News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: EarthRedone - EarthReBound / EarthReMothered  (Read 5058 times)

mwksoul

• View Profile
EarthRedone - EarthReBound / EarthReMothered
« on: February 23, 2019, 09:27:55 am »
Edit: this hack is now halted until an official non-beta release of MaternalBound. I may still post ideas/changes I work on and I'm willing to hear any suggestions you may have!

The very first time I played EarthBound I really disliked how clunky the Talk/Check commands were compared to other RPGs where you simply have an interaction button. I quickly found some patches that would do things like add a run button or an interaction button (moved to one of the face buttons and without the "No problem here" message). So, a few years later I wanted to replay EarthBound and found MaternalBound - and I really liked the changes but once again missed the interaction button. Fortunately, the MaternalBound project files were available on GitHub and CoilSnake was already a thing so I got to work. At about that time, EarthBound: Enhanced 1.0 was also released and I really liked its sprites so I took those too. The result was EarthReBound.

Recently though, we got a new beta of MaternalBound with a lot of cool enhancements and EarthBound: Enhanced 1.1 so I decided to try to do my best to add other things I wanted. I also received a message requesting a version of the hack containing the Mother 2 title screen and wanted to make it configurable. So, here is the EarthRedone project!

Here are some of the things you can find in the hack:

- Better text, in many cases closer to the original Mother 2 release:
->

- The changes to the controls make the game feel more modern:
->

- Additional window in the equipment menu showing stats/resistances/weaknesses:
->

- Removed some annoyances. Most importantly, Ness's Dad no longer asks you to stop playing the game:
->

- Higher quality, more model-accurate battle sprites, mostly based on EarthBound: Enhanced:
->

- Bigger, more modern, better looking logos:
->

- Tweaked/improved fonts. The Mr. Saturn font especially is much more readable:
->

- More varied overworld sprites, including unique sprites for each enemy and improved palettes:
->

It needs some testing though and that is why I'm releasing it as a beta here first. Please test it and report any problems you find. When I am convinced it is ok I'll do the 1.0 release. There are a few other things I would like to do but for now this should be enough of a new experience to make it worthwhile. :)

This has a debug shortcut - simply view the ATM card description to activate the debug menu. If you managed to grab a patch before, have fun!
« Last Edit: February 25, 2019, 03:42:36 pm by mwksoul »

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
Re: EarthRedone - EarthReBound / EarthReMothered
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2019, 11:40:35 am »
"moved" so it sounds like you do know EB already had an interaction button (L)?
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

mwksoul

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2019, 11:57:47 am »
I am not sure whether I knew it the very first time I played but I eventually noticed. I still kept using the New Controls patch because it was closer to what I was used to, especially from the Pokémon games.

nejimakipiyo

• View Profile
    • Demon Passion
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2019, 12:15:42 pm »
This is an interesting project! I especially like the sprite changes. :)
I am being the real demon king, you fools!

Megakoopax

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2019, 03:52:42 pm »
This looks fascinating. I'm especially a fan of the equipment menu, custom map sprites, and the ability to run. I can't wait to replay Eathbound with these changes.

G061

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2019, 07:08:13 pm »
Looks awesome. Not particularly a fan of the sprite changes but the others are all welcome changes. Any chance you could pair this with MaternalBound in the future?

mwksoul

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2019, 07:24:28 pm »
First of all, thanks for the comments.

This is an interesting project! I especially like the sprite changes. :)

If you see anything you dislike, I'm open to suggestions. :)

This looks fascinating. I'm especially a fan of the equipment menu, custom map sprites, and the ability to run. I can't wait to replay EarthBound with these changes.

If you find any problems when you get the chance to play it don't forget to leave a comment!

Looks awesome. Not particularly a fan of the sprite changes but the others are all welcome changes. Any chance you could pair this with MaternalBound in the future?

Regarding the sprite changes, any change in particular or the overall idea/execution? Regarding MaternalBound, I'm not sure I understand what you mean - this hack is based on MaternalBound and one of the editions (EarthReMothered) keeps the Mother 2 title screen/gas station and references to the Mother series.

nejimakipiyo

• View Profile
    • Demon Passion
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2019, 08:16:42 pm »
Personally I loved the old Mr. Saturn font. The one you put in isn't terrible per se, and legibility is definitely a good thing. But I think the zaniness of it was part of the charm. :)
I am being the real demon king, you fools!

Made in China

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2019, 09:38:56 pm »
I personally love everything you've done - look like the best of both worlds, from Maternalbound and Earthbound Enhanced. I feel like that the controls were perfected with this hack: https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1111/ and you might want to consider using it. It also changes some text because the map button was changed.

XModxGodX

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2019, 12:34:32 am »
I’m enjoying it so far (currently in winters as Jeff) my only real complaint is regarding the renamed big bottle rocket (or pencil rocket x5) I just think it’s name implies it’s a 5 use item and though the help menu clears that up it still refers to it as a bottle rocket. I’m aware of how the game calculates how bottle rockets work but I think the previous name worked better if anything I’d change the help menu’s description to explain how it works instead.
Edit: Also the worthless protoplasm’s out of battle sprite has a glitched tile under it that takes the shape of the last sprite that was on screen.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2019, 12:57:56 am by XModxGodX »

blacksniper

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2019, 02:56:00 am »
Is there supposed to be a super easy to find / access debug menu or did somebody forget to remove some testing tools?
---
People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world.

ThegreatBen

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2019, 09:05:30 am »
Any way to make the bicycle useable for more of the game?

