News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Secret of Mana, Turbo - Beta 200706  (Read 303285 times)

Mr X

• View Profile
Re: Secret of Mana, Turbo - Beta 200229
« Reply #1200 on: March 05, 2020, 06:36:50 am »
Hm, I'm not sure why the background color (the sky) failed to get color filtering applied. Here's a screenshot I just took at the same location:

That's in Mesen-S; I also saw the expected results in ZSNES. Not sure yet if it's actually an emulator issue, just mentioning in case.

I've never really looked at the weapon experience logic, but that sounds like something I want to fix. If I recall correctly, the Mana Magic damage bonus does benefit from 8:99 (for the boy only, for obvious reasons), but that should be the only thing that cares about partial weapon experience.

And here's a preview of what I've been working on (for like 2 months):

I tried again and the sky now looks completely normal, not sure what could have caused that. I use Snes9x.

kethinov

• View Profile
« Reply #1201 on: March 05, 2020, 06:59:56 am »
Does approaching it from the south (climbing the mountain) or the north (exiting Joch's cave) affect it at all? IIRC which door you approach from affects which background image the game applies.

hmsong

• View Profile
« Reply #1202 on: March 05, 2020, 08:32:39 pm »
Yay, my computer is finally fixed and clean.  Hopefully, I won't have to do that again for a while.  Christ.

I tried the new patch.  I didn't particular notice if Flammie flying was faster or not.  Having said that, the globe map was significantly faster, which is truly awesome.  There are some ways you can improve this (although whether they're doable or not, I don't know):
 1.  Make the transition from in-game section (where you control Flammie) to the globe map faster.  And vice versa.  Looks a bit slow.
 2a. Put some sort of indication to the direction on the globe (N, W, S, E).
 2b. Better yet, make the map into the typical rectangular map (and your own location).  That way, no need for direction, and no need to scroll anything.  And way WAY more useful.  Not sure if that's actually possible though.

In any case, thank you.  Now, I may actually start using the globe map (I never used it before, because the delay was a pain).

I remember there being an auto-fly ability in one of the old games, where you just select the destination on the map, and the computer will just auto-fly you there (I forgot which game that was... do you know which one?).  That was so useful.  I wish that was implemented in this game.  No, I will not ask you to create that, since that's probably impossible without some ridiculous and crazy reprogramming.  Just thinking out loud, that's all.

Also, I noticed that Flammie flies slower when he flies towards the foreground.  It's not a big deal, but I wish he was just as fast when he flies to the foreground.  Sometimes, I like to fly backwards, but having to turn around (with left/right direction), then flying towards the destination kinda sucks.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2020, 09:21:19 pm by hmsong »

Queue

• View Profile
Re: Secret of Mana, Turbo - Beta 200305
« Reply #1203 on: March 05, 2020, 11:23:41 pm »
Version 2020-03-05:
https://ufile.io/mp834cd2

Changes:
- Added "_extras" subfolder to the "readmes" folder in the ZIP; gives me a place to shove random interesting files.
- Split the NSO (Switch Online) SNES footer off into its own option (Internal_SFROM_Header), Off by default because it's probably unnecessary given a proper SFROM header.
- Modified the Helper Script to only generate an SFROM file if VC_without_PCM is On but Internal_SFROM_Header is Off; VC_without_PCM is now On by default.
- Made the flat world map load even faster.
- Preview of dynamic world map changes (part of Enhanced_World_Map); the Tropics and Kakkara both change in appearance on the world map depending on story progress.
- Fixed erroneous world map tiles near Northtown (3 south) and Southtown (1 west).
- Altered the "Rock of Limitless Water" and Lighthouse world map appearances to demonstrate availability of previously unused world map tiles.

Known Issue:
- The flat map does not update to reflect the changes to the Tropics and Kakkara. Working on it, just having the flat map be both fast loading and dynamic is tricky. The flat map is 64 KB, which is the entirety of SNES tilemap memory (only 60KB of it is in video memory at one time, but the whole 64 KB is prepped with the other 4 KB waiting in normal memory for when you scroll down / up), and prepping and sending that much to video memory was why the flat map loading was so slow.

Afiction, you shouldn't need that brightness fix (which is a pretty rough workaround) if Technical\VC_without_PCM is enabled and the SFROM is set up correctly. The release in this post now has Technical\VC_without_PCM On by default, along with Technical\Internal_SFROM_Header, and with those two On it should be possible to just rename the resulting ROM file ("Secret of Mana, Turbo.smc") to one with an .SFROM extension and it'll just work. I suggest "Secret_of_Mana_Turbo.sfrom" as some of the tools I've seen don't like the .SFROM files to contain spaces. There's also now a boxart image in the readmes\_extras folder in the ZIP. Any thoughts on how I could make the process easier would be appreciated.

kethinov, entrypoint didn't matter when I tested. Technically it's the same background, just scrolled far down or far up depending on where you enter. I suspect the background scroll position could be improved via an event script somehow, but I've never tried. Really not sure what made the background color change fail for Mr X.

hmsong, flight itself shouldn't be faster (or slower), just globe rotation speed and flat map load time.

1. Those transitions unfortunately aren't just for show; the world map is being processed and uploaded to video memory during that wait / fade in. I don't think I can make it any faster.
2a. Added to my list of ideas. There should be enough video memory leftover for compass labels, though coloring them properly may be difficult. Probably a very difficult addition though.
2b. There is a rectangular map; while looking at the globe, press R. It's what I've been calling the flat map. In vanilla it has a super long load time. It only indicates your location when you first open it as once you move the cursor, nothing stays behind to show where you were. Adding a player indicator was something I'd already been considering and should be reasonable to implement.

I don't think auto-fly is likely to happen. I do want to let the user place a marker on the flat map and show an arrow (or something) in the compass during flight to guide you, but we shall see if I manage it.

