News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Your (PC) Controller Preferences  (Read 2843 times)

EvilJagaGenius

• View Profile
    • The Jaga's Nest
Re: Your (PC) Controller Preferences
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2019, 02:12:49 pm »
Oof. I used to use that exact controller a year ago with failtastic results.

Everything will work fine at first, about after about 1 year of heavy use the D-pad would get stuck in one direction. I found it impossible to play platformers like Mega Man that required precise movement with the D-pad.

That's why I completely ditched that controller and use a PS2 controller instead.

Not trying to diss you EvilJagaGenius or anything, nor am I saying you have bad tastes in things. All I'm saying is: Buyer beware!
No offense taken, it's good to have that in mind... hopefully these hold out for a while yet.  At least now I have a bunch of recommendations to find replacements from, lol

NERV Agent

• Restricted Access
  • Eva Unit 01
    • View Profile
    • Watch my anime shitposts on YouTube! Smell them, too!
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2019, 12:39:01 am »
If anyone wonders why a D-Pad is preferable to an analog stick for side-scroller games, try playing side-scroller games with an analog stick for an extended period of time. Eventually, that analog stick will be misaligned and will always be pointing to the right even when you aren't touching it. Because most side-scrolling games always go to the right.

Oh, and sorry if you break your controller if you try that.

Disch

• NES Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2019, 08:09:46 pm »
NERV Agent:

If that is truly a problem (which hasn't been true in my experience -- maybe you're just using shit controllers), then it'd be a problem with any game that uses a stick, not just platformers.  In first-person view games, for instance, you are almost always pointing up.

I would say a better example for why D-pads are better is for any game that you have to double-tap a direction, or any kind of fighting game where you really need the precision of pressing exactly one direction and not an angle that might be interpreted as two directions.

Gemini

• 時を越えよう、そして彼女の元に戻ろう
    • View Profile
    • Apple of Eden
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2019, 05:48:53 am »
Best way to test a D-pad: launch Street Fighter 3, pick Akuma and try performing all moves. If you can pull everything just fine, including the Shungokusatsu, you have a treasure in your hands. DualShock 4 and Xbox One controller work like a charm for this, my favorite choices for PC gaming.
I am the lord, you all know my name, now. I got it all: cash, money, and fame.

FreightMan71

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2019, 05:27:34 pm »
I probably should use more specific controllers depending on what system I am emulating, but I usually go with a Logitech F310 PS2 style controller as an all purpose, general use pad.

They are sturdy built and the design fits just about any system pretty well.
N64 games and some Sega 6-button control games may take a bit of getting used to, but overall not bad.