News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Secret of Mana, Turbo - Beta 200524  (Read 288124 times)

Queue

• View Profile
Re: Secret of Mana, Turbo - Beta 191106
« Reply #900 on: November 08, 2019, 03:29:41 pm »
Thanks for checking. It's weird that the saber issue isn't an issue, but at least there's no short-term rush to work out a change.

The goblin village is currently hardcoded to always be daytime. There are issues with the colors used by the fires and stew liquid that need to be resolved before other times of day wouldn't look wrong. I want the stew pot event to probably always be during evening (or maybe night? will need to see what looks best), but until I work out the color issues it has to be day.

And to elaborate, said color issues are things like the fires sharing some colors with flowers, so if the fires are made to glow at night, it also makes certain flowers glow at night. Or the stew using a flame color. Things of that nature. The fires need to be adjusted to use the common flame colors, etc.

Edit: Some old eBay listing had pictures of the official English release of the soundtrack if anyone wanted to get the song names exactly correct (for example, "Phantom and...a Rose...").
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/uvEAAOSwOV9dd9On/s-l1600.jpg
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/YlsAAOSweRpdd9P3/s-l1600.jpg
« Last Edit: November 08, 2019, 04:34:55 pm by Queue »

kethinov

• View Profile
« Reply #901 on: November 08, 2019, 04:30:58 pm »
When importing Harder Final Boss 1.2, I spotted something wrong with the patch to Mana Beast code at 0x0293D0. Looks like instead of writing... honestly not totally sure what the exact plan was, but instead the 24-bit address ($C293D0, in big-endian order) is written there which results in garbage code. I haven't tested to see if it crashes but if it doesn't, it's a lucky miracle.

You're right, that's a mistake. Fix posted below.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2019, 10:10:58 pm by kethinov »

teahouser

• View Profile
« Reply #902 on: November 08, 2019, 04:33:12 pm »
Thanks for checking. It's weird that the saber issue isn't an issue, but at least there's no short-term rush to work out a change.

The goblin village is currently hardcoded to always be daytime. There are issues with the colors used by the fires and stew liquid that need to be resolved before other times of day wouldn't look wrong. I want the stew pot event to probably always be during evening (or maybe night? will need to see what looks best), but until I work out the color issues it has to be day.

And to elaborate, said color issues are things like the fires sharing some colors with flowers, so if the fires are made to glow at night, it also makes certain flowers glow at night. Or the stew using a flame color. Things of that nature. The fires need to be adjusted to use the common flame colors, etc.

I like your idea about having the stew pot event happen at night. You most likely trigger the event and get whacked by the goblins during the morning/daytime lighting, so seeing the cut scene at night time would imply he's been unconscious for a period of time before we rejoin him via cutscene, which I feel flows better story wise.

Adjusting all those colors sounds difficult, but I was thinking in some circumstances having the fire's color be shared by other things like flowers can be a benefit, especially at night. You can use the fact it shares the same colors to have fauna light up near the pot, mimicking a light up effect the fire would naturally cast on objects in the village.

Queue

• View Profile
« Reply #903 on: November 08, 2019, 05:27:05 pm »
It's not that pleasant or controllable; it would be any flower anywhere, not just in the Goblin Village, that is that same color. The way the day night cycle makes stuff glow at night is it has a list of colors to exempt from being affected (darkened, generally). The list is fairly small both for performance reasons and to avoid erroneous glows. I slightly tweaked Tasnica torch colors, and will ultimately likely just be doing the same here (I had taken a stab at it with mediocre results but will try again at some point).

hmsong

• View Profile
« Reply #904 on: November 08, 2019, 06:35:07 pm »
Can anyone tell me how to make a spell get past Wall?  I want to make some of the buffs get through Wall (Lunar Boost, Speed Up, Defender), but I have no idea how.  I know kethinov made his Burst go through, so I know it's possible.  I was playing around with Mech Rider 3, and him using Dust Flare just... seems boring (he just stand around casting Dust Flare, and nothing else).  I'm thinking of giving him Lunar Boost (meaning all Mech Riders will have Lunar Boost instead of Speed Up), and MR3 having its Wall back.  But of course, that means I have to make it so that MRs check for Lunar Boost (instead of Speed Up), and it going through Wall.

