News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: EarthRedone - EarthReBound / EarthReMothered  (Read 4883 times)

Lorenzooone

• View Profile
Re: EarthRedone - EarthReBound / EarthReMothered
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2019, 04:31:44 am »
With no license in the repository (like in MaternalBound's case), it is ILLEGAL to get the code, edit it and redistribute it.
That's why people add licenses to their repository.
One could easily sue you for stealing.

mwksoul

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2019, 01:25:43 pm »
Regarding the New Status Window file, downloading it and putting it in your project will result in an error when CoilSnake compiles. If you look at line 4 of the file, there's an import command that requires an ebs.ccs file, which from my understanding is not a file that's standard to CoilSnake nor its Mobile Sprout library. The only way to make it work is knowing where that file may be which is in MaternalBound's project files. Although the New Status Window is a public file to be used for your own EarthBound hacks, it is intentionally left to be error prone for projects that tries to use it. The reason why it's left unusable for any other hacks is mostly because it's not a priority.

And if you do somehow to get the file to compile with your project, you'll have two of your stat windows display garbage text like the ones seen here:
https://gist.github.com/ShadowOne333/ad907d18c16e2b29cbb7ab674e590203#gistcomment-2771782

While you are right that ebs.ccs is (as far as I can tell) not open, simply replacing ebs.ccs with ebpp.ccs (which is part of mobile-sprout) seems to work just fine (on top of the current EarthReBound; on a fresh copy of EarthBound there are more steps, including editing the window sizes and using this asm65816.ccs: https://gist.github.com/HS39/860d79169459dc256acfbeecdb3e2281).

With no license in the repository (like in MaternalBound's case), it is ILLEGAL to get the code, edit it and redistribute it.

First of all I am not a lawyer! But my understanding is that:
1) If you have a public repository anyone can clone and "play" with it due GitHub's terms of service. See https://help.github.com/en/articles/licensing-a-repository, specifically "If you publish your source code in a public repository on GitHub, according to the Terms of Service, other GitHub users have the right to view and fork your repository within the GitHub site."
2) I think only the copyright holders (of Mother 2 / EarthBound) could sue.

Either way, I think that after ShadowOne333 reads my response he will understand that I didn't mean to step on his toes and that, much like him, all I was trying to do was to improve upon EarthBound :).

In fact ShadowOne333, I'm asking/proposing this if you think it is ok:
- Closing this for now, removing the betas and only continuing this after you release the "stable"/non-beta version?
- Otherwise, would you be up for collaboration (perhaps integrating some changes / making them configurable)?

Special

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2019, 01:51:25 pm »
I can't even count the number of times someone on here makes a hack that just pieces a bunch of different hacks together to make their own "definitive" version of X game, this is no different. Also  ::) @ using the term "copyright" about anything on this site... Only Nintendo has any right to sue, be real.

Made in China

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2019, 02:12:52 pm »
I think ShadowOne333 is in the right here - he should've been contacted and more elaborately credited - the whole kerfuffle with using an unfinished and still WIP version is a testament to that. The same goes for the creator of EarthBound: Enhanced.

That being said, I agree with Special that the combined hack should be allowed to exist. I think ShadowOne333's own hack, Super Metroid: GBA Style! is a good example for how to do it right - from credits to the actual description of the hack.

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2019, 03:24:52 pm »
Thanks for your response.

The repository that you mentioned does still exist, although privately now and with much more added stuff into it since November, and from that one most of the stuff like New Controls, MSU, Status windows, etc, script were all done particularly for MaternalBound in mind, and while yeah some of them were added into the Library even by myself, they were being hold-off until the release of the new hack I am making, which is the very reason why I didn't mention the New MaternalBound repo to anyone, and I wasn't able to make the repo private before until Microsoft acquisition of GitHub, were they made private repos free for all users instead of being available only for paid users.

Perhaps the reason why it was open led to this event, but it was done so due to GitHub not offering private repos for free users. After that, I effectively made it private.

All in all, I do get where you are coming from, the repo was available openly and perhaps you saw it as okay to fork it.
That's fine, but do take into consideration that you did know the current project was in beta for a potential final release, yet you still went ahead with it.

