News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: My Neighbour Totoro (SMB1)  (Read 4980 times)

McDenDen

• View Profile
My Neighbour Totoro (SMB1)
« on: February 23, 2019, 03:56:40 pm »
Hello folks,

I've been thinking for a while that there really should have been some Totoro games on classic consoles. I couldn't find anything so I thought I'd make something (if there are any Studio Ghibli hacks out there already I'd love to know). This is the first time I've done anything this extensive so I consider myself to be 'entry level' in this whole ROM hacking thing. This is a hack of Super Mario Bros. 1 on NES.

Where I am with this project;

Done
Character sprites and animations.
Backgrounds
Some levels
Some enemies
Title screen

ToDo
Music
More levels
More enemies
Update remaining original sprites
Ongoing refinement

If anyone has had any experience doing NES music on SMB, any pointers are appreciated. Also, if anyone can point me towards hacks with good level design that would be helpful, I'm in need of some inspiration! General thoughts and feedback also welcome.

Thanks,
Cakewarden.
Spoiler:

Update 1 - 07/03

More levels completed - up to midway through world 2
Yubaba from Spirited Away to replace Bowser
Tweaked title screen
Few more enemy types
I am able to edit music - still working on composition.
Coins changed to acorns

Spoiler:

Update 2 - 19/03

Some progress on the music, but it's slow progress. Not all notes are represented in all octaves from what I can see in the guides. :huh:
Levels for world 1 are complete, world 2 about 50%.
Minor graphical updates to question mark boxes etc.

Update 3 - 02/04

Level design for the most part, experimenting with auto-scrolling levels and a bunch of stuff Eden GT sent my way.
Been having a look at the tool FCandChill has made, need to revisit the music properly and redo in FamiTracker to test that.
Had a play around with some backgrounds, trying to add a bit of depth to the levels. Still unsure, might tweak pallets or abandon that idea . . .
Might try and get a demo together to see if I can get any feedback on the level design . . . any takers?

Spoiler:
« Last Edit: April 01, 2019, 07:58:11 pm by McDenDen »

CountBuggula

• View Profile
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Re: My Neighbour Totoro (SMB1)
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2019, 08:59:10 pm »
Cute idea!  Normally I don't care much for total conversion-type mods or changing main characters in games, but I also love Studio Ghibli and you're right - there should have been some games along these lines.

What are you doing story-wise for this hack?  That will help guide you towards what you want for level design.

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2019, 09:18:36 pm »
Ha! That's pretty cool. I like it.
If I have any one suggestion it is to try to add something to the game play to differentiate it from the base game. Even if it is something as "simple" as a double jump ability to replace the fire flower or whatever.

cralso

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2019, 09:31:58 pm »
Heh this looks pretty nice, although I'm not a fan of SMB (although I considered SMB3 an really good game) I think could be great view something like this, ah, I haven't viewed yet this movie haha, but Studio Ghibli make great things indeed ;D

I would like view something like this idea but with Spirited Away.
 :woot!:

DannyPlaysSomeGames

• Wait, this isn't Burger King
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2019, 11:21:24 pm »
What a cute idea. As a fan of the original, this looks so nice and cuddly. Keep up the good work.
Hey there

Midna

• Resident Panel de Pon Nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2019, 02:57:42 am »
I've been thinking for a while that there really should have been some Totoro games on classic consoles. I couldn't find anything so I thought I'd make something (if there are any Studio Ghibli hacks out there already I'd love to know).

This is because Hayao Miyazaki doesn't like video games, so he doesn't license Studio Ghibli's properties out for them. He did take a gamble once back in the mid-'80s and had a few games put out based on Nausicaa, but they were at best inadequate and at worst barely qualified as "games," and either way they didn't convince him it was worth the extra money.

The hack itself looks very cute, though. Hope it'll be fun! (And not like the Nausicaa games.)

Timbo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2019, 03:16:29 am »
Ha! That's pretty cool. I like it.
If I have any one suggestion it is to try to add something to the game play to differentiate it from the base game. Even if it is something as "simple" as a double jump ability to replace the fire flower or whatever.

^This

Also, you should change the coins into acorns and the "?" images on the boxes into something else. Catbus face maybe...

McDenDen

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2019, 03:57:23 am »
^This

Also, you should change the coins into acorns and the "?" images on the boxes into something else. Catbus face maybe...

I had been thinking that needed something. The fire ball has been changed to acorns already but I dunno, this isn't set in stone.

Love the idea of Catbus!

Shade Aurion

• Shadow Keeper
    • View Profile
    • DudeGoBack
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2019, 06:59:17 am »
Maybe change the ? block into a leaf block maybe and give different power ups. As Timbo said, maybe a double jump? You could make it an umbrella power up ^_^ You could also make a yell attack instead of a fireball. I'll be keeping an eye on this one. Good work <3

McDenDen

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2019, 11:41:41 am »
Maybe change the ? block into a leaf block maybe and give different power ups. As Timbo said, maybe a double jump? You could make it an umbrella power up ^_^ You could also make a yell attack instead of a fireball. I'll be keeping an eye on this one. Good work <3

Thanks, I did have a similar thought about an umbrella power up but I ran into issues with the amount of space I had and the limitations of the tiles.