November 08, 2019, 06:43:30 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)

@Queue

Oh, just to make some parts of bringing Stardust Herb into your patch easier, here's some codes:

Code: [Select]
'[Rabite]
@OFF $D03A53
RAW 40 1E
'[Buzz Bee]
@OFF $D03A58
RAW 40 32
'[Mushboom]
@OFF $D03A5D
RAW 1E 40
'[Chobin Hood]
@OFF $D03A62
RAW 3C 40
'[Iffish]
@OFF $D03A69
RAW 08 00 78 4B 43
'[Kid Goblin]
@OFF $D03A71
RAW 32 04
'[Specter]
@OFF $D03A80
RAW 45 43
'[Water Thug]
@OFF $D03A8F
RAW 4B 2E
'[Polter Chair]
@OFF $D03A94
RAW 3C 4A
'[Ma Goblin]
@OFF $D03A99
RAW 50 4B
'[Dark Funk]
@OFF $D03A9E
RAW 45 43
'[Steamed Crab]
@OFF $D03ACB
RAW 41 43
'[Howler]
@OFF $D03ADA
RAW 44 4B
'[LA Funk]
@OFF $D03AE4
RAW 45 43
'[Emberman]
@OFF $D03B11
RAW 4B 43
'[Dinofish]
@OFF $D03B2C
RAW 88 00 78 4B 43
'[Mimic Box]
@OFF $D03B34
RAW 4B 43
'[Kimono Wizard]
@OFF $D03B3E
RAW 4B 43
'[Beast Zombie]
@OFF $D03B5C
RAW 44 4B
'[Ghoul]
@OFF $D03B61
RAW 44 4B
'[Marmablue]
@OFF $D03B70
RAW 4B 43
'[Fierce Head]
@OFF $D03B75
RAW 4B 43

' Pandora 2 (18FC7F)
@OFF $D8FC7F ' Chocolate
RAW BB
@OFF $D8FC80 ' Faerie Walnut
RAW BD
@OFF $D8FC81 ' Stardust Herb
RAW C5
@OFF $D8FC82 ' Cup of Wishes
RAW BF
@OFF $D8FC83 ' Head Gear
RAW 7F
@OFF $D8FC84 ' Quill Cap
RAW 80
@OFF $D8FC85 ' Spikey Suit
RAW 95
@OFF $D8FC86 ' Kung Fu Dress
RAW 96
@OFF $D8FC87 '
RAW A9

' Neko-Upperland (89)
@OFF $D8FC89 '
RAW BA
@OFF $D8FC8A '
RAW BB
@OFF $D8FC8B ' Royal Jam
RAW BC
@OFF $D8FC8C ' Faerie Walnut
RAW BD
@OFF $D8FC8D ' Medical Herb
RAW BE
@OFF $D8FC8E ' Cup of Wishes
RAW BF
@OFF $D8FC8F ' Barrel
RAW C4
@OFF $D8FC90 ' Quill Cap
RAW 80
@OFF $D8FC91 ' Steel Cap
RAW 81
@OFF $D8FC92 ' Fancy Overalls
RAW 97
@OFF $D8FC93 '
RAW A9

' Matango (95)
@OFF $D8FC95 '
RAW BA
@OFF $D8FC96 '
RAW BB
@OFF $D8FC97 '
RAW BD
@OFF $D8FC98 ' Stardust Herb
RAW C5
@OFF $D8FC99 '
RAW BF
@OFF $D8FC9A ' Steel Cap
RAW 81
@OFF $D8FC9B ' Golden Tiara
RAW 82
@OFF $D8FC9C '
RAW 97
@OFF $D8FC9D '
RAW AA

' Todo (9F)
@OFF $D8FC9F ' Candy
RAW BA
@OFF $D8FCA0 ' Chocolate
RAW BB
@OFF $D8FCA1 ' Faerie Walnut
RAW BD
@OFF $D8FCA2 ' Medical Herb
RAW BE
@OFF $D8FCA3 ' Cup of Wishes
RAW BF
@OFF $D8FCA4 ' Golden Tiara
RAW 82
@OFF $D8FCA5 ' Raccoon Cap
RAW 83
@OFF $D8FCA6 ' Chest Guard
RAW 98
@OFF $D8FCA7 '
RAW AB

