News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Are there any active Zelda 1 ROM hacking Discord communities?  (Read 720 times)

Shaktiman

• View Profile
Are there any active Zelda 1 ROM hacking Discord communities?
« on: February 25, 2019, 02:27:29 am »
Hello everyone,,
I've been working on a Zelda 1 ROM hack (nothing too fancy), and have been mostly going at it with just the help of some tools and an online friend. I've tried ROM Hacking Dot Net, but they weren't particularly helpful (most of them just nudge me to learning ASM - which would delay the hack by months or even years, and in most cases unnecessary given a lot of the changes I made simply required knowing where to hex edit.)

Now, I'm not asking for people to do it entirely for me. I'm pretty well versed with the tools and I'm competent with hex editing (to an extent). I just need to find a community that can help point me in the right direction of what / where to edit when I run into certain odd issues (such as enemies accidentally treating some tiles as floor tiles).

FAST6191

• View Profile
Re: Are there any active Zelda 1 ROM hacking Discord communities?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2019, 08:44:31 am »
Are there any ROM hacking discord communities? Most ROM hackers would likely take a look at discord, see that it is another proprietary protocol/client chat program, one in which you can't even make your own servers, and that try to enforce some rules (that they even can kick people off their service, never mind for such dubious reasons, says it all to me) and write it off as another doomed to failure protocol. If you wanted it as a throwaway chat then maybe but ROM hacking tends to be about the long term -- the very game you want to edit is now 30+ years old and being a ROM it has not changed much in that time.

"simply required knowing where to hex edit"
Given you can edit anything you like with a hex editor (you literally have the whole game in front of you in such a case) that does not mean much -- hex editors are generally to be considered very crude tools with limited use. It is not a skill or ability really any more than being able to type is. If you are editing a ROM with a hex editor then you either know what you need to do because you found it by some other means (and even then if it probably wants to only be a simple thing -- copy and paste, something which fits on screen or a couple of scrolls in a reasonable font, adjust width to find a pointer/size table sort of thing) or someone else did and told you (a reasonable possibility someone did it before for Zelda).
I don't know what you want to do with the game so I can't say whether assembly would have been essential or otherwise extremely useful or not for you. Generally for the NES once you are beyond text and graphics, maybe some light level editing, you are in assembly territory.

Fiskbit

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2019, 08:35:13 am »
I and a few other people with some interest in both Zelda 1 and ROM hacking are active on the Zelda 1 speedrunning Discord, which has a ROM hacking channel. Red Candle's Zelda 1 page will always have the current Discord invitation link, and I've been slowly building up a page on that wiki with technical information that may be of use to you if you decide to tackle any assembly stuff at all. I can't promise to have the time to help you do all that much, but if you want just some pointers without much hand holding, it should work just fine.

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2019, 11:07:45 pm »
I've tried ROM Hacking Dot Net, but they weren't particularly helpful
You do know what site you're posting on, right?

...Or are you the same spambot that got banned two weeks ago?
http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=28013

Maybe the responses to your Reddit thread weren't helpful enough?
https://www.reddit.com/r/romhacking/comments/aqmoif/are_there_any_active_zelda_1_rom_hacking_discord/
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2019, 02:31:55 am »
You do know what site you're posting on, right?

...Or are you the same spambot that got banned two weeks ago?
http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=28013

Maybe the responses to your Reddit thread weren't helpful enough?
https://www.reddit.com/r/romhacking/comments/aqmoif/are_there_any_active_zelda_1_rom_hacking_discord/

Ha, good job. What a dick. Good luck getting help around here now. :)