News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Metroid II EJRTQ Colorization  (Read 23345 times)

Q

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • Meow, busy hackers!
    • View Profile
Re: Metroid II EJRTQ Colorization
« Reply #40 on: March 05, 2019, 11:50:46 am »
- Final Fantasy Legends 1 - 3 (with Saga title screens restored)

FFL2 is one of my favorite Game Boy games. I'm working (on-and-off) on a re-translation for it. If anyone decides to do a color hack of it, I'd love to combine our efforts. There's a Saga 2 title screen hack included with my current patch here.
Sneko, the Super Nintendo Entertainment Kitty, wishes you luck.

Quantam

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 06, 2019, 02:11:46 am »
Guys, please don't talk about other games in this thread.

dACE

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 06, 2019, 03:36:00 am »
It happens in every ’colorized gameboy game’ thread:

People starts listing games and proposing further projects - becasue they lack the skills themselves.

/dACE

DannyPlaysSomeGames

• Wait, this isn't Burger King
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 06, 2019, 07:10:09 am »

People starts listing games and proposing further projects - becasue they lack the skills themselves.

/dACE
This in general. I swear so many people just write a thread to talk about ideas they want to do, but can't do for certain reasons, so they just ask of others who probably don't care to do it for them, which is just dumb. Sure, not everyone has the same capacity, and sharing ideas can help motivate others, but there's a difference between "I need help on this project" and "Do these ideas for me please". Remember, if you want something done right, do it yourself, please. Put in actual effort. That's how ideas get actually done.
Hey there

Shade Aurion

• Submission Reviewer
  • Shadow Keeper
    • View Profile
    • DudeGoBack
« Reply #44 on: March 06, 2019, 04:14:31 pm »

/dACE
And like clockwork you piss and moan about it every time. You even complained about it in the "hack suggestion thread" XD
Build a bridge and get over it dude lmao

ShadowOne333 only added a list of games he'd like to see AFTER contributing to the thread, as did I. Neither of us were asking Quantum to do them or even implying that he should. It was off topic discussion and Quantum has made it clear he wants to keep this thread focused.

EvilJagaGenius

• View Profile
    • The Jaga's Nest
« Reply #45 on: March 06, 2019, 06:46:00 pm »
Congrats on getting your hack released!  It looks sweet.

I've been wanting to play the Metroid games for a while now, and I played Zero Mission to start with.  I was thinking next I would play either Metroid II (with this hack, now that it's out) or AM2R.  Any suggestions as to which I should play first?

Shade Aurion

• Submission Reviewer
  • Shadow Keeper
    • View Profile
    • DudeGoBack
« Reply #46 on: March 06, 2019, 08:29:12 pm »
Congrats on getting your hack released!  It looks sweet.

I've been wanting to play the Metroid games for a while now, and I played Zero Mission to start with.  I was thinking next I would play either Metroid II (with this hack, now that it's out) or AM2R.  Any suggestions as to which I should play first?

Before I played AM2R the first time I played the regular GB Metroid 2 and it was the best way to do it IMHO because you can see how far things have come and what has changed. AM2R is probably my favourite Metroid game so playing this hack first you may have a similar experience :3

@Quantum
I have finished my Let's Play and will upload episodes here and there. The only noticeable bug that hasn't been mentioned as "Spring Ball" didn't appear on screen when I obtained it. Other than that you smashed it. Well done!
« Last Edit: March 10, 2019, 07:19:36 am by Shade Aurion »

Quantam

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 27, 2019, 09:35:54 pm »
So I FINALLY got an answer: black Samus was inspired by the large mount of black Samus fan art EJRT saw, and he thought it would be a great way to recapture the surprise when Nintendo first revealed Samus was female. And also a little bit political, as he's the sort that values representation in media.

Shade Aurion

• Submission Reviewer
  • Shadow Keeper
    • View Profile
    • DudeGoBack
« Reply #48 on: March 27, 2019, 11:41:21 pm »
I thought she looked different. I just shrugged it off because Metroid 1 had weird colors too. Maybe make an optional patch to have blonde white girl Samus for purists but leave as is for the base patch? Seemed fine to me. I have no complaints ^_^

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 28, 2019, 10:16:35 am »
Black Samus?
What am I missing?
I don't know why that bumped into the conv :P

dACE

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 28, 2019, 10:50:45 am »
And like clockwork you piss and moan about it every time. You even complained about it in the "hack suggestion thread" XD
Build a bridge and get over it dude lmao

Why do I get the feeling I struck a nerve here?

