster and logo, or will they get their own roster with the full Raptors logo and announcement?

The code is built to only give a player a campaign of 27 teams.  Because the Raptors are sitting on the special Expansions team, I kept it out of the campaign, since I'm not sure if the game will have issues if a special team is part of the campaign; plus, I can't split the Raptors out without eliminating another team (like the Suns, Knicks, or All-Stars team -- see page one of this thread for some discussions on that... or maybe it's just above...).  I had to compromise on some of the limitations of the game, given it's from 25+ years back, but I think it'll still prove a fun play.

Now... all of that would've resolved itself it the Bucks had gotten their stuff together and taken the championship...  ::)

So at this point, my focus is purely on those roster changes.  The base gameplay is done, two Konami codes written, all previous secret codes at Tonight's Matchup screen intact, sound clips done, secret players done, banners done...  I'm about 600 hours in between all the hacks in my trilogy, so it's time to wrap this guy up... and keeping up with these free agency signings and trades outside of working hours is proving to be a real time grabber.

My hope is later someone perhaps considers the released patch as a base to make even more improvements (and roster updates), like the pretty sweet ones you've got in this thread!

July 03, 2019, 03:08:22 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Progress (NBA Jam 2K20 TE v1.95.70.8 )...

« Last Edit: July 03, 2019, 03:08:22 pm by eskayelle »

Dzumeister

• Zaubermancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2019, 01:58:09 am »
Does this mean that the last team we'll play will be the Warriors, since the Raptors are out? Or maybe the All-Stars? If you clear all 27 teams like in 2K17, would that mean you'd lose the Expansion teams in your save file and they get replaced with the All-Stars again instead? That kind of sucks for this year's champs  ::)

On another note, I've been getting my butt kicked in the unlocked hard mode in 2K17. Any tips on how to deal with these souped up computer players?
free sluffy

eskayelle

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2019, 04:39:24 am »
Last team in the campaign would indeed be the Warriors, so you get to do to them what the Raptors did.

Games like this tend to be more fun as a party game, so I'm less inclined to worry about the campaign mode.  I did solve for the whole "expansion teams go away" in both 2K17 OT and 2K20 TE (also the original Double Z Mod).

At the title screen, press Start for the menu.  Code for expanded rosters but keeping expansion teams is B, A, B, A, Up, Down, B, A, Left, Right.  Then select your option on the menu and press Start.

For expanded rosters and All-Stars, it's Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A as the code.

GameFAQs had some decent strategy guides back in the day for Jam TE.  That may help with those souped up players.  Also, if they can soup up, why can't you?  :angel: All the codes at the Tonight's Matchup screen are intact; I made it a point not to play with those.

If you don't use the expansion team or All-Stars, I think you can also change out your team at the end of any quarter by holding B and Down (There's a site out there that notes this but has the buttons wrong.  If it's not Down, it's Up.  I also put all the codes in the 2K17 OT readme.  Definitely take a look there.)

Really, my strategy has always been to push the living shit out of the CPU players and rack up their injury counts.  That's why I took that baby up to 50.  When you get the timing down, it's a tad tedious, but it does work.

BTW, if you haven't tried my original Double Z Mod, I highly recommend it.  That one's my pride and joy, and I put a ton of hours into it to learn about the game and eventually use that knowledge for 2K20 TE.  It could definitely use some love in terms of downloads... maybe another review or two.

Dzumeister

• Zaubermancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2019, 02:57:44 am »
Last team in the campaign would indeed be the Warriors, so you get to do to them what the Raptors did.
Oof, that's exciting!

Really, my strategy has always been to push the living shit out of the CPU players and rack up their injury counts.  That's why I took that baby up to 50.  When you get the timing down, it's a tad tedious, but it does work.
I've just been finding that in hard mode, pushing never ends up with the opposing player dropping the ball or falling, so it's become much harder since they can still shove you down. Oh well, guess it really shouldn't be easy, anyway  ::)
free sluffy

eskayelle

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2019, 09:39:08 am »
I think all the Raptors questions just resolved themselves, though not in the best way for Toronto:

(NBA Jam 2K20 TE version 1.95.71.2 update)

July 06, 2019, 10:59:18 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
...And here's an update for the Lakers team (v1.95.71.3)!

July 07, 2019, 12:42:53 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Oh, Dzumeister... real quick... I forgot I had this in my Excel hacking document...

can you include an option to skip the long logo sequence in the beginning? Sometimes I just want to hit start to skip ACCLAIM and IGUANA and get to jamming.

2 options:
1) Go into the hex (or write an assembly instruction) and change the byte at $00002C to AF.
2) Use Game Genie code CE64-47DD.

