News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: [Technical] [NDS] Tingle's Balloon Trip of Love Translation - Misc Hacking  (Read 310 times)

joesteve1914

• View Profile
    • Ripening Tingle's Balloon Trip of Love translation project
Hi everyone, I'm one of the members of the team that worked on the translation patch for Ripened Tingle's Balloon Trip of Love for the NDS
that released about a year ago (See my signature for a link to our project webpage). After taking a break from the project, we're finally trying to get an update for the patch out. All of the errors that have been reported are fixed, but there's two more things that we wanted to implement in the next patch, namely

As far as the credits go, I've managed to extract and edit the font, but I can't figure out how to change the character that is being displayed. I've poked around a bit, but unfortunately haven't been able to figure anything else out. I'm not too familiar with any advanced techniques or arm assembly so I don't even know where to start with the keyboard issue.

Something to note: every "screen" in the game (i.e. every area in the game and every menu) has a (executable?) file associated with it. These files are a custom format, have the extension .OLZ and are LZ77 compressed, and when decompressed they have the magic id of "ELF" in the header (or it might be FLE, not sure b/c of little endian). There's one for the keyboard screen and one for the credits.

I'm guessing that something in those files would have to be modified to accomplish what we want (but that's just a guess, not based on any technical findings.)

These are the last issues preventing the next version of the patch from being released, so if you can help in *any* way, we would really appreciate it! If you can help or need more info/any files to look at please reply in this thread, message me on RHDN, or email me at joesteve1914[at]gmail[dot]com

Thanks for your time!
« Last Edit: January 27, 2019, 11:58:46 pm by joesteve1914 »