News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Secret of Mana, Turbo - Beta 201029  (Read 362713 times)

hmsong

• View Profile
Re: Secret of Mana, Turbo - Beta 200818
« Reply #1560 on: August 18, 2020, 06:45:16 pm »
Woo.  An update.  Thanks.

SD3 has a lot of problem due to graphical issues.  Specifically, because of its graphic using a lot of power, the game is forced to use the "freeze the screen when spell is cast".  In addition, if you keep playing the game without resetting (ie using save state), it'll just crash.  There's both pros and cons of having beautiful graphic.

Personally, I actually like SoM graphic.  Sure, it's not as beautiful as SD3, but it gives the retro feeling and lightheartedness.  SD3 is dark and grim, which is why such graphic is fitting.

mkwong98

• View Profile
Re: Secret of Mana, Turbo - Beta 200818
« Reply #1561 on: August 20, 2020, 07:53:54 am »
You're wondering that in general? If so, probably, it should be possible to adjust palettes and replace some art assets. The constraints on the art (bit depth, available palette entries) should be similar.

If you're wondering if I would do that, then no, that doesn't interest me. I think Trials of Mana is beautiful, its art is one of its strong points, but it also is very different from Secret of Mana's style and likely wouldn't look good in contrast to what isn't replaced.

I tried using the SOM Editor and managed to replace the rabite with the one from SD3 but had little success with the background tiles. If there is no compression, then I can try editing the graphics with Tile Layer Pro.

Queue

• View Profile
Re: Secret of Mana, Turbo - Beta 200901
« Reply #1562 on: August 26, 2020, 02:30:25 am »
Version 2020-08-25:
https://filebin.net/7spaiz2xfys6b2i1/SoM_Turbo.200825.zip

Changes:
- Hammered out Miscellaneous\Enable_Matango_Caves_Trap over morning coffee, was slightly easier than I expected (the trap intentionally resets when you leave the cave)
- Further code optimization to the ZPS Patcher, without version change (I hate doing that, but it's a ton of work to change the version number; this is likely the final round of changes to the patcher for the time being)

Version 2020-09-01:
https://filebin.net/7spaiz2xfys6b2i1/SoM_Turbo.200901.zip

Changes:
- Implemented Miscellaneous\No_Drum_Respawn; prevents the Flammie Drum from respawning enemies during the fly-away sequence
- Implemented Bug_Fixes\Blue_Sky_Blink_Fix; fixes the brief full-screen blue sky that occurs at the start of the upward pan when using the Flammie Drum
- Added event command \tint_stop@ (unlike \tint_stop, it immediately clears any color tint); this is a vanilla event command, it just wasn't available via symbol
- Removed event command \goto* (it needs special formatting, so only \event__\goto* is supported going forward); this isn't a vanilla event command
- Fixed Day_Night_Cycle incrementing time of day when using the Flammie Drum due to how the Flammie Drum reloads the map; it now always waits until after you land
- Integrated Blue_Sky_Blink_Fix into Day_Night_Cycle
- Minor cleanup to some NGI debug code
- Added bank 0xCF (probably) unused data to Technical\Overwrite_Unused_Data
« Last Edit: September 01, 2020, 04:55:00 pm by Queue »

Pethronos

• View Profile
« Reply #1563 on: September 03, 2020, 06:48:23 am »
Wow, really, your determination in making this project the closest to perfection is absolutely inspiring. So many features and so openly customizable make this project one of the most important and enjoyable of the entire romhacking history. Congratulations and thanks for all the meticulous work put in it!!

Omedru

• View Profile
« Reply #1564 on: September 05, 2020, 05:43:34 am »
Awesome project! It's pretty hard to know what has been changed at this point but I want to try it out.

Should I apply the latest version of the patch to a rom?
And can this be run on a SNES Classic Mini without crashes?

Thank you for this awesome work on my favorite game of all time!

Queue

• View Profile
« Reply #1565 on: September 05, 2020, 01:59:01 pm »
Quote from: Omedru
Should I apply the latest version of the patch to a rom?
That's always what I'd suggest. Regressions have been rare, and generally nothing is removed, so newest versions have everything that came before plus more.

