News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Breath of Fire I hack  (Read 2032 times)

ThegreatBen

• View Profile
Breath of Fire I hack
« on: March 12, 2016, 09:16:32 am »
I've been hacking BoF gba for about a year and I'm anxious to release it but the last thing that I want to do is swap the Shin and Debo spells,

I have 2 save states one in front of each of the two guys that teach those spells.but I just don't know what to do now

Any solution would be acceptable, be it switching the pointer, swapping the spell data, or swapping the entire room

As soon as this is done I can release this, any help would be appreciated.

Time/SpaceMage

• View Profile
Re: Breath of Fire I hack
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2016, 10:51:30 pm »
I don't have an answer for you, but maybe I can help you brainstorm. You mean switching which transformation those two masters teach, right?

If you could find a pointer to the spells taught, that should do it. Maybe you could trace backwards from the spell being added to his spell list, or see if there's event code directly in the dialogue.

ThegreatBen

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2016, 08:55:18 am »
Thanks for responding to my message, switching the pointer sounds like it would work just fine, except I don't have a clue how to do it as I have done everything so far just by searching numbers in my hex editor.

I checked the dialog but both masters use the exact same line before teaching the spell.

I use the visual boy advance debugging emulator, if you could walk me through how to find and change the pointers I would finally be able to release this.

Thanks

ThegreatBen

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2019, 05:03:09 pm »
Been doing more research on this and still want to swap Shin and Debo, but playing with a save state I've found that Karn's fusions, Ryu's dragons and Nina's transformation to blue Nina are all controlled on two bytes.

Bit one is The first 4 dragons bit two is Karns fusions
Shin's value is 1
Debo is 2
Doof is 4
And Puka is 8

Hopefully this gets me a little closer to swapping them.

Fyi bit three is Agni and upgraded nina and bit four is the second 4 dragons.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2019, 12:42:17 pm by ThegreatBen »