No harm though, it's completely fine and I do appreciate that you explained everything in detail.
With that said:

In fact ShadowOne333, I'm asking/proposing this if you think it is ok:
- Closing this for now, removing the betas and only continuing this after you release the "stable"/non-beta version?
- Otherwise, would you be up for collaboration (perhaps integrating some changes / making them configurable)?

I am okay with #1. I'd be grateful if you could please halt any release of this hack until I finish the New MaternalBound hack I am making. This will also greatly benefit you, as right now there is no PCM pack for EarthBound at all, and I'm the only one with a full PCM pack for the whole game (which took me months to do, with some original tracks by myself as well).
If you want to collab, I'm up for it too, just that I don't know how much help I could be :P

Once I release the final hack, I will make the current build public, and you can base your new hack on it.
I have no issues with you taking MaternalBound as the base, the only problem was that you took an unfinished/beta build of it, and by making a release you can undermine the whole work from months/years I've put into it. That's the reason.

So in short words, you can continue this hack, but I would please ask you if you could make the current repo you have as private, and to not publish any patches until I finish the new hack I am making.
You can still continue your work on it of course, and perhaps showcase some of the changes, but without any patches until I am done with my hack please.
This can help you a lot as well, as the changes between Nov up to February are above the thousands, so your hack will also greatly benefit from that, as well as the PCM pack I have for MSU for it as well.

One last thing, I noticed you removed the dad calling you thing, have you tried in-game?
What effects does it have or what does the game do when Dad is about to call Ness?

CountBuggula

• View Profile
    • Fate of the Galaxy
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2019, 03:31:58 pm »

Incorrect.  If you don't include a license.txt in your github repository, it falls under the default github ToS, specifically the following:
Quote from: github terms of service
If you set your pages and repositories to be viewed publicly, you grant each User of GitHub a nonexclusive, worldwide license to use, display, and perform Your Content through the GitHub Service and to reproduce Your Content solely on GitHub as permitted through GitHub's functionality (for example, through forking).
It is ShadowOne333's fault for not including a more restrictive license if that was what he wanted, and he can't go back and complain about it now, especially when OP included proper credit for the source.

mwksoul

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2019, 03:39:50 pm »
I am okay with #1. I'd be grateful if you could please halt any release of this hack until I finish the New MaternalBound hack I am making. This will also greatly benefit you, as right now there is no PCM pack for EarthBound at all, and I'm the only one with a full PCM pack for the whole game (which took me months to do, with some original tracks by myself as well).
If you want to collab, I'm up for it too, just that I don't know how much help I could be :P

Thank you for understanding. I really did not have any bad intentions. About the collab I don't have any specific ideas yet but I can program and do some scripting so maybe if, like I did for this, you would like to have different editions with the same repo I could hack something up. ;D
I also have a few patches for CoilSnake, CCScriptWriter and ccscript_legacy which I would like to eventually upstream and that I believe would benefit the entire EarthBound hacking community - at least they made it possible for me to use these tools on Linux, which is something. :)

One last thing, I noticed you removed the dad calling you thing, have you tried in-game?
What effects does it have or what does the game do when Dad is about to call Ness?

I did not notice any negative effects. I created a savestate with an untouched EarthBound ROM right before the event would trigger and the game simply continued as if nothing had happened. I believe that by immediately finding an eob, the game simply skips showing the message box at all.

Because I don't see any harm in keeping the thread open, I'll just edit the OP to explain that the release of the hack is halted for now.

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2019, 04:19:43 pm »
Thank you for understanding. I really did not have any bad intentions. About the collab I don't have any specific ideas yet but I can program and do some scripting so maybe if, like I did for this, you would like to have different editions with the same repo I could hack something up. ;D
I also have a few patches for CoilSnake, CCScriptWriter and ccscript_legacy which I would like to eventually upstream and that I believe would benefit the entire EarthBound hacking community - at least they made it possible for me to use these tools on Linux, which is something. :)
Thanks for clearing things up and also for being comprehensive towards this, it's greatly appreciated!

