News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Editing sprites colors in Ninja Gaiden 2 & 3  (Read 412 times)

darthvaderx

• View Profile
Editing sprites colors in Ninja Gaiden 2 & 3
« on: February 05, 2019, 09:41:05 pm »
It's easy to change the Ryu Hayabusa sprite colors with a hex editor in Ninja Gaiden 1, simply just find the ​​'07 22 35' values.
But in the case of Ninja Gaiden 2 and 3 is totally different, in NG2 I do not find the values ​​quoted and in NG3 I find them but when I edit simply it does not change the in-game colors.
Someone there could tell me how to change this aspect of these two games? Thanks.

#

• View Profile
Re: Editing sprites colors in Ninja Gaiden 2 & 3
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2019, 09:41:23 am »
In NG 2 (US) the 07 is at 7F11, 22 is at 7F61 and 35 is at 7FB1. They're not next to each other like you'd expect, but there's at 50 hex offset between the values. I'm assuming NG 3 uses a similar system and the sequence you found is just random code that happens to use those values.

sics

• Contact me!
    • View Profile
    • Deviantart: Terwilf
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2019, 12:08:56 pm »
 In NG3 the pallets are in the same place as NG2 :thumbsup:

darthvaderx

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2019, 05:01:24 am »
Thanks.  :thumbsup:

February 11, 2019, 08:56:46 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
In NG3 the character begins with the edited color but when it touches an enemy and blinks it returns to the original color that changes again in the stage transition, there is another value referring to the 7 that has to be changed.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 08:57:39 pm by darthvaderx »

sics

• Contact me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2019, 09:53:11 pm »
  That value is found in A35B.

■ How did I find it ?, I really assumed that if I changed a value in the palette it had to be accompanied by a command to do that, like for example A9, a2, a0 which are respectively LDA, LDX and LDY (Load in XX)

■ With that idea in mind I decided to start looking A907 voilà! I clarify that surely there are many flaws in my logic and I would really appreciate knowing a more orthodox method, but you do what you can with what you have! :thumbsup:

darthvaderx

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2019, 11:13:25 pm »
Thanks again Sics.  :beer:
All this work just to achieve this simple results:

After all, we are no longer in the CRT era where companies had to do these tricks how to highlight the characters' colors in relation to the scenario for better visualization, thanks again. :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 07:48:57 am by darthvaderx »

sics

• Contact me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2019, 03:47:51 pm »
 No work is in vain, I also do not think it's simple, I started in the same way, but with Batman games, I hope you keep doing hacks, congratulations!

darthvaderx

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2019, 05:25:57 pm »
About Batman I made a small and easy modification because I liked the 'Black' versions of it, 'Batman The Videogame' and 'Return of the Joker' already had their hacks here in the RHDN, but it lacked 'Batman Returns':

sics

• Contact me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2019, 06:35:10 pm »
 At first I was going to do something similar in gray, but when I realized that I was not the only one with that initiative he bored me :laugh:

To think that there are hundreds of hacks that only remain in the hands of their creators, there should be a dedicated section for them :D