News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: ROM Hacks: Secret of Mana: Relocalized With 100% More Chainsaw!  (Read 5860 times)

RHDNBot

ROM Hacks: Secret of Mana: Relocalized With 100% More Chainsaw!
« on: February 12, 2019, 08:05:12 am »

Update By: Timbo

Secret of Mana: Relocalized now features more than just uncensored and relocalized text and dialogue. Thanks to its new contributor Queue, Relocalized now features restored and uncensored graphics and gameplay elements as well.

Here are some of the major features:

- Death Machine: AKA Kettle Kin gets restored to its full uncensored chainsaw wielding glory. Not only is this a graphical hack, it also rewrites the its AI to perform just as it did in the original Japanese release.

- Teleportation Circles: When Square released this game in 1993 Nintendo of America had strict policies against religious imagery appearing in its titles. The six-pointed stars in the teleportation circles were reduced to triangles. This hack restores them to their original appearance.

- Title Screen Background: When Square ported this game over to English, they butchered the original background image. Because of some graphical problems they cropped the image of the full Mana Tree at its roots and expanded it. The result is a blurry pixelated mess. Relocalized restores the original image.

- Opening Text Crawl: Relocalized updates the opening text crawl to that of the superior HD version.

- Relocalization: The titular feature. This hack takes the game's outdated, awkward, and inaccurate text and script elements and localizes them differently. Just like with FuSoYa's hack before it, Relocalized holds true to the style of beloved 90's Squaresoft translator, Ted Woolsey.

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link

Stifu

• View Profile
Re: ROM Hacks: Secret of Mana: Relocalized With 100% More Chainsaw!
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2019, 03:37:47 pm »
Awesome! It looks like this is the definitive English version of the game.

Snatcher

• Vereor Nox
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2019, 08:12:26 pm »
Thank you for this! I've been translating the enemies and item names myself because I didn't think anyone was interested in doing it anymore. You saved me a lot of time. haha

I'm looking forward to playing SoM again!
"This is a work of fiction. If you find any relation to real people, events, or locations, then you are obviously on crack."
-Kishimoto Masashi

AJDon88

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2019, 10:22:59 pm »
This certainly looks awesome. Will this be compatible with the scroll hack?

darthvaderx

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2019, 02:30:13 am »
Many SoM hacks applied directly after SoM Relocalized v1.4 do not work and crash the game (9-items, scroll, drop tab balance etc), but I managed to get everything worked, simply follow my list:

1-MSU-1 (v1.0) by DarkShock (optional, only if you use the MSU-1 hack)
2-Scroll Hack (v1.0) by Binarynova
3-Proper-caser (v0.1a) by vivify93 (Add Header)
4-Variable Width Font Edition (v1.0) by FuSoYa
5-Drop Table Balance (v1.0) by Kethinov
6-Item Limit Increase (v1.0.0) by Masterflow (Remove Header)
7-Restore Unused Fanfares (v1.1) by Kethinov
8-Level 9 Weapons Progression Balance (v1.2) by Kethinov
9-Better Default Text Boxes (v1.0) by Kethinov
10-Mana Early Luna (1.1) by Kethinov (optional, I do not think it adds much to the game)     
11-Earlier Midge Mallet (v1.0) by Kethinov
12-Relocalized (v1.4) by Timbo

But if you want everything ready, here it is (it does not have the MSU-1 hack that can be applied before and neither does the Mana Early Luna hack that can be applied later):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/659in2v8nuk4l8b/Secret%20of%20Mana%20%28U%29%20%5BRelocalized_1.4%2BHacks%5D.ips?dl=0

Now you have the most complete version of Secret of Mana of all time.
Now just waiting for the completion of the 'SoM turbo' which still includes 'New Gameplay Improvement' to become the definitive version ever ...
(Better than all this only if Nintendo had released the Super Famicom/Super Nintendo CD rom and so the release of the then-planned Secret of Mana CD, but that's another story ...)
Thanks a lot. 8)

EDIT: Do not you think that after all these great SoM projects finished Seiken Desentsu 3/Secret of Mana 2 also would not deserve a new revised translation with a more modern and beautiful font and several bugfixes also? (Ex: Rolante > Laurent.)

« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 04:34:06 pm by darthvaderx »

johnLight

• video games dud....
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2019, 04:31:09 am »
@ darthvaderx :

Did you also patch your rom with the 1-MSU-1 (v1.0) by DarkShock (optional, only if you use the MSU-1 hack) ?

I want to try a MSU1 version of Secret of Mana...

