News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: NES Goonies II Revised Design  (Read 6245 times)

CountBuggula

• View Profile
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Re: NES Goonies II Revised Design
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2019, 03:16:52 pm »
I like the ladder changes, but changes to the jump mechanics would change the gameplay too much, I think. It feels a bit like castlevania, you commit to your jump decisions. But you can make small adjustments.
This would be a good optional patch, I think.  Many people have different opinions about control difficulty.  Personally, I find the improved jump control hacks for the NES Castlevania games to be absolutely essential and I love them.  I beat Goonies II when I was a kid using default controls, but I don't feel the need to punish myself when I want to revisit some of these old games for nostalgia, when I've gotten so used to improved control schemes in newer games.

Wow, impressive and amazing job, I hope we'll be able to combine this hack with the SRAM hack to get the perfect version of the game
Agree, I would hate to have to choose between these.  Please make sure it's compatible.

Is there some censorship in the game ? I remember there was something special Japanese only included in the Japanese version of the game.
According to The Cutting Room Floor none of the regional differences were censorship related.  I'd love to have a better localization or a proper retranslation though.

Great job putting all this together so far.  I really look forward to trying it, and good luck with further improvements!

8.bit.fan

• View Profile
    • 8-bit fan's Hacking Projects
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2019, 01:23:38 pm »
This is AMAZING nesrocks!! :D
I've been so busy with updating my FF4 Ultima hack that I haven't been looking around much...but this caught my eyes because this is one of my absolutely favorite Metroidvanias! (before the whole metroidvania thing even came about! ;) )

Love some of the stuff especially the Camera and the Select to toggle between the shoes! These are godsend!

However, there are 2 items I'm not too sure about and hope these will be optional patches:

- Cannot move the hand or the hammer when hitting in rooms. Just use the item and if there's something to appear, it will. I figured this made a better game design. Because if you don't know where to hit you'd just have to hit everywhere until you're lucky. There are no hints as to where to hit. So it was just boring. Even if you know where to hit it is just boring. I've made it quicker by doing this so the player can focus on the gameplay.
I understand what you are trying to do here, but for me personally, I find moving the hand/hammer around kind of fun in the rooms. And before you mentioned this, I actually didn't know there are only 1 item possible in each room, so each time I play I actually use the hand, hammer, and all other items in each room just to make sure I get everything.
- Only need to hit the lady once instead of five times.
Similar to my take above, this feels like part of the game/fun. But that's just me personally. :)

You should also add SRAM saving option to the hack. You've done it for Super Pitfall before so I'm sure you know how to do it! If not, feel free to use my SRAM saving hack and incorporate that! :)

Cheers!! :beer: :thumbsup:

8-bit fan
In the year of 200X, a super robot named Mega Man...
http://www.8bitfan.info/

CountBuggula

• View Profile
    • Fate of the Galaxy
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2019, 02:00:30 pm »
Nesrocks, have you been able to look into combining the sram saving hack into yours?  I've started playing this hack and love the changes you've made, but am hoping to be able to save my game before I get too far into it.

As I understand it, the graphics in Goonies II are compressed and not easy to change or update.  If the technical problems were worked out, do you have any desire to do any improvements here?  While the background graphics are gorgeous and in my opinion some of the best on the NES, the player and NPC sprites definitely leave something to be desired.  I would love to see what you could do with them.

Also, I'm really looking forward to your Ghostbusters hack - it's such a drastic improvement and I can't wait to be able to try it.

sics

• Contact me!
    • View Profile
    • Deviantart: Terwilf
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2019, 05:13:55 pm »
 I do not know if it will be relevant information but the YY-CHR 0.99 beta partially supports the Konami format:

(Input Address: 00015cc2)
« Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 09:48:43 pm by sics »

Tom

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2019, 10:31:54 am »
I can't change the graphics, they are all compressed : /

But what can be done is for the open arms frame to be removed. That way she's covered at all times, but less animated. Or, it could be replaced with another frame, so the frames change as much as the original, but it is less varied (I don't remember how many different frames there are).

I don't think it's necessary. There's nothing to censor. The mermaid looks like an eight year old.

nesrocks

• View Profile
    • nesrocks.com
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2019, 10:36:03 am »
mermaid: True, I had never noticed and it was hard to see even when I knew what to look for. It happens too quickly. So I agree not to change it.

sram: It's not going to be too easy. I've been playing on the everdrive n8 which has built in savestates so I didn't feel a lot of need for it. And passwords still work. So I don't think I want to add it, but if someone does then I can provide the fceux debug files which have a lot of the ROM mapped.

graphics: I tried doing that. Is it a dll? I downloaded a nes konami salamander dll but it didn't work. Where did you get that one? edit: it doesn't seem to accept editing compressed graphics, only viewing them.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 10:49:40 am by nesrocks »

dACE

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2019, 11:47:25 am »
How about this utility: https://www.romhacking.net/utilities/554/

If the compression is the same for Goonies II - I'm pretty sure I could write you a better utility in .NET (if needed).

EDIT: Also found this: https://www.romhacking.net/documents/163/

This document indicates that GraveyardDuck should work for Goonies II - i.e. the compression algorithm seems to match.

Downside with compression is of course that more ’detail’ compress worser - which might be cumbersome if you want to add detail/shading to the GFX.

/dACE
« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 12:45:43 pm by dACE »

sics

• Contact me!
    • View Profile
    • Deviantart: Terwilf
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2019, 10:27:08 pm »
Nesrocks
 It's a shame, I love your style, regarding your question, I got this version of the application from the official website, but apparently it was discontinued, on the other hand the DLL it uses is the same as you mentioned :thumbsup:

Note: I had to embed the English translation to work correctly.

uVSthem

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2019, 10:41:58 am »
Is there any way to use the SRAM Saving Edition patch http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3604/ with the Revised Design patch? Whenever I try the two together the roms glitches out when I try to play it.

CountBuggula

• View Profile
    • Fate of the Galaxy
« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2019, 06:00:18 pm »
Is there any way to use the SRAM Saving Edition patch http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3604/ with the Revised Design patch? Whenever I try the two together the roms glitches out when I try to play it.
sram: It's not going to be too easy. I've been playing on the everdrive n8 which has built in savestates so I didn't feel a lot of need for it. And passwords still work. So I don't think I want to add it, but if someone does then I can provide the fceux debug files which have a lot of the ROM mapped.

Just a few posts up from yours.