' Kakkara (A9)
@OFF $D8FCA9 ' Candy
RAW BA
@OFF $D8FCAA ' Chocolate
RAW BB
@OFF $D8FCAB ' Faerie Walnut
RAW BD
@OFF $D8FCAC ' Stardust Herb
RAW C5
@OFF $D8FCAD ' Cup of Wishes
RAW BF
@OFF $D8FCAE ' Golden Tiara
RAW 82
@OFF $D8FCAF '
RAW 98
@OFF $D8FCB0 '
RAW 99
@OFF $D8FCB1 '
RAW AB

' Southtown (B3)
@OFF $D8FCB3 ' Candy
RAW BA
@OFF $D8FCB4 ' Chocolate
RAW BB
@OFF $D8FCB5 ' Faerie Walnut
RAW BD
@OFF $D8FCB6 ' Medical Herb
RAW BE
@OFF $D8FCB7 ' Stardust Herb
RAW C5
@OFF $D8FCB8 ' Cup of Wishes
RAW BF
@OFF $D8FCB9 ' Raccoon Cap
RAW 83
@OFF $D8FCBA ' Quilted Hood
RAW 84
@OFF $D8FCBB '
RAW 99
@OFF $D8FCBC '
RAW 9A
@OFF $D8FCBD '
RAW AB
@OFF $D8FCBE '
RAW AC

' Northtown (C1)
@OFF $D8FCC1 ' Candy
RAW BA
@OFF $D8FCC2 ' Chocolate
RAW BB
@OFF $D8FCC3 ' Faerie Walnut
RAW BD
@OFF $D8FCC4 ' Medical Herb
RAW BE
@OFF $D8FCC5 ' Stardust Herb
RAW C5
@OFF $D8FCC6 ' Cup of Wishes
RAW BF
@OFF $D8FCC7 ' Quilted Hood
RAW 84
@OFF $D8FCC8 ' Tiger Cap
RAW 85
@OFF $D8FCC9 ' Tiger Suit
RAW 9B
@OFF $D8FCCA ' Tiger Bikini
RAW 9C
@OFF $D8FCCB '
RAW AC
@OFF $D8FCCC '
RAW AD

' Gold Isle (D7)
@OFF $D8FCD7 '
RAW BB
@OFF $D8FCD8 ' Royal Jam
RAW BC
@OFF $D8FCD9 ' Faerie Walnut
RAW BD
@OFF $D8FCDA ' Stardust Herb
RAW C5
@OFF $D8FCDB ' Cup of Wishes
RAW BF
@OFF $D8FCDC ' Unicorn Helm
RAW 88
@OFF $D8FCDD ' Dragon Helm
RAW 89
@OFF $D8FCDE ' Tortoise Mail
RAW 9E
@OFF $D8FCDF ' Flower Suit
RAW 9F
@OFF $D8FCE0 ' Gold Bracelet
RAW AF
@OFF $D8FCE1 ' Shield Ring
RAW B0

' Tasnica (E3)
@OFF $D8FCE3 '
RAW BA
@OFF $D8FCE4 '
RAW BB
@OFF $D8FCE5 '
RAW BC
@OFF $D8FCE6 '
RAW BD
@OFF $D8FCE7 '
RAW BE
@OFF $D8FCE8 ' Stardust Herb
RAW C5
@OFF $D8FCE9 ' Cup of Wishes
RAW BF
@OFF $D8FCEA ' Dragon Helm
RAW 89
@OFF $D8FCEB ' Duck Helm
RAW 8A
'@OFF $D8FCEC ' Battle Suit
'RAW A0
@OFF $D8FCED ' Lazuri Ring
RAW B1
@OFF $D8FCEE ' Guardian Ring
RAW B2
« Last Edit: November 08, 2019, 06:44:36 pm by hmsong »