As for patches to the applications themselves, that's good!
When you mention patches for CoilSnake, CCScriptWrite and ccscript-legacy, may I ask what fixes have you applied?
Or at least a tease of it? I know ccscript has a bug with recent commits, where it skips certain labels when decompiling a new ROM due to ccscript wrongly recognizing some control codes ([19 02] I believe or similar), so it doesn't add the proper label.
Are those fixes for that, or are they for something else?
I'm kinda curious for those :P

I did not notice any negative effects. I created a savestate with an untouched EarthBound ROM right before the event would trigger and the game simply continued as if nothing had happened. I believe that by immediately finding an eob, the game simply skips showing the message box at all.
Interesting.
I'll try on my own and see how it behaves under other conditions.
I know using savestates tends to not be a suitable option to test romhacks, due to data from the previous build or the original ROM still in the savestate, but let's see how it goes.

Because I don't see any harm in keeping the thread open, I'll just edit the OP to explain that the release of the hack is halted for now.

Thanks for this, I am hoping I don't take that much time to release it. I hope to release it by March if there are no other bugs/glitches with my current beta patches.
And for all of those reading this post, please if you could, give me some feedback about the new MaternalBound:
https://forum.starmen.net/forum/Community/PKHack/WIP-MaternalBound-Uncensoring-Other-junk-hack/page/21#post2250080

The more feedback I can get, the better and sooner I can release my hack so that @mwksoul's patch continues asap!
Thanks mwksoul for understanding and being comprehensive towards the situation of the hack, and I do hope things continue smooth and all to continue this project as soon as it is possible :)

mwksoul

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2019, 04:30:22 pm »
As for patches to the applications themselves, that's good!
When you mention patches for CoilSnake, CCScriptWrite and ccscript-legacy, may I ask what fixes have you applied?
Or at least a tease of it? I know ccscript has a bug with recent commits, where it skips certain labels when decompiling a new ROM due to ccscript wrongly recognizing some control codes ([19 02] I believe or similar), so it doesn't add the proper label.
Are those fixes for that, or are they for something else?
I'm kinda curious for those :P

For now, something much less exciting. For ccscript-legacy it's just a compilation fix for modern compilers / versions of C++. As for CoilSnake, when using certain image editors the first color is incorrect but CoilSnake would try to match the remaining colors and use that palette. CoilSnake 3.33 "broke" this in a commit and I restored the functionality in a slightly less hacky way than the original. I would eventually like to fix the problem with the Kirby sprite in the debug menu rather than forcing users to find addresses to patch and things like that much like you had to. :)

Thanks for this, I am hoping I don't take that much time to release it. I hope to release it by March if there are no other bugs/glitches with my current beta patches.
And for all of those reading this post, please if you could, give me some feedback about the new MaternalBound:
https://forum.starmen.net/forum/Community/PKHack/WIP-MaternalBound-Uncensoring-Other-junk-hack/page/21#post2250080

The more feedback I can get, the better and sooner I can release my hack so that @mwksoul's patch continues asap!
Thanks mwksoul for understanding and being comprehensive towards the situation of the hack, and I do hope things continue smooth and all to continue this project as soon as it is possible :)

In the wise words of Shia LaBeouf "Do it!"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXsQAXx_ao0

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2019, 04:55:30 pm »
I would eventually like to fix the problem with the Kirby sprite in the debug menu rather than forcing users to find addresses to patch and things like that much like you had to. :)
That one I think is addressed in one of the Issues in the CoilSnake Github.
If you want, take a look at that Issue, and try to make some sense out of it.
I know the fix for the Kirby sprite must be relocated alongside the Title Screen module, since that one is the one that modifies the data bank for the Kirby sprite, so all that would be needed would be for the Title Screen module to include the fixes for the Kirby sprite, and CoilSnake should relocate everything properly as long as the Kirby sprite gets moved alongside the Title Screen data.

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2019, 08:32:32 am »
Sorry for the long hiatus, but the hack is finally out.

https://github.com/jamsilva/MaternalBound-Redux

You can continue with full permission now the project now that the main hack is done.

Hope it helps.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2019, 02:01:28 pm by ShadowOne333 »

mwksoul

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2019, 12:26:22 pm »
Awesome, thanks for the heads up. :)

darthvaderx

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2019, 04:37:34 am »
Thanks to Alchemic. (Maybe a suggestion ...)