Every time I start flying towards the screen I get angry about its slower turn speed. I sorta don't mind the slower movement since I use it to position carefully for screenshots, or to inspect something I'm working on... when I get to looking at flight / map hotkey code, if I can add a fast / slow button (maybe A, like running on foot? leave B as descend / land, and Y as fly up? just brainstorming) I will. I also get annoyed that I can't strafe à la FF6, but it'd be weird for a dragon to strafe.

Thinking about that, I'm sort've imagining:
Dpad U/D: Face forward / back
Dpad L/R: Slow turn left / right (the speed for vanilla down + turn)
Y: Ascend (vanilla uses A)
X: Toggle overhead view (vanilla uses L / R)
B: Descend / Land
A: Fly fast in whatever direction you're currently facing
L: Turn left quickly \
R: Turn right quickly > (the speed for vanilla up + turn)
Select: Open flat map directly
Start: Open globe map directly (this is vanilla)

If implemented, this would be a separate feature, but would hopefully make flight controls more fun with a real controller. Considering I often am playing via keyboard, and my L and R buttons are not mapped in a way where this control scheme would be any good, I may not get around to this (other than the flat map hotkey). Maybe if Dpad L/R stay fast that would work.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2020, 01:50:58 am by Queue »

hmsong

• View Profile
« Reply #1204 on: March 06, 2020, 03:02:51 am »
Holy crap, I did not know there was flat map.  All these years, and I did not know.  Dayamn.  Your new idea about the new buttons for flight/map sounds great.  Esp the fast speed by holding the A button (and L/R for fast turning), although I prefer holding A to allow fast movement for both fast movement and turning, rather than auto-accelerate (so in order to go forward fast, you'd have to hold the D-Pad and A button) or have separate buttons for fast turning.  And the immediate flat map access.  That would be so unbelievably useful.  Also, if I can exit the map by pressing any button (instead of just A button), that would be great.

Don't worry about the direction of the globe (or the auto-fly).  The fact that there's flat map helps tremendously.  If I can access the flat map immediately, then that'll pretty much solve the map inconvenience.  Just checking, but there's no vanilla button that immediately access the flat map, right?

And the fact that you're changing the world map to reflect what it's really like, I truly appreciate it.  It's these little details that make the game so... majestic.  This is just getting better and better, and I didn't even know I wanted these until you created them.

Wow, I tried the flat map for vanilla.  That sucks really hard, since it "buffers" line by line.  Takes ~10 seconds just to load the flat map.  Ridiculous.  And the color is all wrong too.  What the heck?

I do want to let the user place a marker on the flat map and show an arrow (or something) in the compass during flight to guide you, but we shall see if I manage it.

Wow, that would be amazing.  I'm not sure how useful that would be (I'm far too used to the game and know where everything is, so placing marker on the map would take longer for me), but I'm betting many people would love the idea.  If you're creating the marker, please don't forget to include an option to erase the marker too (without having to arrive there).  And maybe auto-erase the marker if you arrive near the marker.

Btw, if possible, could you upload kethinov's new No Missable Monster / Luka's Pet?  I know the previous version combined those, but I kinda want to have Luka's Pet without the No Missable Monster.  I absolutely loved Luka's pet.  And I want to understand what was done in that patch, but I only get about half the part.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2020, 03:01:11 am by hmsong »

Afiction

• View Profile
« Reply #1205 on: March 06, 2020, 03:43:45 am »
Oooof, I was using the wrong Preset-ID in Hakchi like a dummy, which is why I had to use that gamma workaround. Default preset of 10B0 is golden for any canoers that may be reading. Renaming the 'smc' to 'sfrom' and loading into Hakchi didn't work for me and gave me C7 errors. But that's fine, I like going through SFROM tool and generating a .sfrom there so I can set the preset and not worry about it in the future. Thanks for including the box-art!

hmsong

• View Profile
« Reply #1206 on: March 08, 2020, 03:50:04 am »
@Queue

Hey, do you know which address deals with Vampire/Buffy, Chamber's eye/Doom's eye, and Lime/Dread Slime spell list is?  I know it's in bank 0x02, but I can't find it.

I intend on modifying Change Form spell -- vanilla only inflicts Transform SE, but I'm going to give it Pygmy and Moogle SE too (so that Change Form spell can be used on you), just like how you gave Poison SE to Sleep Flower.  I already confirmed that my modification works (only inflicts Transform on enemies, and only inflicts Pygmy/Moogle on you).  As such, I want to give this spell to enemies (I'm definitely replacing Darkstalker's Dispel Magic, and maybe one more enemy), and I want to give it to one of the bosses that I mentioned (well, depends on their spell list).  But I can't find their spell's specific address.  Please help.

Queue

• View Profile
« Reply #1207 on: March 08, 2020, 06:56:04 am »
The Vampire bosses use boss AI scripts:
$C2E734
$C2E73C
$C2E744
$C2E74C
$C2E754
Since they're boss AI scripts, 0E = cast spell, followed by spell number, followed by target (00 = player, FF = self, I think).

The Wall bosses uses hardcoded AI; a partial list of spells is:
$C282A4
$C282AB
$C282B2
$C282B9
Since they're SNES machine code, A9 = LDA instruction, followed by 16-bit spell number; since there aren't more than 255 spells, the high byte will always be 00. They have more spells than that, but those 4 should be the easy to edit offensive ones.

The Slime bosses also use hardcoded AI; probably also just a partial list:
$C286A5 (10? byte table)
$C286AF (4 byte table)
$C286DD (7 byte table)
$C28746 (4 byte table)
The Slime bosses seem to have small tables of spells to use, where each byte is a spell number. I think anyway.