kethinov

• View Profile
« Reply #905 on: November 08, 2019, 07:38:03 pm »
It's pretty involved. The code that controls whether a spell goes through Wall is basically a spell whitelist (the two Mana Magics and Dispel Magic) and it isn't easy to expand the list. I had to fork the Wall bounce logic into buffer space and write a new subroutine that expanded the list of exceptions to Wall from 3 to 4, then jump back to the original subroutine from where it left off. I thought about altering the logic to make it so the list could be expanded to an arbitrary number of spells in the process, but it would've required a lot of effort to design something that would support a large number of disparate hacks adding or removing exceptions willy nilly being mixed and matched, so I punted the problem.

On a related note, I found a bug: Wall will reflect Revivifier cast on a ghost. (Wall status is preserved on ghosts.)

November 08, 2019, 10:08:07 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
New Hack: Fix Dark Lich Head Bang Glitch

This patch prevents Dark Lich from being pinned using the "head bang" glitch. Side effect: he will no longer chase you when he is underground, but this was easily avoided in the original AI logic anyway by staying to his left or right.

Download: http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/4780/

Updated hack: Harder Final Boss

- Fixed crash Queue pointed out.
- Dark Lich spell list changed from the rather nonthreatening Freeze, HP Absorb, Earth Slide, Thunderbolt, Dark Force, Evil Gate, and Dispel Magic each against a single target to the much more vicious combination of Blaze Wall against all targets and MP Absorb sometimes against all targets, sometimes against one target.
- Dark Lich will attack more aggressively and go underground less often.
- Incorporated "Fix Dark Lich Head Bang Glitch" hack.

Download: http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/4412/

Requires special variant to be compatible with Inferno Barrier: http://kethinov.com/images/linked/som/hardfinal/SecretofManaHarderFinalBoss1.3InfernoBarriersupport.zip

Also Stardust Herb is on RHDN now: http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/4781/
« Last Edit: November 09, 2019, 12:10:05 am by kethinov »

Queue

• View Profile
« Reply #906 on: November 09, 2019, 12:37:04 am »
Thanks hmsong, that saves me quite a bit of work.

Quote from: kethinov
On a related note, I found a bug: Wall will reflect Revivifier cast on a ghost. (Wall status is preserved on ghosts.)
Do you mean ghost enemies, or dead players? What's the result of the reflect, healing a random target?

kethinov

• View Profile
« Reply #907 on: November 09, 2019, 12:38:40 am »
Dead players. I was fighting Dark Lich, had Wall up, he killed Popoi, I cast Revivifier on him, it reflected to Dark Lich, doing damage to him and not resurrecting the ghost. Repeatedly casting Revivifier on the ghost eventually wears down the Wall and it resurrects the ghost.

lexluthermiester

• View Profile
« Reply #908 on: November 09, 2019, 01:39:22 am »
Dead players. I was fighting Dark Lich, had Wall up, he killed Popoi, I cast Revivifier on him, it reflected to Dark Lich, doing damage to him and not resurrecting the ghost. Repeatedly casting Revivifier on the ghost eventually wears down the Wall and it resurrects the ghost.
Wow! Weird. That's been fixed?

hmsong

• View Profile
« Reply #909 on: November 09, 2019, 06:32:27 am »
Wait, what exactly is Dark Lich head bang glitch?  How do you activate that?  I fought that thing, but I don't think I was able to pin him.

kethinov

• View Profile
« Reply #910 on: November 09, 2019, 12:33:42 pm »
In vanilla, if you stand in the position that I am in the screenshot when he's underground and his head is up, the Dark Lich goes into an unbreakable loop of moving up and down and will never attack you, so long as you don't move either. You can swing your weapons and cast spells on him with impunity and he won't fight back. The "head bang" glitch is the preferred exploit of SoM speed runners when fighting Dark Lich.

Queue

• View Profile
« Reply #911 on: November 09, 2019, 02:35:26 pm »
Okay, looked into the dispel issue I was worried about, and apparently:
LDA+Y $E1FA ' UPDATE_FLAGS
ORA #04 ' +weapon
STA+Y $E1FA ' UPDATE_FLAGS
is adequate to also recalculate weapon stats (I thought it was just for updating weapon visuals), specifically, it includes resetting the actor's weapon element proc, and renders an explicit call via
JSR $C04530 ' MasterCharacterSetupredundant (MasterCharacterSetup automatically gets called when some other code sees the weapon update flag is set). Whew.