This will skip the Acclaim and Iguana screens entirely (but you still have to enjoy my special intro screens.   >:D )
« Last Edit: July 07, 2019, 12:43:55 pm by eskayelle »

Dzumeister

• Zaubermancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2019, 04:07:39 pm »
(but you still have to enjoy my special intro screens.   >:D )

I'm okay with that  ::)

Can't wait to playtest the official release!
free sluffy

eskayelle

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2019, 09:49:42 pm »
NBA Jam 2K20 TE v1.95.74 update:

With Noah Vonleh signing with the Wolves, I've finally gotten rid of my last Knicks placeholder.  Out goes Vonleh, in comes Kevin Knox.

Meanwhile, I also found the table of secret players that are placed on the opposing team after you beat the game in campaign mode.  So I've doubled the list of possible players and swapped in some more secret players and all stars.

Closing in on a cut-off date for rosters!  I'm holding for Westbrook, really, but if he doesn't get traded to the Heat soon, we'll just keep him in OKC and release.

July 16, 2019, 09:21:23 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
The ROM is released!

http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/4612/
« Last Edit: July 16, 2019, 09:21:24 am by eskayelle »

Dzumeister

• Zaubermancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2019, 03:55:54 pm »
NBA Jam 2K20 TE v1.95.74 update:

With Noah Vonleh signing with the Wolves, I've finally gotten rid of my last Knicks placeholder.  Out goes Vonleh, in comes Kevin Knox.

Meanwhile, I also found the table of secret players that are placed on the opposing team after you beat the game in campaign mode.  So I've doubled the list of possible players and swapped in some more secret players and all stars.

Closing in on a cut-off date for rosters!  I'm holding for Westbrook, really, but if he doesn't get traded to the Heat soon, we'll just keep him in OKC and release.

July 16, 2019, 09:21:23 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
The ROM is released!

http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/4612/

Congrats on release! Can't wait to try this out.

Did you end up placing Westbrook on the Rockets? yes you did lol

Ended up getting a tiny bit of playtime in. I like the addition of the TOASTY commentary, but it would make more sense to be an available line after the player is On Fire. Also, the WHOO line is a bit annoying since it's not that interesting, and it happens way too often--pretty much every time you score. The ALL RIGHT also sounds like OH F*** and is a bit underwhelming, too.

I definitely miss RAZZLE DAZZLE and BOOMSHAKALAKA. Any way for them to make a comeback?  :woot!:
« Last Edit: July 16, 2019, 06:29:14 pm by Dzumeister »
free sluffy

eskayelle

• View Profile
Re: NBA Jam 2K20 - Tournament Edition [Beta (page 2) and Final Released!]
« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2019, 10:34:46 pm »
Hey, Dzumeister.  Ric Flair's "WOOOOOO!" replaces "Yes!" from the original game, hence the level of repetition.  I'm a big rasslin' fan, so I picked something a bit more fun.

Please play a bit more.   :thumbsup:  I never took "Razzle dazzle" out, and I made it a point to put "BOOMSHAKALAKA!" back in (it was missing from the original TE ROM).  Sounds load as a set of 4 per quarter, so they'll tend to differ each Q.  There's quite a few sets, but you'll see those hit as you play a few more games.

I updated my Hacking NBA Jam TE guide in the Documents section, so you'll see there all the original sets.

"All right" is actually "Oh my!"  It's a throwback to the first NBA Jam.

Thanks for the continued support!   :beer:

P.S.  Since I'm talking about wrestling, figure I'd throw a shout-out to the folks at Wrestling Modders for their love/support for the original Double Z Mod.  That game was my first and favorite hack!
« Last Edit: July 16, 2019, 11:09:39 pm by eskayelle »

OrangeFrog

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2019, 11:26:27 pm »
I think I speak for everyone here, thank you so much, eskayelle, for all your hard work on this. I know for sure my brother and I will LOVE this. Its the only SNES game that we still play (and crack up laughing)!

eskayelle

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2019, 11:32:04 pm »
Totally appreciate the support, OrangeFrog!  If you guys wanted to add a review to the site, once you've done a playthrough, and continue to spread the word so more folks can find and play these Double Z mods, that'd be huge, too!

Dzumeister

• Zaubermancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2019, 12:19:42 am »
Hey, Dzumeister.  Ric Flair's "WOOOOOO!" replaces "Yes!" from the original game, hence the level of repetition.  I'm a big rasslin' fan, so I picked something a bit more fun.

Please play a bit more.   :thumbsup:  I never took "Razzle dazzle" out, and I made it a point to put "BOOMSHAKALAKA!" back in (it was missing from the original TE ROM).  Sounds load as a set of 4 per quarter, so they'll tend to differ each Q.  There's quite a few sets, but you'll see those hit as you play a few more games.

I updated my Hacking NBA Jam TE guide in the Documents section, so you'll see there all the original sets.

"All right" is actually "Oh my!"  It's a throwback to the first NBA Jam.

Thanks for the continued support!   :beer:

P.S.  Since I'm talking about wrestling, figure I'd throw a shout-out to the folks at Wrestling Modders for their love/support for the original Double Z Mod.  That game was my first and favorite hack!

I actually played four quarters and even tried Practice Mode, and I was still getting just WHOO. I guess it'll just grow on me! Is SCORE still in? I'm glad we got MK's TOASTY, but I'll definitely miss HEATING UP.