None of the above was double-checked in-game, I just looked at a disassembly and made guesses. I figure that gives you something to experiment with.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2020, 05:28:01 pm by Queue »

hmsong

• View Profile
« Reply #1208 on: March 08, 2020, 09:25:53 pm »
Awesome, thank you.  Please upload this for your next update.  Here's the my new Change Form (title:  Change Form - Pygmy-Moogle):

Code: [Select]
@OFF %Spell.Data.Change_Form%Effect%
RAW 00 1A ' Transform, Pygmy, Moogle

@OFF $D06E9D ' Magic Book Energy Absorb --> Change Form
RAW 18
@OFF $D07F59 ' Beast Zombie Speed Down --> Change Form
RAW 18
@OFF $D09A9A ' Dark Stalker Acid Storm --> Change Form
RAW 18
@OFF $C2E73D ' Vampire/Buffy Freeze (one enemy) --> Change Form (all enemies)
RAW 18 01
@OFF $C282AC ' Chamber's Eye Freeze --> Change Form
RAW 18

Beast Zombie actually has his Speed Down changed to Lunar Boost in Enemy Behavior Changes, but I shall change that (I'll include the IF function once I know the name of the patch).

I took a look at the Slime bosses' code that you posted, and I couldn't really understand how their spell list worked.  Well, that's fine, since three bosses having Change Form spell is enough (interestingly, this makes those bosses harder).  If you think anyone else should have this spell, please let me know.

March 09, 2020, 12:43:20 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Hmm.  For whatever reason, after the reformat (and new Win10 update), my zsnes is loading really slowly (from menu to the game, and vice versa).  Anyone know why that's the case?  Do I need to install some old version of of directX or something?
« Last Edit: March 09, 2020, 11:29:33 pm by hmsong »

Mr X

• View Profile
« Reply #1209 on: March 09, 2020, 07:09:23 am »
I think the Dark Stalker should have change form and Dispel, removing acid rain.

A lot more endgame enemies should have dispel imo, as your magic levels are higher by that point so you would use buffs more often. I like the change you made for hexas and make use of the lunatic spell but I also think she should keep dispel as she gets countered by wall easily, being a heavy magic caster.

I think her other forms need to be more effevtive, should cast effective spells more agressively.

I like the changes you made on the wall/vampirr bosses, instead of freeze giving them wall. Would be fitting if the Chambers eyes would cast speed down, fitting the theme of being gnome elemental. But doubt it's possible giving another spell, it's fine if it stays the way it is now.

I like those changes overall.

hmsong

• View Profile
« Reply #1210 on: March 09, 2020, 08:51:37 am »
Mr X

Wuw, long time no see.

Hmm.  Changing Dark Stalker's Acid Rain to Change Form might indeed be more dangerous to the players than Acid Rain (his Dispel Magic is only used randomly when he first come up on the screen, meaning you may not see it very frequently).  Very well then.  I shall change that.  Thanks for the suggestion.

The reason I changed Hexas's Dispel Magic was because she spams Dispel Magic, even if you don't have any magic enhancements on you (I think it's a programming error somewhere).  So I wanted to her to spam Lunar Magic instead, since that's an underused magic that became awesome (thanks to Queue).  So instead, I'll change one of her other spells to Dispel Magic.  And while at it, I may change her other spells.  In any case, I'll update her spell list to include Dispel Magic (for the next Behavior Changes).

I think her other forms need to be more effevtive, should cast effective spells more agressively.

I don't know what that means.  Her other form?  Programming-wise, I know she can change to different element, but I've never seen it.  Also, I cannot make her more aggressive -- I can only change her spell list.

EDIT:  Wuw, I did not know she can change her "form" like that (it doesn't seem to affect her weakness though).  And the spells depend on her color.  I did not know this.  Sadly, that means I won't give her Dispel Magic, since her "element" should reflect her spells.  Thanks for telling me that though.  I may still change her spell list, but to the ones that reflect her element.

You're right -- I do wish she was more aggressive about changing her elements.  That's a very unique ability.  But as mentioned before, I have absolutely no idea how to do that.  Maybe Queue or kethinov can help.

It's certainly true that Wall can make her easy, but I think she was supposed to be fought that way, since her default element is Luna (well, it's actually N/E, but I think she was supposed to be Luna), hence making her weak to Dryad.

@Queue

I forgot to say this earlier, but I noticed this in vanilla.  When you land near the Ice Country Paradise (which results you landing in the paradise), the flight BGM still plays.  It's not quite a bug or anything, but I think changing that music to the Ice Country BGM would be better.  Just something minor, but it's a little detail.  Btw, thanks for changing things so that you can land directly on the paradise (instead of landing near it).
« Last Edit: March 09, 2020, 10:23:16 am by hmsong »

Queue

• View Profile
Re: Secret of Mana, Turbo - Beta 200309
« Reply #1211 on: March 10, 2020, 02:31:26 am »
Version 2020-03-09:
https://ufile.io/5e0uo45s

Changes:
- Added hmsong's Magic\Change_Form_-_Pygmy-Moogle
- Implemented Text\Logical_Goblin_Names for vanilla and VWF
- Added Flammie's flying graphics to Graphics\Retouched_Characters; lots of careful adjustments
- Implemented Bug_Fixes\Tropicy_Music
- Demoted Technical\Internal_SFROM_Header to (Experimental) status since apparently it doesn't work for all platforms it was meant for
- Implemented Technical\Generate_SFROM_File
- Added new flight hotkey code to Miscellaneous\Enhanced_World_Map; it will be split off into a separate feature later
- Added auto view change on altitude change fix to Miscellaneous\Enhanced_World_Map; this may or may not be split off into its own feature later (in vanilla, descend until camera changes automatically, press L or R, then ascend and note the inverted camera; that was a bug)
- Added Flammie neck fix to Miscellaneous\Enhanced_World_Map; this may or may not be split off into its own feature later (in vanilla, while facing forward on Flammie, hold left until his head is all the way left, then immediately switch to holding right; with a keen eye or slow motion / pause you'll see his neck stick way out left of his body and it looks awful)

Known Issue:
- Flat map doesn't show dynamic map changes yet (Kakkara, Tropics)

Regarding Flammie's art, I've spent a lot of time staring at him while working on new flight hotkeys and finally noticed his art when facing the screen was left unfinished! There were also numerous coloring inconsistencies, missing pixels, etc. that I carefully (and lovingly) adjusted. I expect most people won't be able to tell the difference, but that's sorta the point. If you compared vanilla and retouched side-by-side though, the vanilla deficiencies are fairly apparent.