I'll likely be turning Wall bypassing into a data-driven mechanism (some bit somewhere in spell data deciding) rather than the vanilla hardcoded list. I should be able to do so in a compact way that could just be included with any spell hack that wants the feature (where if two write the same thing to the same spot it shouldn't conflict), but it'll be up to you if you want to adopt it kethinov. I'm hoping to over-plan it so I won't ever need to revise it later.

Same idea with the high level spell animations, but that's quite a bit more complicated.

Edit: And I think I already have something for the Wall bypass, though I want feedback on the logic / choice of data.

The gist is, use the spell's target type, specifically overloading the "boy with sword" bit, 0x40, to mean bypass Wall, with a small tweak to targeting code so if the target type is ONLY 0x40, do the "boy with sword" target restriction for the two Mana Magics. So Dispel Magic's (vanilla) target type would change from 0x81 (enemies, multi-targetable), to 0xC1 (enemies, wall-bypass, multi-targetable). Then any other spell could have 0x40 added to let it also bypass Wall.

This only presents a limitation for Moon Energy, since it's ally, single-target (0x00), where adding 0x40 would just make it 0x40. Two unused bits, 0x08 and 0x04 (and technically 0x10, but I use that for the enemy / ally Turn Undead / Dispel on allies feature) could be harmlessly tacked on for Moon Energy (so 0x48 or 0x44) to make it skip the "boy with sword" code, though I may give them a use later so not the safest choice (I also sorta use 0x08 currently in some QuickSpell logic, though that can be rewritten to not need that bit). It seems like a harmless limitation given the benefits of no longer needing a hardcoded list of Wall bypassing spells.

My first pass implementation only requires changing 10 bytes (including the byte for the Dispel Magic target type), and fits in place (it actually leaves 8 bytes free where the hardcoded spell numbers were before).

Another option for maximum compatibility could be to leave Dispel Magic as a hardcoded bypass, so its target type wouldn't need changing, but also with bit 0x40 letting any other spell bypass Wall. There's code space to do this, just seems less elegant than simply changing Dispel Magic's target type.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2019, 05:34:07 pm by Queue »

teahouser

• View Profile
« Reply #912 on: November 09, 2019, 05:32:06 pm »
Question, when patching with both Enemy_Stat_Changes and Monster_Stat_Modifiers on, do they cancel one another out, or do the Monster_Stat_Modifiers multipliers go off of the new HP/MP stats created by the Enemy_Stat_Changes patch?

Queue

• View Profile
« Reply #913 on: November 09, 2019, 05:36:30 pm »
Monster_Stat_Modifiers multiplies the values changed by Enemy_Stat_Changes. They're compatible with each other.

That was what drove me to replace "Easier or Harder Monsters" with Monster_Stat_Modifiers. Technically you could combine kethinov's "Adjust Enemy Difficulty" (his newer name for "Easier or Harder Monsters", via his IPS patches) with Monster_Stat_Modifiers and it would multiply off of whatever values "Adjust Enemy Difficulty" sets.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2019, 05:43:42 pm by Queue »

teahouser

• View Profile
« Reply #914 on: November 09, 2019, 06:47:21 pm »
OK perfect that's what I was hoping for. Even at 7x HP/MP enemies and bosses don't last very long with level 99 maxed out party, so with the Enemy_Stat_Changes that'll give them even more HP for me to whack away at, thanks for the reply.

Not sure if this is normal or not, but second room in the Pandora Ruins with the two Chess Knights, if I poison them the text window that pops up displays the "po" from poisoned at the end, then a second text window pops up that just has "isoned" dispalyed. Is that correct or should the complete word poisoned appear on the second window?