/dACE

triforce141

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 28, 2019, 07:54:49 pm »
Black Samus?
What am I missing?
I don't know why that bumped into the conv :P

The color palette used for Samus in the best ending is different than what you would expect, which to be fair, was EJRT's intention and did work, surprised me for sure.

I thought she looked different. I just shrugged it off because Metroid 1 had weird colors too. Maybe make an optional patch to have blonde white girl Samus for purists but leave as is for the base patch? Seemed fine to me. I have no complaints ^_^

I agree on having an optional patch as well, that way EJRTQ's intended palette can stay, and there would be a version of this hack that's aimed towards people who want a color scheme that lines up with the Metroid 2 Remakes.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 08:02:53 pm by triforce141 »

Shade Aurion

• Submission Reviewer
  • Shadow Keeper
    • View Profile
    • DudeGoBack
« Reply #52 on: March 29, 2019, 01:13:23 pm »
I personally like black Samus with purple hair. She looks great. But to market to purists and people who get butthurt over anything mildly PC it would likely be worth making an optional patch so people have nothing to cry about. I wouldn't have suggested it if this wasn't undoubtedly the best version of classic Metroid 2 =)

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 29, 2019, 01:58:02 pm »
Here's a quick mockup I did in like 5 mins, feel free to change stuff around in case someone can make it better.
Take into consideration that we are limited to 3 colours for Samus, here I used a brown, beige and a light orange colour.
The 4th one is transparency, which in this case is taken as black due to the background colour.

If at all, I'd like her hair to be blond and her outfit somewhat blue, but I don't know how feasible this might be given the current limitations.

With current limitations:

My desired mockup. Clothing can be perhaps blue (for overall consistency) or orange (to match her Zero Mission images):
« Last Edit: March 29, 2019, 02:28:55 pm by ShadowOne333 »

Quantam

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 29, 2019, 09:54:32 pm »
I'd be lying if I said I didn't want Samus to be colored according to be canon, but one of the main principles of EJRTQ was that EJRT was the art, I was the hacking/programming. So I'm not planning to change it unless he changes his mind. That said, an optional patch is a good idea; I might do that.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2019, 10:09:43 pm by Quantam »

vivify93

• Submission Reviewer
  • Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 29, 2019, 11:20:12 pm »
The old colorization project did this, apparently.

I think it could stand to be yellower, but it's a good start.

Black Samus' palette could stand to be tweaked too, tbh
All my life I've tried to fight what history has given me.

Metalwario64

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 29, 2019, 11:27:58 pm »
The old colorization project did this, apparently.

I think it could stand to be yellower, but it's a good start.

Black Samus' palette could stand to be tweaked too, tbh
Yeah, on an actual GBC screen, you wouldn't be able to see her.

I personally think the old brown outfit and brown hair look is the best, since the sprite was designed with that kind of color brightness in mind, since it uses the darker shade for shaded skin. Changing that makes it look flatter. One could also remove the outline since the background is black and use that for an extra shade of blond hair if that's important to you, but her hair was brown in Metroid 1, so having it be brown here would be more in line with what we'd have actually seen, and removing the outline would make the star field show through her implied outlined area (which honestly wouldn't be noticeable on an actual GB screen).
« Last Edit: March 29, 2019, 11:35:12 pm by Metalwario64 »

Shade Aurion

• Submission Reviewer
  • Shadow Keeper
    • View Profile
    • DudeGoBack
« Reply #57 on: March 30, 2019, 01:13:36 am »
My desired mockup. Clothing can be perhaps blue (for overall consistency) or orange (to match her Zero Mission images):

I'd say that is a winner and def keep it optional only. Out of respect and because I like it :p

SCD

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 30, 2019, 01:14:29 am »
Here's my edit of the ending screen:

I edited the image that vivify93 uploaded by adding the orange color from ShadowOne333's edited image, and this the results.

Shade Aurion

• Submission Reviewer
  • Shadow Keeper
    • View Profile
    • DudeGoBack
« Reply #59 on: March 30, 2019, 01:28:49 am »
Here's my edit of the ending screen:

I edited the image that vivify93 uploaded by adding the orange color from ShadowOne333's edited image, and this the results.

That one is pretty nice. Might be my favourite so far =)