No map marks yet. Just wrangling the flight hotkeys took a lot of work. I also was part way through the dynamic flat map when I realized my data format was no good and I needed to start over.

Regarding the new flight hotkeys, they are:
Dpad = fly forward / backward / turn left / right (with no speed penalty for backward)
L = turn left
R = turn right
Y = change camera
B = descend / land
X = ascend
A = fly in whatever direction you're already facing
Select = globe map
Start = flat map

Once on the globe / flat map:
Select or L = globe map
Start or R = flat map
B = exit map (back to flight)

The biggest change is X = ascend; give it a fair try before deciding you can't compensate. Holding A to fly and steering with the shoulder buttons feels good, and you can hit A + B to descend or A + X to ascend very naturally.

hmsong, dang, I don't have the answer regarding ZSNES. I try really hard to avoid Win10, so I don't know off the top of my head what this specific issue is. Also, I noticed the Tropics music issue too; you bringing it up provoked me into getting it fixed. The problem was that the Tropics auto event was empty; I redirected it to the normal Ice Country music event.

Afiction, double dang, I had tested Internal_SFROM_Header with a Wii and swear it worked, so was hoping it would for the SNES Classic as well, but it seems not. I added Technical\Generate_SFROM_File to the very bottom of the patcher list (just above the Helper_Script entry) so that an SFROM file with normal(ish) SFROM header will be produced, with the Preset ID already set (etc.). Hopefully that'll prove useful if you ever need to update the SFROM file in the future. That mechanism I have tested on an SNES Classic and had success with.

hmsong

• View Profile
« Reply #1212 on: March 10, 2020, 04:21:29 am »
Awesome.  Thanks for the update.  As for Change_Form_-_Pygmy-Moogle, I actually updated that above (instead of Gremlin, it is Beast Zombie that casts Change Form, and instead of Dark Stalker's Dispel Magic, his Acid Storm was replaced, as per Mr X's request).  Also, thank you for the Tropic BGM.

You're right.  I would not have noticed Flammie's graphic changes (neck), had you not mentioned it.  Seriously, how the heck did you realize that?  Amazing attention to detail.

The biggest change is X = ascend; give it a fair try before deciding you can't compensate. Holding A to fly and steering with the shoulder buttons feels good, and you can hit A + B to descend or A + X to ascend very naturally.

Yeah.  I'm so used to the old control, I keep messing up.  Perhaps have an option that switches back the A and X button? (but keep your new control as the default)  Also, I was under the impression that Flammie would fly faster with the button accel/turn.  I don't see the speed difference.  Did I perhaps misunderstand something?

Having said that, the Start button for immediate flat map is AWESOME!!!  Holy carp it's awesome (as well as Enhanced_World_Map).  Very nice.  Thank you so much.

I found what was wrong with my Win10 zsnes.  It was my anti-virus.  Specifically, my BitDefender was doing something to zsnes that slowed it down.  I switched back to Avist, which fixed the problem.  Btw, if you're not using Win10, what are you using?  Win7?

Soon, I intend on updating some of my old patches.  For example, I'm going to move Dark Lich's Dust Flare (from Enemy Behavior Changes) to Dust Flare section.  I'm also going to update the Enemy Behavior Changes (few changes here and there).  I'll try to make my changes as clear as I can (so that you can update things), without posting the entire section.

Mr X

• View Profile
« Reply #1213 on: March 10, 2020, 05:49:54 am »
Looking forward to try the new update.

hmsong Hey there, it's been a long time indeed, hope you all have been foing fine

I was thinking of replacing Hexas spells with saber magic that represents her color.
Blue - Ice Saber
Brown - Stone Saber
Light Purple - Thunder Saber
Red - Flame Saber

Was also thinking since we have spells like hellfire now, if that's applied, add to the npc Evil Gate a status infliction besides being just a different colored hellfire with the same function. Hp based damage + confuse or something.

hmsong

• View Profile
« Reply #1214 on: March 10, 2020, 11:51:18 am »
@Mr X

Queue already mentioned that Saber magic has no effect on bosses, since their melee attacks have their own separate "stats".  So giving Hex saber magics would be meaningless.

As for Evil Gate and Hellfire, those are Queue and kethinov's patches, so I will not modify their magics.  Besides, I don't even know how to modify their magic, since those are some complicated stuff that I can't even begin to touch.  I may create my own version of Evil Gate though (maybe), since I really want to make Black Curse spell from SD3 (I'll be using Shadow Saber though, since I like Shadow Saber a lot, but NPC can use my new version).  I'll have it cause All-Stat Down + several SEs.

@Queue

Okay, I have a lot of updates:

[Enemy_Stat_Changes] -- please add this at the end of my previous codes.  I'm giving extra experience in the beginning third of the game).  Maybe make it a sub-option for those who don't want this?
' ---