EDIT: Looks like it might be having Relocalized on, it makes the Chess Knight's name longer so any info about status ailments or buffs pours into a second text window.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2019, 06:56:34 pm by teahouser »

Queue

• View Profile
« Reply #915 on: November 09, 2019, 07:05:01 pm »
Yeah, sounds like a Relocalized bug. Probably the only reasonable option will be to pare back the enemy name (well, or make them immune to poison if poisoned is the longest message, don't recall that off the top of my head either).

Edit: Though it doesn't look like Relocalized elongated that enemy name; "Chess Knight" = 12 characters, "Unicorn Head" = 12 characters. Hm, I'll just have to go check that specific scenario and see where the problem is.

Edit2: Found it, Magical Herb item name edit isn't Relocalized compatible. It ends up overwriting a null terminator and the "W" in Wizard Eye, turning "Unicorn Head" into "Unicorn Headagizard Eye" which is obviously too long of a name. Fixed for next release.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2019, 08:44:53 pm by Queue »

hmsong

• View Profile
« Reply #916 on: November 09, 2019, 11:14:40 pm »
Hot damn, Queue.

How are you finding all these things?  Amazing.

I'm looking forward to your Wall-bypass thing.

Btw, what is Ice Castle Drum game-over immunity about?  I don't get how you can use Wind Drum to become immune to game over.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2019, 12:05:10 am by hmsong »

Queue

• View Profile
« Reply #917 on: November 10, 2019, 12:34:26 am »
You know how you cannot die during the Ice Castle part of the game? Santa just yells at you and kicks you out. Well, supposedly there's some order of events you can do to not complete the Ice Castle until after you get Flammie, then go to the Ice Castle and enter, then walk out the front door and use the Flammie Drum; the death immunity isn't cleared until you go south another screen into the icy crystal forest so you keep the death immunity as long as you don't go into the forest.

Simply disabling the drum on that one screen avoids the issue regardless of how it's done.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2019, 12:42:33 am by Queue »

kethinov

• View Profile
« Reply #918 on: November 10, 2019, 01:04:22 am »
Updated hack: No Missable Monsters

This is a significant overhaul:
  • Tomato Man moved to prevent bug causing crystal orb to not spawn.
  • Sand Stinger was still missable and was added to new spot in Kakkara desert.
  • Adding an extra Imp and Nitro Pumpkin was unnecessary and that was reverted.
  • Dark Funk, Red Drop, Dark Ninja, and Wizard Eye were moved into slightly better spots.
  • Bug fixed causing Wizard Eye to be pushable.
  • Luka's Ice Thug will now be a Water Thug until you attain Pure Land access.
  • Incorporated "Revisit Sunken Continent" and "Revisit Pure Land" hacks by Queue to provide more elegant way to render Fierce Head, Steelpion, Ghoul, Gremlin, Griffin Hand, Mushgloom, Ice Thug, and Ghost revisitable. Queue: I refactored the code in "Revisit Sunken Continent" to auto extend the bridge to prevent the needing to irrelevantly talk to the girl. I don't believe there are any significant side effects to my revised code, but this should be reviewed just in case.
  • Unstuck a few more monsters from walls: A Water Thug in Matango Caves, a Howler in Ice Country, and a Fierce Head in Palace of Darkness.
  • The Shadow X enemies can now be refought if you visit them again in Joch's Cave.
  • Moved a few more monsters around to make them better positioned:
  • Some Chobin Hoods were moved from those weird pits/islands outside of Elinee's Castle to the ramparts of the castle instead. This pairs well with Accessible Ramparts.
  • A Red Drop in Fire Palace has been moved from a useless dead end to a place where you are more likely to have to fight him.
  • A Dark Ninja in a dead end of Palace of Darkness was changed to an Imp so that he might pose a threat to you via his long distance attacks whereas the Dark Ninja would not.
Download: http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/4555/

OK perfect that's what I was hoping for. Even at 7x HP/MP enemies and bosses don't last very long with level 99 maxed out party, so with the Enemy_Stat_Changes that'll give them even more HP for me to whack away at, thanks for the reply.

Not sure if this is normal or not, but second room in the Pandora Ruins with the two Chess Knights, if I poison them the text window that pops up displays the "po" from poisoned at the end, then a second text window pops up that just has "isoned" dispalyed. Is that correct or should the complete word poisoned appear on the second window?