Shade Aurion

• Shadow Keeper
    • View Profile
    • DudeGoBack
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2019, 02:19:47 pm »
Many SoM hacks applied directly after SoM Relocalized v1.4 do not work and crash the game (9-items, scroll, drop tab balance etc), but I managed to get everything worked, simply follow my list:

1-MSU-1 (v1.0) by DarkShock (optional, only if you use the MSU-1 hack)
2-Scroll Hack (v1.0) by Binarynova
3-Proper-caser (v0.1a) by vivify93 (Add Header)
4-Variable Width Font Edition (v1.0) by FuSoYa
5-Drop Table Balance (v1.0) by Kethinov
6-Item Limit Increase (v1.0.0) by Masterflow (Remove Header)
7-Restore Unused Fanfares (v1.1) by Kethinov
9-Better Default Text Boxes (v1.0) by Kethinov
10-Mana Early Luna (1.1) by Kethinov (optional, I do not think it adds much to the game)     
11-Earlier Midge Mallet (v1.0) by Kethinov
12-Relocalized (v1.4) by Timbo

But if you want everything ready, here it is:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/659in2v8nuk4l8b/Secret%20of%20Mana%20%28U%29%20%5BRelocalized_1.4%2BHacks%5D.ips?dl=0

Now you have the most complete version of Secret of Mana of all time.
Now just waiting for the completion of the 'SoM turbo' which still includes 'New Gameplay Improvement' to become the definitive version ever ...
(Better than all this only if Nintendo had released the Super Famicom/Super Nintendo CD rom and so the release of the then-planned Secret of Mana CD, but that's another story ...)
Thanks a lot. 8)

EDIT: Do not you think that after all these great SoM projects finished Seiken Desentsu 3/Secret of Mana 2 also would not deserve a new revised translation with a more modern and beautiful font and several bugfixes also? (Ex: Rolante > Laurent.)

Nice set up! I'm having trouble trying to get my own working so maybe you could give me some pointers? I tried to follow yours and changed it only slightly.

My list is:
1-Proper-caser (v0.1a) by vivify93 (Add Header)
2-Variable Width Font Edition (v1.0) by FuSoYa
3-Item Limit Increase (v1.0.0) by Masterflow (Remove Header)
4-Restore Unused Fanfares (v1.1) by Kethinov
5-Equipment Overhaul (v1.0) by Timbo
9-Earlier Midge Mallet (v1.0) by Kethinov
10-Relocalized (v1.4) by Timbo

I just seem  to always get a black screen no matter what. I removed what I felt was unnecessary as well as Drop Table Balance as it outright deletes a few items. Plus I felt Timbo's Equipment Overhaul did a better job minimizing what was missable. Any help would be greatly appreciated

darthvaderx

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2019, 04:15:18 pm »
I just seem  to always get a black screen no matter what. I removed what I felt was unnecessary as well as Drop Table Balance as it outright deletes a few items. Plus I felt Timbo's Equipment Overhaul did a better job minimizing what was missable. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Did you use the .ips file I provided?

And by chance the rom you used was Secret of Mana (USA).sfc?

Note that from step 1 to 2 must be without header. from 3 to 5 with header and from 6 to 12 without header again, did you follow this correctly?

If you want I can send you my own rom already patched.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 04:39:38 pm by darthvaderx »

Stifu

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2019, 04:25:37 pm »

Yeah, it's always possible to improve it... although each change might not please everyone, as always.
One other thing that could be done is try to backport the fixes that the European release benefited from. Or simply fix bugs that were in all releases. There's an endless list of things that could be done, but anyway, I'm glad for all the work that led to this nice patch.

darthvaderx

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2019, 04:27:04 pm »
@ darthvaderx :

Did you also patch your rom with the 1-MSU-1 (v1.0) by DarkShock (optional, only if you use the MSU-1 hack) ?

I want to try a MSU1 version of Secret of Mana...

It is not included in the file that I made available, but just apply the MSU-1 patch before.
It will work perfectly.

Q

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • Meow, busy hackers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2019, 09:40:30 pm »
Oh, my goodness, look at that title screen! I hope to play through this eventually (soon?).
Sneko, the Super Nintendo Entertainment Kitty, wishes you luck.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2019, 09:53:57 pm »
A couple of questions about that patch list:

1. Isn't VWF Edition redundant?  Applying redundant patches only results in bad mojo, I wouldn't do that.
2. Same with Proper-Caser, because it looks like some things are properly cased (protag's name).

I'm no stranger to big lists of patches, but I'm just making sure.

Shade Aurion

• Shadow Keeper
    • View Profile
    • DudeGoBack
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2019, 12:15:37 am »
Did you use the .ips file I provided?

And by chance the rom you used was Secret of Mana (USA).sfc?

Note that from step 1 to 2 must be without header. from 3 to 5 with header and from 6 to 12 without header again, did you follow this correctly?

If you want I can send you my own rom already patched.

Oh, your compilation IPS works totally fine my dude but I did want to remove and replace a few hacks. Specifically the drop table hack as I don't want any items deleted and feel Timbo's equipment overhaul is probably a better way to go about things. I essentially slotted it in where I thought it would be best to apply it before lv 9 weapons and Relocalized as I feel like they'd edit code related to equipment, chests and shops possibly. Plus Equipment Overhaul requires an unheadered rom too. I just can't figure out why it won't work.