' Experience/Money Mod
@OFF $D01C67 ' Chobin Hood
RAW 0F
@OFF $D01CA1 ' Iffish
RAW 28
@OFF $D01D15 ' Spectre
RAW 80 01
@OFF $D01D4F ' Goblin
RAW 3A
@OFF $D01D6C ' Water Thug
RAW 74
@OFF $D01DA6 ' Ma Goblin
RAW 2E
@OFF $D01DC3 ' Dark Funk
RAW 4F 01
@OFF $D01DE0 ' Crawler
RAW AA
@OFF $D01E1A ' Zombie
RAW 48
@OFF $D01E37 ' Kimono Bird
RAW C4
@OFF $D01E54 ' Silktail
RAW 89
@OFF $D01E71 ' Nemesis Owl
RAW A1
@OFF $D01E8E ' Pebbler
RAW AA
@OFF $D01EAB ' Pumpkin Bomb
RAW E1
@OFF $D01EC8 ' Steamed Crab
RAW A1
@OFF $D01EE5 ' Chess Knight
RAW 3A
@OFF $D01F02 ' Wizard Eye
RAW 3D 02
@OFF $D01F1F ' Howler
RAW 2B 01
@OFF $D01F3C ' Robin Foot
RAW A9 01
@OFF $D01F59 ' LA Funk
RAW 4F 01
@OFF $D01F76 ' Grave Bat
RAW DE 01
@OFF $D01FCD ' Evil Sword
RAW 61
@OFF $D01FEA ' Tomato Man
RAW 59
@OFF $D02007 ' Mystic Book
RAW A9 01
@OFF $D02024 ' Sand Stinger
RAW E1
@OFF $D02041 ' Mad Mallard
RAW 09 01
@OFF $D0207B ' Red Drop
RAW 80 01
@OFF $D0210C ' Dinofish
RAW D5 01
@OFF $D02119 ' Mimic Box Level
RAW 2E ' 46
@OFF $D02129 ' Mimic Box EXP
RAW 1B 06 ' 1563
@OFF $D02134 ' Mimic Box GP
RAW FC 03 ' 1020
@OFF $D021BA ' Spider Legs
RAW 00 01
@OFF $D021D7 ' Weepy Eye
RAW A9 01
@OFF $D021F4 ' Shellblast
RAW 76 01
@OFF $D0222E ' Ghoul
RAW 0C 02
@OFF $D02268 ' Blue Drop
RAW 80 01

[Alternate_Transform_List] -- I changed things around, so Mimic (who is actually a lot stronger than its level suggested) and Weepy Eye isn't included in the transformation list.  I instead gave Silktail, since it's the mascot of the game.  And I changed things so Chess Knight can be included here.
@OFF $C8E5F3 ' Rabite --> Ma Goblin (aka Goblin Guard)
RAW 0E

@OFF $C8E5F4 ' Mushboom --> Dark Funk
RAW 0F

@OFF $C8E5F5 ' Lullabud --> Zombie
RAW 12

@OFF $C8E5F6 ' Kid Goblin --> Silktail
RAW 14

@OFF $C8E5F7 ' Green Drop --> Nemesis Owl
RAW 15

@OFF $C8E5F8 ' Water Thug --> Pumpkin Bomb
RAW 17

@OFF $C8E5F9 ' Pebbler --> Chess Knight
RAW 19

@OFF $C8E5FA ' Pumpkin Bomb --> Shellblast
RAW 34

@OFF $D01EE9 ' Chess Knight Change Form works
'RAW 40 1E
RAW 40 16

[_Dust_Flare_-_Replaces_Fire_Bouquet] -- Please delete Dark Lich's Dust Flare from [Enemy_Behavior_Changes], and instead put it in the [Dust_Flare] section.  Preferably between [@OFF $C2EC56] and ['@OFF $C2EF02]:
@OFF $C2E98B ' Dark Lich Dispel Magic --> Dust Flare
RAW 04

[Spell_Balance_Overhaul] -- I'm not sure why, but it seems that you disabled Herbal Boost to multi-target (even though Moon Energy is multi-target).  Was there a reason for that?  Or was it some mistake?  Or did I ask you to do that, and I somehow forgot about it?  In any case, could you please make it multi-target?  Thanks.

[Enemy_Behavior_Changes] -- In addition to Dust Flare changes, here are few more changes:
'@OFF $D06B5C ' Werewolf Uses Cure Water below 100 HP <------ I'm disabling this, because Werewolf curing at 100 HP was too hard.
'RAW 64 00

IF [Magic]
IFNOT Change_Form_-_Pygmy-Moogle ' compat
@OFF $D07F56 ' Beast Zombie Speed Down (1 enemy) --> Lunar Boost (self) <----- This already exists, but I'm giving the IF function now.
RAW C4 E9 05 1C
ENDIF x2

IF [Magic]
IF Spell_System_Extensions
IF _Lunar_Magic_-_Celestial_Cascade ' compat
@OFF $D090EB ' Gremlin Freeze --> Lunar Magic <------ I want to see more Lunar Magic, and Gremlin seemed like a good candidate.
RAW 1A
ENDIF x3

@OFF $D0999C ' National Scar Spawns Imp --> Gremlin <------ Imp is too weak enemy by the time National Scar appears.
RAW 46

And finally, this isn't mine, but kethinov actually updated his Later Midge Mallet.  Since I'm pretty much the only person to use Later Midge Mallet, I figured I should do the work.  The code changed from:
RAW 42 3400

to:
RAW 42 2409

Applies to vanilla, VWF, and Relocalized.

I know I changed a lot, but I'd appreciate it if you can update these.  Thank you so much.

Mr X

• View Profile
« Reply #1215 on: March 10, 2020, 12:07:37 pm »
@Mr X

Queue already mentioned that Saber magic has no effect on bosses, since their melee attacks have their own separate "stats".  So giving Hex saber magics would be meaningless.

As for Evil Gate and Hellfire, those are Queue and kethinov's patches, so I will not modify their magics.  Besides, I don't even know how to modify their magic, since those are some complicated stuff that I can't even begin to touch.  I may create my own version of Evil Gate though (maybe), since I really want to make Black Curse spell from SD3 (I'll be using Shadow Saber though, since I like Shadow Saber a lot, but NPC can use my new version).  I'll have it cause All-Stat Down + several SEs.