Thanks again for such amazing work  :beer: I'll let you know if I find any bugs or typos.

EDIT: I've played about three games straight and honestly, the WHOOs and TOASTYs are getting stale. They kind of feel out of place for Jam. I'm going through your guide for hacking TE, but in the meantime, is there any chance you could include an additional/optional patch that brings back YES or HELLO and the HEATING UP soundclips?
« Last Edit: July 17, 2019, 02:36:26 am by Dzumeister »
free sluffy

eskayelle

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2019, 01:10:24 pm »
Funny -- I found the "Yes!", "Score!", "Hello!", and "Count it!" sound clips a bit repetitive after a while, so I took liberties as developer to spice them up a bit.  To each their own...  >:D

Having put in all that time to learn sound and write the ROM hack, I can't say I'm inclined to add an optional patch (I'm actually going to take a break from modding for a bit), but that's the beauty of the Hacking NBA Jam Excel.  It allows anyone interested the option of making whatever changes they want at their whim!  I'm hoping to maybe see a bunch more roster updates, college team additions, fun teams, and whatever else folks like come from the masses when the dust settles.

"WOO!" is not a dynamic sound; because it replaces "Yes!", it's one of the more static sounds that loads no matter what.  "WOO!"/"Yes!" is at SNES LoROM address $B8:E942 (or PC address $1C6942).  Starting at that address, you can swap out 0xC69 bytes from the 2K20 hex in favor of what's in the original ROM.

"Toasty!" is at SNES LoROM address $B8:DC01, or PC address $1C5C01.  You'd just want to go to the original ROM, copy 0xD26 bytes, and write them over the 2K20 ROM.

Personally, I feel "Toasty!" fits pretty nicely in Jam, particularly given the shouts to MK in the original ROM.  I'd argue it fits better than some of the sound clips in NBA Jam XXX, which was one of the reasons I limited my use of those to a select few.

Thanks for the great review!  Definitely appreciate it!  And keep spreadin' the word!

« Last Edit: July 17, 2019, 02:42:30 pm by eskayelle »

Dzumeister

• Zaubermancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 18, 2019, 02:30:30 am »
Funny -- I found the "Yes!", "Score!", "Hello!", and "Count it!" sound clips a bit repetitive after a while, so I took liberties as developer to spice them up a bit.  To each their own...  >:D

Having put in all that time to learn sound and write the ROM hack, I can't say I'm inclined to add an optional patch (I'm actually going to take a break from modding for a bit), but that's the beauty of the Hacking NBA Jam Excel.  It allows anyone interested the option of making whatever changes they want at their whim!  I'm hoping to maybe see a bunch more roster updates, college team additions, fun teams, and whatever else folks like come from the masses when the dust settles.

"WOO!" is not a dynamic sound; because it replaces "Yes!", it's one of the more static sounds that loads no matter what.  "WOO!"/"Yes!" is at SNES LoROM address $B8:E942 (or PC address $1C6942).  Starting at that address, you can swap out 0xC69 bytes from the 2K20 hex in favor of what's in the original ROM.

"Toasty!" is at SNES LoROM address $B8:DC01, or PC address $1C5C01.  You'd just want to go to the original ROM, copy 0xD26 bytes, and write them over the 2K20 ROM.

Personally, I feel "Toasty!" fits pretty nicely in Jam, particularly given the shouts to MK in the original ROM.  I'd argue it fits better than some of the sound clips in NBA Jam XXX, which was one of the reasons I limited my use of those to a select few.

Thanks for the great review!  Definitely appreciate it!  And keep spreadin' the word!

Thanks for the pointers! I tried it out, but it ended up playing silence followed by a small click for both. Now I'm left with a quieter NBA Jam :-\ Any idea what I could have messed up?

I get the idea behind TOASTY, but both samples kind of take away from the amazing work Kitzrow did for Jam. I think the old sound clips get a lot of mileage just from how he delivered them. I did finally get to hear IS IT THE SHOES, so that was a great bonus.

I just found out SLAMS IT was removed in favor of BOOMSHAKALAKA. Sure, the prodigal son returns, but... the cost may have been too great  :'(
« Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 02:52:36 am by Dzumeister »
free sluffy

eskayelle

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 18, 2019, 08:56:02 am »
Depending on the sound clip, there's an 0x1B or 0x23 size header in front of the clip that may need a reset too.  For some clips, I had to adjust pitch to get them to work.

That silence definitely takes me back...

http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=27541.0

http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=27254.0

Dzumeister

• Zaubermancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 18, 2019, 03:44:39 pm »
Depending on the sound clip, there's an 0x1B or 0x23 size header in front of the clip that may need a reset too.  For some clips, I had to adjust pitch to get them to work.

That silence definitely takes me back...

http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=27541.0

http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=27254.0

How do I know which header is used for which sample... and how do I add the header?  :huh: LOL
free sluffy