I like your compilation and it actually inspired me to make my own in preparation of a full Let's Play. I was more wondering if you could see anything wrong with my line up because i've tried a few combinations and can't figure out why it just says no. And yeah I add and remove headers pretty willy nilly. I'm pretty experienced in modding at this stage, its just sometimes stacking hacks can get confusing lol and when you're trying to build your own "definitive edition" incompatibilities can be a bother XD

AJDon88

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2019, 12:59:12 am »

Excuse my ignorance, but am i correct in saying that if all I wanted was the relocalisation and scroll hack, I would simply first apply the Scroll Hack, and then apply the relocalisation. Is that correct?

Hiei-

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2019, 07:47:23 am »
I think you forgot to credits the guys who did the original boss hack.

I would hardly believe the boss hack have been done from scratch when I send you our modifications for analyzing (not to mention the hack is not just a paste of data, it require a complete analyze of the boss IA and implementation of this IA in the western version) and you said at that time that the guy was analyzing the modifications with a debugger (copy-pasting is a bit different from doing a whole hack).

Same for the intro hack. At first, you credited it but the credit has dissapeared (it still in the readme but it's credited with my nickname, when the real credit should goes to BahaBulle).

BahaBulle is the one who made the intro hack, as well as the boss hack implementation (and in the boss hack, I did all the debugging of the IA with the explanations he gave me)

I just saw this credit on the page:

Bahabulle: Created the tools used to edit the text crawl.

Which doesn't really make sense as he only worked on the intro. Other texts of my hack were done by another guy and you didn't use any of my other texts.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2019, 07:57:04 am by Hiei- »

darthvaderx

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2019, 10:46:12 am »
A couple of questions about that patch list:

1. Isn't VWF Edition redundant?  Applying redundant patches only results in bad mojo, I wouldn't do that.
2. Same with Proper-Caser, because it looks like some things are properly cased (protag's name).

I'm no stranger to big lists of patches, but I'm just making sure.

I'll give you the same answer I gave in the other SoM Relocalized topic:

But for some reason if I had not put those redundant hacks before, others like 9 Items, Drop Table Balance etc would make the game crash after I added Relocalized 1.4, strange ...

Before the release of the Relocalized hack, it was this list of hacks that worked for me, only needed to apply the Relocalized patch after it continued to work perfectly, but I tried to apply Relocalized first and then later hacks like 9-items and Drop table balance and they all gave problems.
You can try to remove one or another item from the list and try to see if it continues working, as this combination is working for me, I'd rather leave it as it is.

« Last Edit: February 14, 2019, 11:57:12 am by darthvaderx »

Warrax

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2019, 10:48:19 am »
Looking pretty good, this might be the definite edition to play SoM.

Does it work with Secret of Mana Ancient Cave? (SoM Randomizer)

darthvaderx

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2019, 10:57:24 am »
Excuse my ignorance, but am i correct in saying that if all I wanted was the relocalisation and scroll hack, I would simply first apply the Scroll Hack, and then apply the relocalisation. Is that correct?

In that case either way, the problem of the Scroll hack I was having was when mixed with others, then you can apply it before or after only with the Relocalized hack without problem, in fact try your own combination until you find the one that works the most.

February 14, 2019, 11:36:19 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
I just can't figure out why it won't work.

I tried your list here and it worked perfectly. See for yourself:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ib79m3eur4rvtwy/Secret%20of%20Mana%20%28USA%29%20%28Hacks%29.ips?dl=0
« Last Edit: February 14, 2019, 11:38:15 am by darthvaderx »

AJDon88

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2019, 03:07:35 pm »
In that case either way, the problem of the Scroll hack I was having was when mixed with others, then you can apply it before or after only with the Relocalized hack without problem, in fact try your own combination until you find the one that works the most.]

Awesome! Many thanks!

Shade Aurion

• Shadow Keeper
    • View Profile
    • DudeGoBack
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2019, 03:10:00 pm »
In that case either way, the problem of the Scroll hack I was having was when mixed with others, then you can apply it before or after only with the Relocalized hack without problem, in fact try your own combination until you find the one that works the most.

February 14, 2019, 11:36:19 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
I tried your list here and it worked perfectly. See for yourself:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ib79m3eur4rvtwy/Secret%20of%20Mana%20%28USA%29%20%28Hacks%29.ips?dl=0

This is seriously odd. Your combo IPS works perfectly but when I do it manually it just won't. If I do your list manually it works but mine won't. I'm sure i'm not missing anything or forgetting to remove or add headers when necessary O_O

But thanks to you it works like a charm. This will likely be the version I use to Let's Play so thank you so much and i'll likely give you a shout out or mention you in the first episode description when I give my list of hacks <3