@Queue

Okay, I have a lot of updates:

[Enemy_Stat_Changes] -- please add this at the end of my previous codes.  I'm giving extra experience in the beginning third of the game).  Maybe make it a sub-option for those who don't want this?
' ---

' Experience/Money Mod
@OFF $D01C67 ' Chobin Hood
RAW 0F
@OFF $D01CA1 ' Iffish
RAW 28
@OFF $D01D15 ' Spectre
RAW 80 01
@OFF $D01D4F ' Goblin
RAW 3A
@OFF $D01D6C ' Water Thug
RAW 74
@OFF $D01DA6 ' Ma Goblin
RAW 2E
@OFF $D01DC3 ' Dark Funk
RAW 4F 01
@OFF $D01DE0 ' Crawler
RAW AA
@OFF $D01E1A ' Zombie
RAW 48
@OFF $D01E37 ' Kimono Bird
RAW C4
@OFF $D01E54 ' Silktail
RAW 89
@OFF $D01E71 ' Nemesis Owl
RAW A1
@OFF $D01E8E ' Pebbler
RAW AA
@OFF $D01EAB ' Pumpkin Bomb
RAW E1
@OFF $D01EC8 ' Steamed Crab
RAW A1
@OFF $D01EE5 ' Chess Knight
RAW 3A
@OFF $D01F02 ' Wizard Eye
RAW 3D 02
@OFF $D01F1F ' Howler
RAW 2B 01
@OFF $D01F3C ' Robin Foot
RAW A9 01
@OFF $D01F59 ' LA Funk
RAW 4F 01
@OFF $D01F76 ' Grave Bat
RAW DE 01
@OFF $D01FCD ' Evil Sword
RAW 61
@OFF $D01FEA ' Tomato Man
RAW 59
@OFF $D02007 ' Mystic Book
RAW A9 01
@OFF $D02024 ' Sand Stinger
RAW E1
@OFF $D02041 ' Mad Mallard
RAW 09 01
@OFF $D0207B ' Red Drop
RAW 80 01
@OFF $D0210C ' Dinofish
RAW D5 01
@OFF $D02119 ' Mimic Box Level
RAW 2E ' 46
@OFF $D02129 ' Mimic Box EXP
RAW 1B 06 ' 1563
@OFF $D02134 ' Mimic Box GP
RAW FC 03 ' 1020
@OFF $D021BA ' Spider Legs
RAW 00 01
@OFF $D021D7 ' Weepy Eye
RAW A9 01
@OFF $D021F4 ' Shellblast
RAW 76 01
@OFF $D0222E ' Ghoul
RAW 0C 02
@OFF $D02268 ' Blue Drop
RAW 80 01

[Alternate_Transform_List] -- I changed things around, so Mimic (who is actually a lot stronger than its level suggested) and Weepy Eye isn't included in the transformation list.  I instead gave Silktail, since it's the mascot of the game.  And I changed things so Chess Knight can be included here.
@OFF $C8E5F3 ' Rabite --> Ma Goblin (aka Goblin Guard)
RAW 0E

@OFF $C8E5F4 ' Mushboom --> Dark Funk
RAW 0F

@OFF $C8E5F5 ' Lullabud --> Zombie
RAW 12

@OFF $C8E5F6 ' Kid Goblin --> Silktail
RAW 14

@OFF $C8E5F7 ' Green Drop --> Nemesis Owl
RAW 15

@OFF $C8E5F8 ' Water Thug --> Pumpkin Bomb
RAW 17

@OFF $C8E5F9 ' Pebbler --> Chess Knight
RAW 19

@OFF $C8E5FA ' Pumpkin Bomb --> Shellblast
RAW 34

@OFF $D01EE9 ' Chess Knight Change Form works
'RAW 40 1E
RAW 40 16

[_Dust_Flare_-_Replaces_Fire_Bouquet] -- Please delete Dark Lich's Dust Flare from [Enemy_Behavior_Changes], and instead put it in the [Dust_Flare] section.  Preferably between [@OFF $C2EC56] and ['@OFF $C2EF02]:
@OFF $C2E98B ' Dark Lich Dispel Magic --> Dust Flare
RAW 04

[Spell_Balance_Overhaul] -- I'm not sure why, but it seems that you disabled Herbal Boost to multi-target (even though Moon Energy is multi-target).  Was there a reason for that?  Or was it some mistake?  Or did I ask you to do that, and I somehow forgot about it?  In any case, could you please make it multi-target?  Thanks.

[Enemy_Behavior_Changes] -- In addition to Dust Flare changes, here are few more changes:
'@OFF $D06B5C ' Werewolf Uses Cure Water below 100 HP <------ I'm disabling this, because Werewolf curing at 100 HP was too hard.
'RAW 64 00

IF [Magic]
IFNOT Change_Form_-_Pygmy-Moogle ' compat
@OFF $D07F56 ' Beast Zombie Speed Down (1 enemy) --> Lunar Boost (self) <----- This already exists, but I'm giving the IF function now.
RAW C4 E9 05 1C
ENDIF x2

IF [Magic]
IF Spell_System_Extensions
IF _Lunar_Magic_-_Celestial_Cascade ' compat
@OFF $D090EB ' Gremlin Freeze --> Lunar Magic <------ I want to see more Lunar Magic, and Gremlin seemed like a good candidate.
RAW 1A
ENDIF x3

@OFF $D0999C ' National Scar Spawns Imp --> Gremlin <------ Imp is too weak enemy by the time National Scar appears.
RAW 46

And finally, this isn't mine, but kethinov actually updated his Later Midge Mallet.  Since I'm pretty much the only person to use Later Midge Mallet, I figured I should do the work.  The code changed from:
RAW 42 3400

to:
RAW 42 2409

Applies to vanilla, VWF, and Relocalized.

I know I changed a lot, but I'd appreciate it if you can update these.  Thank you so much.

Ok didn't know that (or forgot, it's been a long time). Thanks for explaining

I wouldn't mind that for NPC Evil Gate.

Queue

• View Profile
« Reply #1216 on: March 10, 2020, 04:41:27 pm »
hmsong, I have a lot of computers; of the currently operational ones (as in, powered on right now) they're running Win98SE, Win7, Win7, Win7, Win8.1 and Win7. Two of those Win7 computers can boot into WinXPsp2. I'm almost done building a new computer and intend to put Win7 on it, with a later second drive having Win10, with the assumption that I'll someday hit software that requires it. There's also a Win7 machine down for maintenance (needs new motherboard, so may get entirely overhauled), and three functional but stored computers with various OSes (XPsp2, 7 and 7). Enough about that though...

