News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Metroid II EJRTQ Colorization  (Read 19876 times)

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
Re: Metroid II EJRTQ Colorization
« Reply #80 on: April 03, 2019, 12:41:03 pm »
I made these two mockups for a Blue and Bailey Samus:

Blue Samus:

Justin Bailey Samus:

Metalwario64

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 03, 2019, 03:19:08 pm »
Eh, the only way to make a blonde hair and blue outfit work properly would be to code in a separate palette for the tiles that make up her hair, if that's even possible. Otherwise, I think maybe brunette with a blue outfit would work, especially since she was brunette in the first game (the green hair was due to the Varia suit, which the Justin Bailey code starts you with).

Actually, I think aesthetically this might be the best option so far, since the blue helps add a sense of color to the sprites (and Game Boy Color games tended to use bold, and sometimes overly saturated colors because the screen tends to desaturate them a bit). My orange and blonde palette is okay, but I think the blonde hair might not have enough distinction from her skin tone on actual hardware.

Chicken Knife

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 03, 2019, 04:21:21 pm »
If you guys don't mind me asking, what software do you use for these mockups?

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 03, 2019, 04:34:00 pm »
If you guys don't mind me asking, what software do you use for these mockups?
Any image editor? :P
I use GIMP for the quick mockups, but this is NOT done in-game at all, it's simply done in an image editor to give the idea of how it might look like in-game once implemented.

SCD

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 03, 2019, 08:36:32 pm »
Another neat idea is maybe give her colors based on her suitless appearance from Super Metroid:

DrDimension

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 04, 2019, 01:16:00 am »
I really, really, REALLY love the 'Justin Bailey' one - such a great palette and a crazy good throw back!

Maybe once we have most of the candidates in, someone should post a poll for the more liked?

Midna

• Resident Panel de Pon Nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 04, 2019, 01:36:38 am »
I don't think the idea of "Black Samus" as seen in the original EJRT version is necessarily a bad one, but I definitely feel it could have been executed better. As is, the colors of her skin are so dark that she almost blends in with the dark space background, and definitely would on real hardware. I decided to tweak the palette a little for visibility's sake:

vivify93

• Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 04, 2019, 01:45:16 am »
That's much better. I also think the sprite would look nicer if it followed the edit that removes her outline. Like so:

All my life I've tried to fight what history has given me.

Metalwario64

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 04, 2019, 02:08:52 pm »
I really, really, REALLY love the 'Justin Bailey' one - such a great palette and a crazy good throw back!

Maybe once we have most of the candidates in, someone should post a poll for the more liked?
I like it too. The only complaint I might possibly have is that those are her suitless Varia Suit colors, which wouldn't make much sense if you didn't pick it up. The thing about that though is that the ending graphics show her in the Varia Suit regardless of whether you pick it up or not, so I guess it's a moot point.

Plus, it was included in an ending for Samus returns, so having it here would be okay too. I don't think we need a poll, just having optional patches so that people can have one of several options since her colors and outfits changed drastically from game to game.
That's much better. I also think the sprite would look nicer if it followed the edit that removes her outline. Like so:

Yeah, that looks much better.

Another neat idea is maybe give her colors based on her suitless appearance from Super Metroid:

that won't work because there aren't enough colors for it. We can only use 3 colors, with an invisible "black" outline made up of the background. Your dark grey suit, skin shadow, skin tone and hair color are four separate colors, and wouldn't work unless someone somehow separated the palette of the tiles that make up her hair.

dACE

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 05, 2019, 01:40:07 pm »
Your dark grey suit, skin shadow, skin tone and hair color are four separate colors, and wouldn't work unless someone somehow separated the palette of the tiles that make up her hair.

That is really not a problem in this case - it would be dead easy to switch between palettes per tile (I know because I’ve looked into it).

EDIT:

There are 94 tiles that has assigned palette number between offsets 9 7834 and 9 7E04.
I changed these from 02 to 05 myself and cleaned up the sprite manually (That gives samus red hair and bikini).

Of course - you have to figure out what tiles make out the head/hair - but assigning a different palette should be trivial.

/dACE
« Last Edit: April 05, 2019, 01:48:25 pm by dACE »

lexluthermiester

• View Profile
« Reply #90 on: April 05, 2019, 03:10:57 pm »
Just a thought, has anyone considered a "Justin Bailey" version of this excellent project?

Midna

• Resident Panel de Pon Nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 06, 2019, 06:51:21 am »
Just a thought, has anyone considered a "Justin Bailey" version of this excellent project?

I believe it was discussed earlier in the thread, and it was decided that there wouldn't be, because the sprite used in that hack is frankly hideous and makes Samus look like some weird square-headed lanky alien.

lexluthermiester

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 06, 2019, 11:06:07 am »
I believe it was discussed earlier in the thread, and it was decided that there wouldn't be, because the sprite used in that hack is frankly hideous and makes Samus look like some weird square-headed lanky alien.
That's kinda sad. Seems like it would be fun. No worries though, not complaining at all.  :thumbsup:

dACE

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 06, 2019, 12:26:58 pm »
That's kinda sad. Seems like it would be fun. No worries though, not complaining at all.  :thumbsup:

Then why not make it yourself?

/dACE

lexluthermiester

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 06, 2019, 05:35:13 pm »
Then why not make it yourself?

/dACE
It was just a friendly idea, no offense was intended.

Zimgief

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 11, 2019, 04:02:15 pm »
Hello, I would like to know, is it confirmed that this hack works on real hardware? I'm tempted to cart-mod it for my collection, it is so well executed!

Quantam

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 12, 2019, 09:44:33 pm »
Hello, I would like to know, is it confirmed that this hack works on real hardware? I'm tempted to cart-mod it for my collection, it is so well executed!
I know people have found it works on several real hardware. I'm not certain whether it's been tried on an actual GBC.

DrDimension

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 26, 2019, 02:39:24 pm »
Anyone make progress on making a patch for this? I have something I hacked up locally, but it looks like crap compared to what you guys have done.

vivify93

• Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 26, 2019, 03:18:21 pm »
What more do you need? The good ending Samus was covered a few pages ago. The colorization is fully out and done.

http://www.bwass.org/bucket/metroid_ii_-_color_ejrtq_v1-3_-_addendum.ips (by triforce141)

Apply it on top of a ROM with 1.3 already installed
All my life I've tried to fight what history has given me.

DrDimension

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 27, 2019, 08:22:11 pm »
Ah, thanks! I somehow missed the original link!