Quote from: Omedru
And can this be run on a SNES Classic Mini without crashes?
While I haven't tested on an SNES Classic since last year, I'm not aware of anything new in Turbo that should be incompatible with it. If you enable Technical\Generate_SFROM_File (it's at the very bottom, second from last), the patching process should also produce an SFROM file that's ready for use. If you don't, and want to use sfrom Tool (etc.), Preset ID needs to be 10B0 (the standard Secret of Mana Preset ID), otherwise menus won't look right.

lexluthermiester

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1566 on: September 06, 2020, 07:40:45 am »
While I haven't tested on an SNES Classic since last year, I'm not aware of anything new in Turbo that should be incompatible with it. If you enable Technical\Generate_SFROM_File (it's at the very bottom, second from last), the patching process should also produce an SFROM file that's ready for use. If you don't, and want to use sfrom Tool (etc.), Preset ID needs to be 10B0 (the standard Secret of Mana Preset ID), otherwise menus won't look right.
Good info. I upload updates to my SNES Classic regularly and haven't had any issues.

Greensad

• View Profile
« Reply #1567 on: September 08, 2020, 10:36:54 am »
Incredible! :thumbsup: I hope my first playthrough will be as much fun as following your development and commitment to this project was.

Omedru

• View Profile
« Reply #1568 on: September 08, 2020, 05:24:43 pm »
Thanks for the info ;D

Queue

• View Profile
Re: Secret of Mana, Turbo - Beta 200908
« Reply #1569 on: September 08, 2020, 06:06:38 pm »
Version 2020-09-08:
https://filebin.net/7spaiz2xfys6b2i1/SoM_Turbo.200908.zip

Changes:
- Fixed some unintentionally bright tiles in a house in Northtown caused by Tidy_Map_Pieces
- Fixed faulty changed Highstepper animation caused by Whip_Post_Fix
- Implemented Graphics\Manicured_Monsters; fixes various graphical issues for the following enemies:
-- Lullabud / Trap Flower
-- Dark Funk / LA Funk
-- Tomato Man / Eggplant Man
-- Imp / Gremlin

Queue

• View Profile
Re: Secret of Mana, Turbo - Beta 200920
« Reply #1570 on: September 20, 2020, 07:15:27 pm »
Version 2020-09-20:
https://filebin.net/7spaiz2xfys6b2i1/SoM_Turbo.200920.zip

Changes:
- Implemented Miscellaneous\Enable_Kilroy_Door

Alters the Kilroy entrance event to make use of the large doors that can open and close in his arena; I didn't test this as much as I'd have liked. Starting from a save just before the fight it works, but I'm not sure if he behaves consistently under all circumstances.

Mr X

• View Profile
Re: Secret of Mana, Turbo - Beta 200920
« Reply #1571 on: September 24, 2020, 06:32:01 am »
Went and tried it from the beginning, the scene played normally with no issues.

I love when unused stuff gets implented like with the Mega Xorn bite attack or the Death Machine using a saw, now these doors being used.

Queue

• View Profile
Re: Secret of Mana, Turbo - Beta 200929
« Reply #1572 on: September 29, 2020, 07:20:03 pm »
Version 2020-09-29:
https://filebin.net/7spaiz2xfys6b2i1/SoM_Turbo.200929.zip

Changes:
- Added Basilisk to Graphics\Manicured_Monsters; fixed glitchy sneeze graphics
- Implemented Bug_Fixes\Final_Fight_Graphics; resolves some vanilla graphical oddities during the final boss fight and prevents screen scrolling (to resolve Scroll_Hack issues)
- Rewrote Bug_Fixes\Ice_Country_Neko_Landing; save file loading code can now use the incorrect value saved when landing from flight directly at a save point
- Implemented Bug_Fixes\Soft_Reset_Reinit; fixes a bug in vanilla soft reset code (L+R+START+SELECT) that would cause temporary variables to not be zeroed out (which was generally combined with the Ice_Country_Neko_Landing save bug)
- Improved Technical\Safe_Save_State to also disallow pausing during Lime Slime and Dread Slime (all three Mode 7 bosses had UI breaking issues if pause was allowed)
- Improved Bug_Fixes\Boss_Rendering_Fix to include Lime Slime and Dread Slime; this should mean all bosses now render correctly with Scroll_Hack, finally
- Improved Bug_Fixes\Tidy_Map_Pieces to include the dandelion tile in Pure Land that had graphical issues when shaded by the tree shadow layer (the broken column tile remains but cannot be fixed in the same way)

Technical Changes:
- Added more data to Technical\Overwrite_Unused_Data in banks $D8 and $C0 (!)
- Renamed some text symbols in relation to work being done on the retranslation project:
 Spell.Name.Earth_Slide -> Spell.Name.Earth_Slide*
 Spell.Desc.Earth_Slide -> Spell.Desc.Earth_Slide*
 Spell.Text.Earth_Slide -> Spell.Name.Earth_Slide
 Spell.Info.Earth_Slide -> Spell.Desc.Earth_Slide
 SSE.Name.Extended.Black.2.3 -> SSE.Name.Extended.Black.2.3*
 SSE.Text.Extended.Black.1.1 -> SSE.Name.Extended.Black.1.1
 and so on
 SSE.Text.Extended.Extra.1-9 left as-is

Some of the stuff in this update is rather complex but hopefully bug-free.

