News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Translations: Undercover Cops English Translation Released  (Read 1049 times)

RHDNBot

Translations: Undercover Cops English Translation Released
« on: February 07, 2019, 05:47:10 pm »

Update By: Jonny

This game does not have too much text, it's mostly for the intro and the endings. There are 3 characters you can play as, but if you choose Rosa and get the good ending, it also shows the lyrics for the song Tokimeki Street during the credits.

I always liked the graphics of this game (made by developers of the Metal Slug series) and it features one of the weirdest bosses to fight against aka Fransowors.

It's 2043 and Dr. Crayborn and his gang have taken control of New York's
streets. The city mayor has made one last plea for help and called three of the
finest City Sweepers: Zan, an ex-karate master; Matt, an ex-professional
football player and Rosa, the only female vigilante whose boyfriend was killed
by villains. They must fight the gang and eliminate Dr. Crayborn in order to
restore peace to the city.

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link

Q

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • Meow, busy hackers!
    • View Profile
Re: Translations: Undercover Cops English Translation Released
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2019, 09:59:27 pm »
Awesome work. I played a couple levels last night. I didn't notice an option for a co-op mode; is there one if you plug in a second controller?
Sneko, the Super Nintendo Entertainment Kitty, wishes you luck.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2019, 12:12:47 am »
No, sadly two-player mode didn't make the cut in this one. Would have to play the arcade original if you want that.

(seems to be a thing with SNES beat-em-ups to cut multiplayer and/or a significant amount of playable characters.
Ghost Chaser Densei also cut half its cast. I read about another game called Death Brade that is apparently a pretty crappy port of a ????-quality arcade game. :P Like beyond the usual "cut a few characters or animations or moves" that was pretty commonplace among 16-bit ports.)
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

CrocMagnum

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2019, 01:17:25 pm »
Thank you, Rpgone! :)

No, sadly two-player mode didn't make the cut in this one. Would have to play the arcade original if you want that.

(seems to be a thing with SNES beat-em-ups to cut multiplayer and/or a significant amount of playable characters.
Ghost Chaser Densei also cut half its cast. I read about another game called Death Brade that is apparently a pretty crappy port of a ????-quality arcade game. :P Like beyond the usual "cut a few characters or animations or moves" that was pretty commonplace among 16-bit ports.)

Well! Even the arcade version of Undercover Cops has issues ^^:

Thoses responsible of the US Localization have censored the game (as usual for the time sadly) cut the excellent music and worst of all deprived the characters of some of their moves! Baffling!

So the US arcade version is rather lackluster compared to it's Japanese counterpart.

In 2007 some arcade fan released a complete uncensored arcade US version with the original music and the full moveset. This version is called:

Undercover Cops Alpha Renewal

Pity the world if you fail Spirit Monk, for you are the last. (Jade Empire)

moritasan2040

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2019, 05:04:05 am »
I don't know what this game is, but the more Japan-only games that are translated into English, the better. :D

One think I'd like to point out, tho, is the awkward grammar in the screenshot. It should say...
"You did well to get this far as just a City Sweeper," (mainly, no comma after "far")
"but now I am preparing to use my nuclear bomb."
Or if you want to make the two separate, then a "However," would probably work better than "But".

butane bob

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2019, 06:19:47 am »
*Edit* I'm an idiot someone already mentioned it above...
The arcade version you want to play is the "Alpha Renewal" version. It's the complete finished version of the game and contains more moves and more animation etc than any of the others.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2019, 08:29:48 pm »
The weirdest thing is that on the Game Boy they turned it into a board/card game.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018