Good news! The Manual Blocking from zhaDe's Gameplay Improvement (which is inherently part of Turbo) works great against most of the BS boss attacks, and the Mantis sonicboom is among those blockable. It works against any attacks that specifically aren't spells, so as long as you block, you're safe. However, nothing will protect you from spells (except magic that protects you from spells).
The blocking is sorta too good at the moment, but you also can't attack (or do anything else) while blocking, so I'm not really concerned. Probably the most unfair gimmick is you can hold block after an enemy eats you and it will protect you from the damage you take when spit out. Not totally sure I want to change that because the attacks are definitely in the BS category but that's not set in stone.
Yeah, I plan to add all of Kethinov's stuff, though I still need to get in contact with them to check their opinion on doing so.
The logo accent has been on my mind since I chose the name, but editing the logo is a huge pain in the butt, especially if I do it how I want to (the "Turbo" word wouldn't show until later in the intro after the letterbox has opened wide). I played with doing it in black so it'd be hidden by the letterbox due to matching color, but it looked crummy. The palette has good shades of red though so it's within the realm of possible, just low priority since it's a lot of work for a trivial reward.
Here's what I've done since my last post:
- Improved FastROM implementation (this has the strongest effect on ZSNES, so bummer if you don't like ZSNES; speed improvements on more accurate emulators are less pronounced)
- Fixed Rain of Arrows in locations where it didn't work
- Fixed CPU-controlled ally's charge bar sometimes not disappearing
- Slightly increased bow range over zhaDe's already slight increase
- Fixed the character permadeath bug, probably (I don't know how to reliably reproduce it)
- Implemented a fix so that wisdom stat on armor works (pretty sure Regrs was the first person to specify this fix)
- Implemented a variation of Mop's Weapon Affinity damage fix (so that weapons that say they're strong against X actually are); +25% damage
- Split Faster CPU Ally decision making off from zhaDe's Better CPU Ally AI
- Implemented a fix related to a Mana Tree cutscene when using [CPUs_Dont_Block_Screen] and / or [Walk_To_Edges_Of_Screen] (thanks to Mop and Timbo)
- Implemented a variation of Mop's weapon Overcharge fix
- Implemented Mop's Hittable Vampires patch (that lets a vampire be attacked when their cape is closed, this will likely be off by default depending on balance implications)