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #1573 on: September 29, 2020, 11:18:44 pm »
- Improved Technical\Safe_Save_State to also disallow pausing during Lime Slime and Dread Slime (all three Mode 7 bosses had UI breaking issues if pause was allowed)

I find this a bit questionable. Removing a game feature for the sake of a problematic emulator feature seems like it should be optional if included at all.

Queue

• View Profile
« Reply #1574 on: September 29, 2020, 11:31:15 pm »
It's not what you think.

The vanilla game doesn't have this pause, it's a mod-added feature. It's not the normal SoM ring menu, but pressing the start button when singleplayer.

It's the mod-added pausing that breaks during the three Mode 7 graphics boss fights (the two giant slimes and final boss), not anything related to emulator save states. More specifically, it causes the HUD to break (stop rendering) until you change area.

The "Safe Save State" naming is because if you save state during this mod-added pause, you can safely repatch (or revert to pure vanilla!) the ROM (with different features enabled), load the state, and be able to unpause and continue, which is an atypical capability for a save state. Usually loading a save state under those circumstances would cause a crash.

hmsong

• View Profile
« Reply #1575 on: September 29, 2020, 11:57:10 pm »
Boy, it's been a long time since I posted anything here.

I've been busy creating patches for SD3, mostly for my own amusement, since I seem to have run out of things to do (too much free time, apparently).  And I only have MapJester to help with SD3, so I had to experiment a lot.  Well, I also had lots of help from Sin of Mana guy.  I'm almost done with my one final patch, and after that, I'm probably gonna be done.

Anyhow, I see you've been busy too.  Lots of new cool stuff.  I'll start experimenting the new versions soon enough.

One thing though.  You know how in the final fight against Mana Beast, it either comes down or floats up?  Is it possible to speed up that movement? (a lot)  Mana Beast is a sitting duck when it's floating up, since it literally can't do anything, all the while being vulnerable to Mana Sword.  If that's impossible, then could you make it so that it will only descent from the top?  I tried to look into Mana Beast codes, but I honestly couldn't figure it out.

I prefer both speed up and descent.

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #1576 on: October 01, 2020, 04:47:33 am »
It's not what you think.

The vanilla game doesn't have this pause, it's a mod-added feature. It's not the normal SoM ring menu, but pressing the start button when singleplayer.

It's the mod-added pausing that breaks during the three Mode 7 graphics boss fights (the two giant slimes and final boss), not anything related to emulator save states. More specifically, it causes the HUD to break (stop rendering) until you change area.

The "Safe Save State" naming is because if you save state during this mod-added pause, you can safely repatch (or revert to pure vanilla!) the ROM (with different features enabled), load the state, and be able to unpause and continue, which is an atypical capability for a save state. Usually loading a save state under those circumstances would cause a crash.

Ah! Gotcha. Sounds good then. I want to try this beast out soon.

StarWyvwern

• Family first, then gaming and music.
    • View Profile
    • Souncloud
« Reply #1577 on: October 12, 2020, 12:15:00 am »
 Hey I don't know if this has happened to anyone else, or if it has already been addressed but there is a serious sound issue with my patched rom. Music has alot of horrible noises in it. :(  What do I do?
Insert "Witty Text" here.

Queue

• View Profile
« Reply #1578 on: October 12, 2020, 04:16:28 am »
Well, first off I double-checked and music sounds normal in any emulators I tested in (Mesen-S, ZSNES, Snes9x), so my first thought is it's the emulator you're using. I haven't had any emulator conflict reports in a while, but the most common issues came from various builds of Snes9x. Specific old buggy builds of Snes9x had trouble with Technical\Enable_FastROM in particular (though never a build of Snes9x I tested personally; if anyone can point me to a Snes9x build, that I'm capable of running, where Enable_FastROM causes problems, I might be able to come up with some sort of workaround).

Sooo...
Try disabling Technical\Enable_FastROM, and see if that affects the music.
And please post as much detail on which specific emulator you're using (or if on real SNES hardware, details on real hardware setup).

Pethronos

• View Profile
« Reply #1579 on: October 12, 2020, 04:25:12 am »
My original post before Queue's answer: StarWyvwern, if you are using an old Snes9x, uncheck the "Enable FastRom" option in Technical section. I think it should be enough ;D

Queue, that annoying sound issues happened to me while using the PSP's Snes9xtyl emulator, until I tried unchecking that option, and the problem was gone :D