News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Super Kirby Bros (v0.1)  (Read 1654 times)

facundoj

• View Profile
Super Kirby Bros (v0.1)
« on: February 24, 2019, 05:33:01 am »
Hi! So, I'm new to all of this, so maybe this isn't a really good hack (it's my first one), but I put a lot of work into it, and I wanted to share it. Keep in mind, that I will keep updating it, since the goal is to completely change everything related to graphics and sounds (BGM and SFX) to things from kirby's adventure (and others kirby games maybe). I may change the level design after finishing this. I still have to learn how to, though.

* Features:
-Changed almost all sprites that appear on 1-1
-Changed 1-1 music to "Butter Building" (from Kirby's adventure) and "1UP" SFX
-Changed font and some text (not much yet)
-Some Screenshots:
Spoiler:

* To do list:
- Change all remaining sprites
- Change some low quality/random sprites (like the floor)
- Change all remaining BGM and SFX
- Think of something to replace the original text
- Fix 2 specific notes on 1-1 music (they are a byte higher than they should)
- Find a way to shorten 1-1 BGM, since there is no space for some music. Because of this, Underground and Underwater levels use "Castle Theme".

* Problems:
I don't know how to solve these currently. Any explanation or link to a document is appreciated  ::)
- Can't change title screen: I know how to change it but the problem is that it shares a lot of sprites. I just want to change "Mario" for "Kirby", so it says "Super Kirby Bros." Like this:
Spoiler:
I found a way to solve this using the PPU viewer, and I could change all the area that said "Mario" to only 1 sprite:
Spoiler:
Obviously, I need more than 1 sprite to write Kirby, but I can solve this by using some sprites I discarded (as you can see, on the top left of the PPU viewer, there are some numbers, some unusual sprites, and some blank sprites, I was planning to use those). So here comes the problem, I know how to change sprites using the PPU viewer (like setting tile "$1F" to tile "$5E"), the issue is that it only works if the sprite is on the same side of the PPU viewer. The title screen sprites are on the right side, and the sprites I have available to use are on the left side, so I can't assign them to the title screen. If you read this, thank you! Is there any way to solve this?
- Turtle shell sprite: The adress of these sprites on the PPU viewer are $6E and $6F. However, I've searched for this values on the ROM several times and I can't find anything related to the sprites. Does anyone know another method to search for a sprite on the hex editor?
- Brick blocks: So these don't mirror...
Spoiler:
Is there any way to make the left side mirror the right side?

* Download:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=10Vb5g3vtEsaKJ6R1nYkH__MHHZcG_yO4

It's a .bps file, I patched it with beat. ROM: Super Mario Bros. (World)

Note: I have only tested level 1-1, anything beyond that might have bugs or some weird colors.

Any opinion/criticism/help is aprecciated!

McDenDen

• View Profile
Re: Super Kirby Bros (v0.1)
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2019, 11:39:00 am »
Looks cool, who doesn't love Kirby! Are you doing this all in the PPU viewer? There are a lot of tools out there for SMB.

Anyway, hope this helps, I've encountered some similar problems that I've needed to solve, they probably aren't the only (or even best) way to do this but they seem to work.

-Changed 1-1 music to "Butter Building" (from Kirby's adventure) and "1UP" SFX

I'd be interested to understand how you change the music, I'm working on an SMB hack myself and any insights you can share would be great  ;D

* Problems:
I don't know how to solve these currently. Any explanation or link to a document is appreciated  ::)
- Can't change title screen: I know how to change it but the problem is that it shares a lot of sprites. I just want to change "Mario" for "Kirby", so it says "Super Kirby Bros." Like this:

I use the SMB Title Editor Tool after redrawing tiles in Tile Layer Pro. Read the English readme though, you need to write out a file first before it will allow you to save to the ROM. Fiddly but it works.

https://www.romhacking.net/utilities/491/

- Brick blocks: So these don't mirror...

Is there any way to make the left side mirror the right side?

I have used a combination of Tile Molestor (to flip the tiles) and SMB Graphics workshop to define the metatiles.

facundoj

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2019, 02:39:30 pm »
I'd be interested to understand how you change the music, I'm working on an SMB hack myself and any insights you can share would be great  ;D

I've seen your Totoro hack, it's pretty cool! Basically, you have to find (or write) a sheet of the music you want to put into the game. Then you have to "translate" it to the game music values (these vary from game to game, I think). I used this guide to learn how: http://www.romhacking.net/documents/630/
There are other guides here, but this was the easiest for me. I hope this helps! I don't advise you to make a "long" theme (more than 30-45 seconds is long for this game), since you will run out of space for other theme (that happened to me). If you have any doubt about this just ask me!

I use the SMB Title Editor Tool after redrawing tiles in Tile Layer Pro. Read the English readme though, you need to write out a file first before it will allow you to save to the ROM. Fiddly but it works.

https://www.romhacking.net/utilities/491/

I have used a combination of Tile Molestor (to flip the tiles) and SMB Graphics workshop to define the metatiles.

Thanks for your help! I'll try them out and see if it works  :)
Just one question, how did you change the levels in your hack, did you use one of these utilities?

McDenDen

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2019, 12:03:40 pm »
I've seen your Totoro hack, it's pretty cool! Basically, you have to find (or write) a sheet of the music you want to put into the game. Then you have to "translate" it to the game music values (these vary from game to game, I think). I used this guide to learn how: http://www.romhacking.net/documents/630/
There are other guides here, but this was the easiest for me. I hope this helps! I don't advise you to make a "long" theme (more than 30-45 seconds is long for this game), since you will run out of space for other theme (that happened to me). If you have any doubt about this just ask me!

Thanks for your help! I'll try them out and see if it works  :)
Just one question, how did you change the levels in your hack, did you use one of these utilities?

Cheers for the pointer - I'm using that guide at the moment, just transcribing a tune at the moment to use.

For the level editing I used;

https://www.romhacking.net/utilities/178/

It seems to work quite well, you can only alter existing assets so there are limitations. Some of the more unique items require that are placed below the stage area in rows 13-15. I'm sure if you got the hang of the music then this should be fairly straight forward for you. It has a built in emulator for quick testing too which is a real nice touch.

PauloArkantus

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2019, 09:25:30 pm »

facundoj

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2019, 02:31:52 am »
@PauloArkantus Wow thanks! I think I could use some of your sprites in version 0.2 in order to improve it. If you let me of course. I must admit I'm not a very good artist myself, so this kind of help is really appreciated!

kirb1993

• View Profile
    • my website!
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2019, 11:39:04 pm »
whoa! i think this rom hack is great! i can't wait to see this!  :thumbsup:
i like how you were able to make this hack about kirby! that's what i think is so amazing about this hack!
poyo!!! :)

facundoj

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2019, 01:52:18 pm »
@kirb1993 Thanks a lot! You'll like the next version!