News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: How do I extract images from an Atari Lynx Rom?  (Read 670 times)

Apocalypse612

• View Profile
How do I extract images from an Atari Lynx Rom?
« on: January 23, 2019, 10:05:15 am »
Hello all,

New to this community, I signed up here for a bit of help. I would like to extract images from an atari lynx game, "Gauntlet - The Third Encounter", in order to make a nice map. Specifically, I'm looking for enemy sprites and level backgrounds.

How would I go about doing this? I'm not very code-savvy, so I'm not quite sure where to begin. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!!

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
Re: How do I extract images from an Atari Lynx Rom?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2019, 11:49:35 am »
I don't know if I have even seen someone post Atari Lynx technical information so I don't know if tile editors even support it.

But I suppose there must be information out there if emulators exist.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
Re: How do I extract images from an Atari Lynx Rom?
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2019, 02:10:53 pm »
I'm sure you're aware that I hold the distinction of making this site create a Lynx category in the Hacks section, as I was the first to submit a hack. :) However, that was a relatively straightforward assembly hack. I didn't touch the graphics at all, so I've no idea what the graphical situation is with the Lynx.

I would suggest that you open the ROM in Tile Molester and see if you can find anything resembling graphics. Problem is, even if you do, you'll have to deal with palettes and such. Frankly the best option, in my opinion, is to just play the game in an emulator like Bizhawk and save lots of screenshots, then work from them.

Perhaps going into the ROM might reveal level layouts but that would be pretty advanced work. I think screenshots and hard work are probably the easiest method, I'm afraid. Maybe someone else who has done such things before has an opinion, though?