News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: My dinky pc runs dolphin, psp bUT not ps2  (Read 772 times)

RomanWarrior

• Pier Solar , Beggar Prince, Wukong ,Star Ody. MINE
    • View Profile
My dinky pc runs dolphin, psp bUT not ps2
« on: February 13, 2019, 08:36:27 pm »
I got a cheap PC unfortunately.  Dnot even remember the GFX card I think nvidia 512

I need newer video card? Recommend?

Thanks in advance

-tsaba3.o.g
Captain Tsubasa 3 , 4th most downloaded Spanish translation.  Possibly the first Jap to Spanish translation instead of English to Spanish. There is no English version yet

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
Re: My dinky pc runs dolphin, psp bUT not ps2
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2019, 09:22:55 pm »
What do you even mean when you say your computer doesn't run PS2?  The system requirements for PCSX2 are stated at https://pcsx2.net/support/links/faq.html#S2Q1 .  It does not appear to require an especially powerful graphics card.

Dnot even remember the GFX card I think nvidia 512
Maybe you should find these things out before you ask for help? :huh: 
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 11:14:12 pm by Jorpho »
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

RomanWarrior

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2019, 10:32:30 pm »
I have 512vram nvidia I am almost 100%sure.

Please what settings that your have for the games please post
Captain Tsubasa 3 , 4th most downloaded Spanish translation.  Possibly the first Jap to Spanish translation instead of English to Spanish. There is no English version yet

Jorpho

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2019, 11:13:44 pm »
You see, that's not helpful.  A lot of NVidia cards have 512MB of VRAM.  What matters is the particular chipset.  If you don't know what these things mean, what does it matter if someone tells you..?

So, are you trying to run PCSX2, or Retroarch, or what? What games are you trying to run? Are they too slow? Do they not display correctly?
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

Sliver X

• EX•CINERIBVS•IGNIS•EXCITABITVR
    • View Profile
    • Panicus - A Fragment of Memory
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2019, 01:26:52 am »
I'm not really sure what to make of PCSX2, to be honest.

I remember running Final Fantasy X fairly decently on my old Core 2 Duo E4300 machine @ 2.4GHz/GeForce 7600 GT yet can't hit a consistent 60FPS on my current Ryzen 2600 @ 3.8GHz/GeForce GTX 1060 for a lot of games (Shadow of the Colossus, Wipeout Fusion, Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance), no matter what combination of plugins and shitty speed hacks I try.

I know the PS2 had some exotic hardware, and the games I've listed are pretty demanding, but god, it really seems to be an unoptimized piece of software. It probably doesn't help that it's still a 32 bit application in 2019.

POWCo-op

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2019, 05:42:49 am »
My 2007 pc runs PS2 well. In fact it's the best working of any video game system I've tried. I'm serious. It could be because I have a four core i5 in there. With only dedicated graphics it runs perfect and it even looks good, somehow. I'm making an educated guess that the code is well optimized for pc. At least for Intel cpus. The team behind it did a bang up job with it. Anyway it always helps to post your pc specs, OP.
Now you're playing in... three dimensions.

mz

• Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2019, 08:15:56 am »
I remember running Final Fantasy X fairly decently on my old Core 2 Duo E4300 machine @ 2.4GHz/GeForce 7600 GT yet can't hit a consistent 60FPS on my current Ryzen 2600 @ 3.8GHz/GeForce GTX 1060 for a lot of games (Shadow of the Colossus, Wipeout Fusion, Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance), no matter what combination of plugins and shitty speed hacks I try.
I believe FFX is one of the easiest PS2 games to run because it only uses the most basic functionality of the system, or so I've read somewhere.

Also, I think your current CPU may have a bit low single thread rating: https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?id=3243 (Mine has ~2350 and IIRC SotC ran at 60 FPS all the time once you overclock the internal PS2 CPU/GPU.)
There has to be a better life.

filler

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • "WINNERS DON'T SELL REPROS"
    • View Profile
    • Filler's Translation Projects
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2019, 12:04:47 pm »

Please what settings that your have for the games please post
Type "dxdiag" into your search box and go to the video tab. You'll see specifics about your video card.

Jorpho

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2019, 10:13:03 pm »
I forgot DXDiag was a thing. Anyway, in Windows 7 it has a "Display" tab, not a "Video" tab.

RomanWarrior

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2019, 02:15:09 pm »
Thank you all that replied

Pentium 2.9ghz , ~2.9ghz
Memory.  4096mb

Wow not Nvidia, I was lied to. Oh well got it cheap.

Intell 1696 mb

That can't be the vram!? That numbers shown on the display tab

Jorpho

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2019, 09:55:34 pm »
Yes, Intel integrated graphics are pretty useless. (I've heard they might have gotten better lately.)  It's surprising you can even run Dolphin.

Almost any cheap NVidia or ATI card would be an improvement, assuming your system at least has a PCI-E slot.

Be advised that if your PC is really that cheap, you might have to get a new power supply as well if you upgrade the graphics card.  If it's really cheap, you might have to be careful about which power supply you buy, because some of them might not fit correctly.  (Look at where the socket on the back is positioned.)

Intell 1696 mb

That can't be the vram!? That numbers shown on the display tab
It seems DXDiag only shows the total memory by default.  You can see the amount of dedicated video memory by going to Screen Resolution -> Advanced Settings.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 10:20:30 pm by Jorpho »