I really like the yell attack idea although I have no idea how I would approach this. I might have to do some thinking on that . . .

McDenDen

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2019, 07:34:13 am »
Update in original post.

Thanks for the feedback all, I'm trying to incorporate where I have the ability to do so.

Shade Aurion

• Shadow Keeper
    • View Profile
    • DudeGoBack
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2019, 04:44:56 pm »
Wow, this is coming along great! If I might add, perhaps turn used item boxes into rocks and maybe smashable bricks into dirt clods? Just to add to the natural aesthetic. Turning the pipes into trees looks really nice. Well done!

McDenDen

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2019, 06:26:49 pm »
Wow, this is coming along great! If I might add, perhaps turn used item boxes into rocks and maybe smashable bricks into dirt clods? Just to add to the natural aesthetic. Turning the pipes into trees looks really nice. Well done!

Thanks - I like the idea of rocks and the more natural aesthetic. Just quickly knocked this up, think it needs a bit more work though.

Shade Aurion

• Shadow Keeper
    • View Profile
    • DudeGoBack
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2019, 03:48:20 am »
That immediately looks much better  :thumbsup:

FCandChill

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2019, 01:58:55 pm »
This is a cute hack. Good job.

ToDo
Music
More levels
More enemies
Update remaining original sprites
Ongoing refinement

If anyone has had any experience doing NES music on SMB, any pointers are appreciated. Also, if anyone can point me towards hacks with good level design that would be helpful, I'm in need of some inspiration! General thoughts and

Dr. Floppy created a music guide on this game way back...
https://www.romhacking.net/documents/390/

and it was further elaborated on by w7n...
https://www.romhacking.net/documents/630/

As far as I know, most hackers insert their music in raw hex. I think that's annoying so I developed a C# application that converts FTM files to music data for Ninja Gaiden. Darkmoon2321 has it now and updated it, although the most recent version isn't on Github...

https://github.com/darkmoon2321/NGMusicConvert

Eden.GT

• Hardcore SMB1 Player and Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2019, 06:44:09 am »
Holy shit dude. I haven't seen such a high-quality SMB Hack that has given me this sort of vibes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kn_qjEy5pO8
Especially all the graphical execution. Changing the music as well? Extra points!

I'll share some more resources you might find useful via DMs.
Is the pool clean?

eyeballkid

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2019, 10:04:05 am »
This is because Hayao Miyazaki doesn't like video games, so he doesn't license Studio Ghibli's properties out for them. He did take a gamble once back in the mid-'80s and had a few games put out based on Nausicaa, but they were at best inadequate and at worst barely qualified as "games," and either way they didn't convince him it was worth the extra money.

Isn't Ni no Kuni a collaboration between Ghibli and Level 5?

McDenDen

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2019, 03:37:39 pm »
This is a cute hack. Good job.

Dr. Floppy created a music guide on this game way back...
https://www.romhacking.net/documents/390/

and it was further elaborated on by w7n...
https://www.romhacking.net/documents/630/

As far as I know, most hackers insert their music in raw hex. I think that's annoying so I developed a C# application that converts FTM files to music data for Ninja Gaiden. Darkmoon2321 has it now and updated it, although the most recent version isn't on Github...

https://github.com/darkmoon2321/NGMusicConvert

Thanks for the pointers, I'm working through the guides. I have been able to update the various audio channels but the music is only in sheet music format that I can find. I can't read sheet music so it's a bit trail and error getting it into the game and transcribing it. I am using hex.

I really like the idea of an FTM converter. From what I understand the music is quite specific to each game so I think it might be a lot of time to understand the tool and change the application to SMB, also, I don't know C#. But it's really cool that this has been done for any game at all  :thumbsup:

March 13, 2019, 03:52:24 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Holy shit dude. I haven't seen such a high-quality SMB Hack that has given me this sort of vibes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kn_qjEy5pO8
Especially all the graphical execution. Changing the music as well? Extra points!

I'll share some more resources you might find useful via DMs.

Thanks  :laugh:

Cheers for the resources  :woot!:
« Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 03:52:24 pm by McDenDen »

CountBuggula

• View Profile
    • Fate of the Galaxy
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2019, 04:33:48 pm »
I have been able to update the various audio channels but the music is only in sheet music format that I can find. I can't read sheet music so it's a bit trail and error getting it into the game and transcribing it. I am using hex.

All the Studio Ghibili midis you could possibly want.  Obviously you can't convert straight from the midis, but it's probably a way better start than sheet music.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 02:54:19 pm by CountBuggula »

McDenDen

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2019, 06:22:48 pm »

March 18, 2019, 09:06:48 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Update in original post.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 09:06:48 pm by McDenDen »