Special

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2019, 09:18:09 am »
Is there supposed to be a super easy to find / access debug menu or did somebody forget to remove some testing tools?

This has a debug shortcut - simply view the ATM card description to activate the debug menu. Have fun!

It's right in the OP.

Anyway, I just want to say that everything about this hack looks great, EB is one of my favorites and it's definitely time for another run of the game, this hack makes perfect timing.

mwksoul

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2019, 09:35:04 am »
Personally I loved the old Mr. Saturn font. The one you put in isn't terrible per se, and legibility is definitely a good thing. But I think the zaniness of it was part of the charm. :)

I like it too but sometimes I had to read the text 3 times just to understand it. :P

I’m enjoying it so far (currently in winters as Jeff) my only real complaint is regarding the renamed big bottle rocket (or pencil rocket x5)

I agree here, changed it back. I copied the name from MaternalBound but I think that the name "Bottle Rocket" is more iconic.

Edit: Also the worthless protoplasm’s out of battle sprite has a glitched tile under it that takes the shape of the last sprite that was on screen.

Fixed. I will edit the original post with a new link soon. For now, here it is: https://goo.gl/7ezjQE

Any way to make the bicycle useable for more of the game?

Acquiring the bicycle then immediately getting Paula and being unable to use it anymore bothers me too. Unfortunately, I can't really think of a way to improve this...

crimental

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2019, 12:17:00 pm »
boton run plis

laserlambert

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2019, 01:30:25 pm »
This looks ambitious, adding the sprites to the field is amazing. I can't say I'm that big a fan of the battle sprites being changed though, like the Frank sprite you use as an example just looks flatter to me. any way for that to be optional? or is there a way to patch them back in without messing anything else up?

G061

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2019, 07:13:19 pm »
Regarding the sprite changes, any change in particular or the overall idea/execution? Regarding MaternalBound, I'm not sure I understand what you mean - this hack is based on MaternalBound and one of the editions (EarthReMothered) keeps the Mother 2 title screen/gas station and references to the Mother series.
For the sprites I think any improvement here is subjective but trying to make them more faithful to their clay art or whatever the intention was, to me, takes away some of the charm they had originally. I'd like it if there were separate patches for the sprite art but if it's a hassle don't even worry about it.
For MaternalBound, that's great to hear. IIRC the last hack submitted to RHDN that worked off of MaternalBound made a lot of QoL changes too but it didn't keep the option to retain all the Mother 2 changes which is what I liked most about MaternalBound. It sounds like EarthReMothered will be my go-to, thanks a lot.

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2019, 01:22:57 am »
Excuse me, but how exactly did you get some of the files for this hack?
And more specifically, WHY did you use the current BETA patch that I released for the NewMaternalbound hack a few days ago as the base for tihis and then release it?

You are basically taking everything I've done for years to the beta patch, rebranded it released it as a new hack, and I'm not okay with that.
Also those Title Screen files you had were private, as were many other stuff you are using in this hack that I've developed for MaternalBound, including New controls, new equipment window, and almost everything listed in it.

I demand an explanation.

mwksoul

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2019, 02:25:18 am »
Excuse me, but how exactly did you get some of the files for this hack?

I cloned the New-MaternalBound repository (which I am now noticing disappeared from github). Feel free to look at my own repository: https://github.com/jamsilva/EarthRedone - the first commit mentions that I based this on commit bcb488c4 (in November if I am not mistaken). Perhaps I did not handle this well (by not talking to you first) but considering the rules for projects on github (at the time), if you are using a free repository, the contents must be open source and so I assumed it was ok. Of course, the original MaternalBound being open further convinced me that you would not mind...

And more specifically, WHY did you use the current BETA patch that I released for the NewMaternalbound hack a few days ago as the base for tihis and then release it?

If I understand correctly the current patch is significantly more recent than the commit I used.

I'm very thankful for the work you did and have mentioned that this is based on MaternalBound both in the OP and one response so far. The same thing is true for the original release of EarthReBound.

Also those Title Screen files you had were private, as were many other stuff you are using in this hack that I've developed for MaternalBound, including New controls, new equipment window, and almost everything listed in it.

I disagree with most of this. First of all, because it was publicly available on github. Besides, look at https://github.com/mrtenda/CoilSnake/wiki/CCScript-Library: the New Status Window and MSU-1 support are there. The New Controls patch was already included in the original EarthReBound - as far as I can tell before you added it to New-MaternalBound - and is implemented differently. The only thing I can mostly agree with is the title screen.
Additionally, none of the battle sprites are the same - they come from EarthBound: Enhanced and have all been edited further by me. Various overworld sprites were made/edited/changed by me as well. The font changes are also my own.

I demand an explanation.

I hope this is good enough. Feel free to ask any follow-up questions if there is anything else you need to know/something I forgot to answer.

D-Man

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2019, 03:49:10 am »
Regarding the New Status Window file, downloading it and putting it in your project will result in an error when CoilSnake compiles. If you look at line 4 of the file, there's an import command that requires an ebs.ccs file, which from my understanding is not a file that's standard to CoilSnake nor its Mobile Sprout library. The only way to make it work is knowing where that file may be which is in MaternalBound's project files. Although the New Status Window is a public file to be used for your own EarthBound hacks, it is intentionally left to be error prone for projects that tries to use it. The reason why it's left unusable for any other hacks is mostly because it's not a priority.

And if you do somehow to get the file to compile with your project, you'll have two of your stat windows display garbage text like the ones seen here:
https://gist.github.com/ShadowOne333/ad907d18c16e2b29cbb7ab674e590203#gistcomment-2771782