I'll consider other flight hotkey options, but a little low priority at the moment as I still have a lot to do to the map code. Regarding flight speed difference, that was just an idea. Once I was actually making changes and testing, I found variable speed unpleasant; one flight speed and one turn speed played better. It's not something reasonably supportable as an option either: the flight code is a huge mess so I'm rather pleased that I got anything working at all.

I'm happy to update all your stuff, especially when you put in all that work to try and organize it for me.

I appreciate the help on Later Midge Mallet. Not sure what your method was, but wanted to point out a handy utility if you weren't aware of it:
IPS Peek
https://www.romhacking.net/utilities/1038/
Especially for small IPS patches, I find IPS Peek to be faster and easier than other options for getting at the data the IPS contains.

kethinov

• View Profile
« Reply #1217 on: March 10, 2020, 07:49:49 pm »
Another good tool for that is ipsnect which I like because I can use it on macOS or Linux. While we're chatting preferred computer setups, I'm the sort of weirdo who does SNES ROM hacking on a Mac. There are a few native tools available like ipsnect and a Mac version of Snes9x, but mostly the best tools are Windows-only, so I tend to do most of my work inside of a Windows 10 virtual machine running in VMWare on my Mac. It's a pretty quirky setup, but it works for me.

hmsong

• View Profile
« Reply #1218 on: March 10, 2020, 08:19:55 pm »
Wow, I never even thought about having multiple computer, some with different OS.  Well, I have a desktop and a laptop, but with the same OS.  Having different OS would be too confusing for someone like me.  Haha.

You're right about the flight speed.  No need to be faster, and now that you mention it, yeah, it'll be kinda confusing.  Current speed is fast enough (esp with foreground speed increase).  Having said that, I'd still like an option to switch back X and A button.  But as you said, it's of low priority.

I indeed used IPS Peek to see the ips file.  Actually, I learned about that program's existence here.  I think it was you or kethinov or zoolgremlin who suggested me to use that.  It's a pain to actually put it in the txt file, since I can't just copy the text I see in the IPS peek though (so I have to manually type the address and values in the txt file).

I have another new spell patch -- Black Hex (no "Black Curse", due to 9-character space limit, but this sounds pretty cool too).  It replaces Evil Gate:

@OFF Spell.List.Evil_Gate
ADR.16 SSE.Func.Detrimental.StatsAndEffects
@OFF %Spell.Data.Evil_Gate%Stat%
RAW SSE.Stat.All.Down
@OFF %Spell.Data.Evil_Gate%Effect%
RAW 84 22 ' Slow, Confuse, Pygmy, Poison
@OFF %Spell.Data.Evil_Gate%Cost%
RAW 08

IF [Text] ' compat
IF Relocalized
@OFF Spell.Text.Evil_Gate
TEXT ^B l a ck _ ^H e x \0
@OFF Spell.Info.Evil_Gate
TEXT _ 8 _ ^M ^P ,_ ^C a us e_ \n v ar i ou s_ ^D e b u f f s_ & _ ^E f f e c t s \0
ENDIF x2
IF [Text]
IFNOT Relocalized
TEXT ^B l^ a^ c^ k^ _ ^H e^ x^ \0
TEXT _ ^C a^ u^ s^ e^ s^ _ v^ a^ r^ i^ o^ \n u^ s^ _ ^D e^ b^ u^ f^ f^ s^ _ & _ ^E f^ f^ e^ c^ t^ s^ . \0
ENDIF x2
IFNOT [Text]
TEXT ^B l^ a^ c^ k^ _ ^H e^ x^ \0
TEXT _ ^C a^ u^ s^ e^ s^ _ v^ a^ r^ i^ o^ \n u^ s^ _ ^D e^ b^ u^ f^ f^ s^ _ & _ ^E f^ f^ e^ c^ t^ s^ . \0
ENDIF

@OFF $C2E977 ' Dark Lich Black Hex target = All enemies
RAW 01

Please make it so that this patch is ignored if Useful Evil Gate is ON (his patch takes priority).  Now, for the hard part that I have no idea how to apply...

Could you make it so that if Black Hex, and [_Evil_Gate_-_NPC_Version] are both ON (while Useful Evil Gate is OFF), the NPC version copies my Black Hex, instead of copying the vanilla Evil Gate?  My intention is for PC to use your Shadow Saber (assuming Shadow Saber is ON), while the enemies use my Black Hex (although Black Hex doesn't depend on Shadow Saber, for those who want the PCs to use Black Hex).

And speaking of Useful Evil Gate (and Hellfire), since it was you who added the description to kethinov's patches, I'd like to make a suggestion for the description:

Useful Evil Gate:
IF [Text]
IF Relocalized
TEXT _ 1 2 _ ^M ^P ,_ ^D o_ % - \n ^D a m ag e_ on _ n on - ^D ^A ^R ^K _ f o es \0
ENDIF x2

Hellfire:
IF [Text]
IF Relocalized
@OFF Spell.Info.Exploder
TEXT _ 1 2 _ ^M ^P ,_ ^D o_ % - \n ^D a m ag e_ on _ n on - ^F ^I ^R ^E _ f o es \0
ENDIF x2

I just didn't like the whole 50% part of the description, since that's a false description.  I use Hellfire, and it always bothered me.  It's a tiny little detail that most people don't care about, but I guess I'm just nitpicky about that.

March 10, 2020, 08:27:51 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)

@kethinov

Hey, how's it going?  I gotta say, I'm enjoying so many of your patches.  I don't know what your "big project" is, but I hope it's going well.

March 12, 2020, 07:49:15 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)

@Queue

Okay, I found a bug.  When you try to land on the sunken continent's non-landable purple spots (pre-rise, or post-sink-back), the camera shakes and it gets all weird.

Also, after the sunken continent rises and you enter the ancient city from the back (after clearing the ancient city), the BGM doesn't play the city song.  I'm not sure if there was supposed to be a separate Ancient City song, because the city song plays when you enter the "above" section of the city (the place where you fought Hydra).

