News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Replacing Japanese text with English text in Brave Fenceer Musashi?  (Read 1174 times)

werewolfslayr925

• View Profile
I love the cheesy English dubs in Brave Fencer Musashi, yet the voice acting in the Japanese version has some great actors and actresses in it. I was wondering about the plausibility of lifting the English written script from the English localization and inserting it into the Japanese version. How easy/difficult would this be?

Also, considering the colloquialisms and accents employed in the localization, I would assume that the English version isn't quite a literal translation. I know that, according to The Cutting Room Floor, all of the drink names and references to alcohol were changed to words relating to soda pop. Are there any other glaring differences?

I suppose the goal here is an undub, but would it be easier to transfer the script from the English version to the Japanese version or to lift the sound files from the Japanese version and insert them into the English version?
As the harbor is welcome to the sailor, so is the last line to the scribe.

- complaint in the margin of a medieval manuscript

mz

• Whore
    • View Profile
Re: Replacing Japanese text with English text in Brave Fenceer Musashi?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2019, 12:22:49 pm »
I suppose the goal here is an undub, but would it be easier to transfer the script from the English version to the Japanese version or to lift the sound files from the Japanese version and insert them into the English version?
Changing the sound files is usually a ~billion times easier.

How hard it actually is depends on the game and you have to investigate each game yourself.
There has to be a better life.

4l3j4ndr0

• Gameboy Color Rules!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2019, 01:42:25 am »
Take in mind English text is double or triple size than Japanese characters, they have to make another coding treatment to released the English version so I doubt English and Japanese shares a compatible script system. That's why they have different file size.

But, hey! maybe we are wrong and you should extract the files of your game and try the swap to see if that works.

The audio swap sounds more correct, but again, you should try to see if works for you.
In any case I'm worried about text and audio timing synchronization.

jywjyw

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2019, 06:19:08 am »
It's impossible. Recently I finished BFM Chinese translation,based on Japan version. It can be finished because Chinese text is shorter than Japanese generally, but English text is very long, you cannot adjust text length in this game.