News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Metroid Xerox Mission (Metroid 1 hack) [Brinstar + Norfair Demo]  (Read 6442 times)

DannyPlaysSomeGames

• Wait, this isn't Burger King
    • View Profile
Re: Metroid Xerox Mission (Metroid 1 hack) [Brinstar + Norfair Demo]
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2019, 12:39:55 pm »
It's been a while since I've posted on here so let me just sum it up: I just started recently to rebuild the entire ROM hack from scratch. This means that I am manually importing each and every screen in the Demo ROM + the screens I was working on into a fresh new ROM, due to the fact that the original ROM I was working on was screwed up (to explain, any further additional ASM would just cause the ROM to reset everytime I start up the game, which is a huge issue, not just because of the HealyTiles ASM, but because of how I also designed the tilesets of Kraid's Lair and Tourian). This is gonna take a while because not only am I rebuilding everything, I am also making good use of the situation and reorganizing everything to be a bit cleaner graphics-wise and properly redesign Brinstar. Fret not, though, this will take a while, but it's for the better. I'm currently waiting until Grimlock releases his new version of the Editroid software, and that will help a ton, since that version includes most of the Rogue Dawn ASM, which is exactly what I need (except for slopes, but I assume I can remove that bit of code from the .proj file). If you're wondering why I haven't been updating, that's probably why. But, don't worry, I'll try and find ways to speed up the process (I think I can use the Hex editor to copy the level data of one ROM to another, so that's a plus). Anyways, hope you have a wonderful summer, and I promise to make sure this ROM hack gets eventually finished. In the meantime, have the reorganized tilesets.

Any green blocks means that it's unused space, because I'm uncertain on what to add in. Either way, I hope this satisfies a bit in the meantime.
Hey there

DavidtheIdeaMan

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2019, 12:55:08 pm »
Awesome work so far Danny,keep up the great work. :)

xttx

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2019, 02:08:16 pm »
Hey Danny This looks awesome!  :thumbsup: I am just now seeing this.

I had one question, do you know why this does not work in Nestopia? Is it because it needs an oversize mapper to work or something. Some romhacks will not work in nestopia because the prg is for example hardcoded to like 256kb for a certain mapper, and if the rom is expanded to use 512kb of prg then it will blackscreen in nestopia.

Just wondering if this is something like that in this case? Is the rom expanded in any way?

DannyPlaysSomeGames

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2019, 06:16:14 pm »
Hey Danny This looks awesome!  :thumbsup: I am just now seeing this.

I had one question, do you know why this does not work in Nestopia? Is it because it needs an oversize mapper to work or something. Some romhacks will not work in nestopia because the prg is for example hardcoded to like 256kb for a certain mapper, and if the rom is expanded to use 512kb of prg then it will blackscreen in nestopia.

Just wondering if this is something like that in this case? Is the rom expanded in any way?

Yes, actually; it's an expanded NEStroid ROM that has roughly 384 kilobytes, but still has an MMC1 mapper. That, plus some unpolished ASM that is the reason why I'm recreating it from scratch. The issue isn't that it can't run in NEStopia though; it technically can run the ROM and goes past the titlescreen. It's just that after the Samus fade in sequence, it resets back to the title screen. Hopefully, this will be fixed by the time it releases, seeing as Rogue Dawn apparently runs fine on that emulator.
Hey there

xttx

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2019, 07:52:38 am »
Yes, actually; it's an expanded NEStroid ROM that has roughly 384 kilobytes, but still has an MMC1 mapper. That, plus some unpolished ASM that is the reason why I'm recreating it from scratch. The issue isn't that it can't run in NEStopia though; it technically can run the ROM and goes past the titlescreen. It's just that after the Samus fade in sequence, it resets back to the title screen. Hopefully, this will be fixed by the time it releases, seeing as Rogue Dawn apparently runs fine on that emulator.

Ahh OK nice to hear!  :thumbsup: So basically it will most likely work soon in NEStopia in the future while you rebuild from scratch? And yea, Rogue Dawn does work well in NEStopia. This is an awesome project man, I am excited to try it out! :cookie:

Googie

• I'd like to solve the puzzle... Jiggers!
    • View Profile
    • My work in progress ROM Hacking site
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2019, 09:50:41 am »
I liked the little bit I played, it's pretty cool.

Can't wait to play the final product.  :happy:

DannyPlaysSomeGames

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2019, 04:05:15 pm »
I liked the little bit I played, it's pretty cool.

Can't wait to play the final product.  :happy:
Thanks! I'll work hard to make sure it gets finished sometime this year.
Hey there

DannyPlaysSomeGames

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2019, 02:14:11 pm »
I know I've been extremely silent for a really long while and you're probably curious on the status of the project, so I'll keep it brief:

Good news: Finally found a way to implement all the ASM I was trying to figure out how to implement :thumbsup:
Bad news: Due to said way, I am forced to rebuild the ROM from scratch again :banghead:

But, at the very least, I am more likely to make progress because the major road bumps that were in the way are now pretty much gone basically.

Though, this also leads to another issue: organizing. Everything right now is somewhat of a cluttered mess because of how rough it all is right now. Hopefully, this shouldn't delay me an awful lot, but it's still something that's in the way. Hopefully, this project can be finished eventually, now that the major issues that were in the way are gone, I've recovered from the burnout I had a while back, and school's finally slowed down a bit, I can work on it more from time to time, though looking at it right now, I might not be able to finish this year (probably January or February would be a better estimate, but again, it's an estimate, not a firm date). Oh well, late or not, I'll try to make sure the project is finished.
Hey there