Thanks for the comments! About the text, I have already prepared a second pointers list for messages, so it just might be possible to get rid of all the repeated messages in the game and have unique ones, even for the transceiver. Gotta map out the message events in the entire game for this, which may take a while.
pits of death
Pits of death?
What is the reasoning behind this change? It's been a while since I last played the game.
It is a lot more practical now to switch to the jump shoes temporarily instead of having to press start and navigate to the icons and changing. Now it's just a press of the select button in real time during gameplay.
Is this referring to how the forward and backward controls are switched when on the parallel/backside map?
Humm? It refers to how when selecting the items in the "tools" sub menu inside rooms works intuitivelly now, as opposed to a simple list that is visually distributed in 2x2 and that you can only go in one direction (down). If you play the original game and you get all 4 items from the first tools page you will see (the candle, hammer, ladder and key holder). Only the down button works, and it cycles through all 4 items. You can't really select them intuitivelly. I've added a lot of asm code to make it work now. If you press left/right the curson moves horizontally (provided you have the item next to it), or up/down likewise.
- It would be nice if the P&C adventure segment rooms had persistent changes. Found doors in the adventure segments disappear once you leave the room (so you have to re-find them if you need to take the same path again), and unlocked safes are also relocked and you need to reuse the ladder and candle in the same way.
This is an awesome idea. Need to check if it is possible without expanding the rom (I'm running out of space on the fixed bank), but it might.
- It would've been useful to be able to attack upwards on ladders since enemies tend to hang out near where you're climbing to. Otherwise you could change spawning points for those enemies or the rooms so it's easier to avoid them.
It would be cool to use the boomberang for that. Otherwise I think it change the game too much. Would the yoyo attack upwards on the ladders? Then why not on the ground? And wouldn't up+B throw a bomb from the ladder?
- Less specific positioning required when bombing the wall to find the hyper shoes so that you don't miss it slightly and then discard that room.
This is something I felt too, but I didn't look into it. I'll check it out. But the hyper shoes are one of the items I've marked on the map, so the player will know to look for it. The other blastable doors are for extra lives, so I didn't mark them.
- It would be good if the hammer was multi-purpose. It doesn't make sense that you can't hit walls with it to produce the same effect as when you're hitting them with your fist,
I don't know, they serve different purposes. The hand is for finding items, the hammer is for finding doors and passages. One thing I thought about doing was to not even show the hammer. When the player selects the hammer from the menu it works like selecting any of the other items, the effect happens instantly. But I wasn't sure about that, so I kept the hammer visuals in and the requirement to hit afterwards.
- Found doors and warp zones could show up on the map so you don't need to make your own notes if you play over a longer period of time
This one is a problem because I don't know how to edit the graphics, as they are compressed, so I can't create a new map tile graphic. All I can use are the three graphics: white square, white square with red dot and white square with blue dot.
- Control stuff that could be better: no jump height adjustment, can't turn around in mid-air, can't jump on to or off of ladders
I like the ladder changes, but changes to the jump mechanics would change the gameplay too much, I think. It feels a bit like castlevania, you commit to your jump decisions. But you can make small adjustments.
- Maybe hard to do but it would be cool if you could get back the boomerang from thieves if you kill them
This would be good yes. While they are chewing it it should be possible to kill them and retrieve. But it may be difficult to find free space and program it indeed.
- Some kind of final showdown with the Fratellis or other build-up before the end would be cool
Hummm... Yeah. I can only think it would work in the form of a room with the existing fratelli enemies, maybe with a different palette and more health. But that is way over budget for the free space.
- I don't remember if this one is a big deal, but the magic locator doesn't show up in your inventory
This sounds nice. It could show up in place of the corresponding goonie to be saved until he/she is saved.
- Simply for convenience, enemies could stop dropping an item type when your inventory is full of it
Yeah this would be good. Also keys could drop more often, I feel they are too rare to drop. I guess I'll look into that.