EDIT: Looks like it might be having Relocalized on, it makes the Chess Knight's name longer so any info about status ailments or buffs pours into a second text window.

A probably not related but similar bug I've seen is sometimes when targeting the Dark Lich or the Mana Beast, instead of saying "Dark Lich" or "Mana Beast" it will say "Dark Lichin" or "Mana Beastin." Not sure what could be causing that. This was with the vanilla script, not Relocalized.

I think I already have something for the Wall bypass, though I want feedback on the logic / choice of data.

The gist is, use the spell's target type, specifically overloading the "boy with sword" bit, 0x40, to mean bypass Wall, with a small tweak to targeting code so if the target type is ONLY 0x40, do the "boy with sword" target restriction for the two Mana Magics. So Dispel Magic's (vanilla) target type would change from 0x81 (enemies, multi-targetable), to 0xC1 (enemies, wall-bypass, multi-targetable). Then any other spell could have 0x40 added to let it also bypass Wall.

This only presents a limitation for Moon Energy, since it's ally, single-target (0x00), where adding 0x40 would just make it 0x40. Two unused bits, 0x08 and 0x04 (and technically 0x10, but I use that for the enemy / ally Turn Undead / Dispel on allies feature) could be harmlessly tacked on for Moon Energy (so 0x48 or 0x44) to make it skip the "boy with sword" code, though I may give them a use later so not the safest choice (I also sorta use 0x08 currently in some QuickSpell logic, though that can be rewritten to not need that bit). It seems like a harmless limitation given the benefits of no longer needing a hardcoded list of Wall bypassing spells.

My first pass implementation only requires changing 10 bytes (including the byte for the Dispel Magic target type), and fits in place (it actually leaves 8 bytes free where the hardcoded spell numbers were before).

Another option for maximum compatibility could be to leave Dispel Magic as a hardcoded bypass, so its target type wouldn't need changing, but also with bit 0x40 letting any other spell bypass Wall. There's code space to do this, just seems less elegant than simply changing Dispel Magic's target type.

Very clever. I have no opinion as to which bit to reserve. It sounds like you've thought it through pretty well.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2019, 02:58:01 am by kethinov »

hmsong

• View Profile
« Reply #919 on: November 10, 2019, 02:30:57 am »
@kethinov

Excellent!  Trying out the new No Missable Monsters and Neko Mana Fortress.

I like how your patch allows Grand Palace's bridge to be always open after the continent rose again.  I also love how you can fight the Shadow Xs again.  And your Turtlances in Turtle Island is awesome.

Hmm.  Why is Neko (in Mana Fortress before Dark Lich) floating in mid-air?  I can't even talk to him.  Or is this happening because of combining with Turbo patch?

I like your new Luka's monster thing.  I wish she also had Shellblast/Turtlance too, instead of just Water Thug/Ice Thug (you receive Spear from Luka after all, and Javelin is from Undine).  In any case, the current one is good too, no doubt.

Have you thought about combining No Missable Monsters with Emperor Castle Gate patch?  That would also make Dark Ninja, Magic Book, and Emberman to be unnecessary for No Missable Monsters.

I know you wanted Evil Sword and Polter Chair to be next to Watts, but I thought it would be neat to have them right outside the Witch's castle, instead of the forest.  After all, she needs some kind of defense in her castle (and the ending makes us think that she can still control non-sentient monsters).  And maybe Chess Knight too (it is supposed to be a "Knight").

November 10, 2019, 10:56:07 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)

@kethinov, @Queue

Could you also add the following for Stardust Herb?  I realized that the final Neko can be used rather often (Underground City, Grand Palace, Pure Land, Mana Fortress):

' Neko-Grand Palace (F0)
@OFF $D8FCF0 ' Chocolate
RAW BB
@OFF $D8FCF1 ' Royal Jam
RAW BC
@OFF $D8FCF2 ' Faerie Walnut
RAW BD
@OFF $D8FCF3 ' Medical Herb
RAW BE
@OFF $D8FCF4 ' Stardust Herb
RAW C5