For [_Evil_Gate_-_NPC_Version], National Scar has more than 1 Evil Gate.  You already corrected $D09977, but it also has Evil Gate on $D09984 (well, the spell itself is $D09986, but you get what I mean).  Then again, National Scar casting Shadow Saber on you might be interesting too, since National Scar becomes immune to anyone with Shadow Saber (assuming the patch that makes enemies immune to their own element saber is ON).

Man, I feel like I'm bothering you with my constant updates.  Here's my yet-another addition to [Enemy_Behavior_Changes] and [Enemy_Stat_Changes].  I'd appreciate it if you put the following codes in the code order (ex: Buffy would be listed between Hexas and Dark Lich).

[Enemy_Behavior_Changes]
@OFF $C282B3 ' Doom's Eye Thunderbolt --> Dark Force
RAW 25
@OFF $C282BA ' Doom's Eye HP Absorb --> Moon Saber
RAW 1B

@OFF $C29443 ' Mana Beast Lucent Beam --> Burst
RAW 1F

@OFF $C2E756 ' Buffy Dispel Magic target = All enemies
RAW 01

[Enemy_Stat_Changes] -- increased PWR for some attacks, and applied Sleep SE to other Mana Beast melee attacks (plenty of bosses have Sleep SE to their melee).
@OFF $D0C0CD ' Mana Beast Attack 1 (right-to-left flyby) Strength = 120
RAW 78
@OFF $D0C0CE ' Mana Beast Attack 1 (right-to-left flyby) Sleep Status
ADR.16 #0x0010
@OFF $D0C0D4 ' Mana Beast Attack 2 (?) Strength = 120
RAW 78
@OFF $D0C0D5 ' Mana Beast Attack 2 (?) Sleep Status
ADR.16 #0x0010
@OFF $D0C0DB ' Mana Beast Attack 3 (back-to-front flyby) Strength = 127
RAW 7F
@OFF $D0C0DC ' Mana Beast Attack 3 (back-to-front flyby) Sleep Status
ADR.16 #0x0010
@OFF $D0C0E2 ' Mana Beast Attack 4 (fire spiral breath)  Strength = 127
RAW 7F
@OFF $D0C0E3 ' Mana Beast Attack 4 (fire spiral breath)  Engulf Status
ADR.16 #0x4000

Sorry, and Thanks.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2020, 02:27:57 am by hmsong »

Queue

• View Profile
Re: Secret of Mana, Turbo - Beta 200312
« Reply #1219 on: March 13, 2020, 02:24:23 am »
Version 2020-03-12:
https://ufile.io/ethxafac

Changes:
- Updated kethinov's Later Midge Mallet hack
- Updated the following hmsong patches:
-- Dust_Flare
-- Change_Form_-_Pygmy-Moogle
-- Enemy_Behavior_Changes
-- Alternate_Transform_List
- Added hmsong's Enemy_Reward_Changes
- Added Bug_Fixes\Backdoor_Music; for the Underground City music when entered via the Kettle Kin backdoor
- Added "backward" (downward, relative to the screen) turning animations to Flammie's top-down view
- Fixed Enhanced_World_Map issue when trying to land on the Sunken Continent
- Fixed Evil_Gate_-_NPC_Version not affecting the second National Scar Evil Gate

Technical Changes:
- Prototyped hmsong's Black Hex spell
- Added definitions (symbolic names) for normal spell data as Spell.Data.* for spell cloning, etc.
- Added definition for Spell.Data.Size
- Added definitions for typical spell power values; they are:
-- /3D Spell.Power.Default
-- /20 Spell.Power.Feeble   '  32
-- /2B Spell.Power.Weak   '  43
-- /2F Spell.Power.Weak+   '  47 *
-- /34 Spell.Power.Medium   '  52
-- /38 Spell.Power.Medium+   '  56 *
-- /3D Spell.Power.Strong   '  61
-- /41 Spell.Power.Strong+   '  65 *
-- /4F Spell.Power.Extreme   '  79 *
-- /64 Spell.Power.Maximal   ' 100
-- /FA Spell.Power.Mana_Magic
-- Asterisk denotes non-vanilla spell power values used by various features. Number after the comment character ' is decimal.
- Made the percent sign % symbol a reserved character. Event TEXT should now use one of the following 5 options:
-- ٪
-- %
-- ﹪
-- o/o
-- pct
-- I've used that first percent sign ٪ throughout the ZPS file where I originally used %. Note that those are for event TEXT; the % symbol is still used for global define substitutions, like %FREE_BLOCK%, %Default_ACT_Setting%, %INLINE%, etc.
- Minor code and data adjustments to make use of the above technical changes.

hmsong, thanks for all the changes and bug reports; lots of good ones. I think I also got in all your updates correctly.

I haven't figured out the best approach for Black Hex compatibility yet so it's there, but currently hidden / disabled. If you do want to use the name Black Curse, there's space via Spell System Extensions that can be used.

I made the enemy experience rewards their own option. I cut the Chess Knight immunity change (for transform list) back to a single byte, which I guess I don't normally do for naturally 16-bit values, so now I don't remember my exact reasoning.

The Underground City music was a pain but I kept the fix compact. There was no auto event for that room (to trigger the music) so I had to add one which is always tricky.

The Sunken Continent flight camera weirdness was a programming mistake on my part; it was actually pretty crazy that it wasn't causing a crash it was so bad. It probably would crash on Canoe, but probably not any other emulator or real hardware. Fixed now so doesn't matter.

For IPS peek, you can use Ctrl+C when in the upper / left patch list to copy the text for the selected row, and paste that to get the file offset (just add $C00000 to get the ROM address), and in the lower / right pane with the raw bytes, you can select all then copy hex, either via the little icons above the raw bytes, or by right-clicking within the raw byte display.

Likewise with ipsnect, you can copy from a command prompt by right clicking and choosing "Mark" then left-click dragging a box around what to copy, then right clicking to copy what is selected, or you can use cmd.exe redirection to send the program output to a file ("ipsnect.exe patch.ips > output.txt").

Either choice avoids transcribing and thus transcription errors.